Author Topic: Beta Repair System Restore  (Read 152867 times)

Offline T100

• View Profile
Re: Beta Repair System Restore
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 07:41:53 am »
The only way to get .net working again is to fully remove it and reinstall it.

This tool will do the removing for you :-)

Do that, reboot and then install .net again.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Shane
Yep that did the trick followed your instructions great job !
just wish we could get your Beta Restore to do the same now  :thinking:
cheers Shane keep up your great work
T
  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:44:31 am by T100 »

Offline TiredOfWindows

• View Profile
Re: Beta Repair System Restore -- SUCCESS!!
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 11:22:49 pm »
All the trouble on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine began right after I installed Microsoft's EMET patch and then uninstalled it a day later because it slowed the computer down to a crawl.... (but strangely, EMET on the XP virtual machine doesn't seem to impact it at all.....)

The first problem I noticed (a week or so ago) was IE9 was now working very erratically - sometimes it would connect to old IE Favorites OK and other times it would just sit there spinning its wheels.  But then I found that System Restore was completely dead, which I mistakenly thought was a side effect of my next discovery; ALL my Restore points had been wiped out!! There was nothing listed there at all! - and I wasn't allowed to create any new ones.... But I did notice that my playing around with System Restore resulted in 24 copies of rstrui.exe all running simultaneously.

I did a Microsoft Windows Repair at bootup, and that allowed me to create some new Restore Points, at least.  And resetting IE9 to its default settings appeared to make it connect to a variety of sites more reliably (or did I imagine that?) - but still not as smoothly as it used to.

Then today: FreeFileSynch hung up completely while I was copying from one drive to another; it simply stopped. I discovered that I couldn't shut down the hung-up FreeFileSynch by using the Task Manager, but Process Explorer was able to shut it down (after a delay).

Then I discovered that now I could list a few recent Restore Points (although some less recent ones had disappeared - again) and I could still create new Restore Points (so I increased the disk space allocated to saving Restore Points, in case that was playing a part in all this). But System Restore still refused to run (nothing would appear to happen when I clicked on it) - and then I found (using the Task Manager) that yet again I had multiple instances of rstrui.exe running simultaneously (8 or 9).  So I closed all those down (using Process Explorer again) and rebooted and then ran Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One) (v 1.9.18) for the very first time.

It ran MalwareBytes (which I aborted before it finished, because it was finding nothing, and I do frequent virus checks anyway); then CHKDSK (which reported some (unspecified!) errors - or was that just the persistent bad sector?); and then Microsoft's System File Checker which found numerous errors, including some (unspecified!) files that it said it could not fix....?

Then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair tried to repair the computer and I ran the beta System Restore Repair at the end, and rebooted.

Success!  Now some long-gone Restore Points have reappeared! And now System Restore offers to apply them:

And somehow Tweaking.com - Windows Repair restored the two long-gone System Image restore points at the bottom of the list!

Questions:

Does Windows Defender inhibit Tweaking.com - Windows Repair? Because I forgot to disable it, and of all the logs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One), only two (windows_repair_hkey_local_machine_3_log.txt and windows_repair_hkey_local_machine_4_log.txt) seem to contain any information about what Tweaking.com - Windows Repair actually achieved. There were several warnings about "registry key is skipped (contains wildcard)" and "C:\System Volume Information\{long string1}{long string2} - CreateFile Error : 5 Access is denied" but almost the all the log files are completely empty, and the remainder don't say what Tweaking.com - Windows Repair actually succeeded in doing.

But something must worked in all of that, because System Restore now appears to be operational again!!!

And Question 2:

I finally pinned down the new (deviant) behavior of IE9 while I was fiddling with all this: it won't connect to any https site (such as https://www.google.com/) if I'm in any tab other than the very first one that IE9 opens up...  Does anyone know how to fix this annoyance?

ToM

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2013, 02:05:30 pm »
Glad to hear my tool helped :-)

From the sounds of it, it was a permissions problem.

But I am more curious on the chkdsk. If you have bad sectors that would explain a lot of the problems.

Have you done a bad sector check on the drive yet?

Does Windows Defender inhibit Tweaking.com - Windows Repair? Because I forgot to disable it, and of all the logs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One), only two (windows_repair_hkey_local_machine_3_log.txt and windows_repair_hkey_local_machine_4_log.txt) seem to contain any information about what Tweaking.com - Windows Repair actually achieved. There were several warnings about "registry key is skipped (contains wildcard)" and "C:\System Volume Information\{long string1}{long string2} - CreateFile Error : 5 Access is denied" but almost the all the log files are completely empty, and the remainder don't say what Tweaking.com - Windows Repair actually succeeded in doing.

That depends on what the AV flags. Some AV will stop the program from accessing certain things and such and sometimes things get flagged as a false positive. So to be safe I ask people to disable the AV. It also helps speed up the repairs since the AV ist scanning every single file the repair touches.

As for the contains wild cards, this is normal and you can ignore those.

The "C:\System Volume Information\{long string1}{long string2} is where the restore points are kept. The beta repair tries to take permission of those. If you have bad secotrs it can really mees witht he files and permissions.

Shane

Offline TiredOfWindows

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 11:55:06 pm »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the feedback! The single 4K bad sector has shown up repeatedly on CHKDSK runs, ever since I lost power during a thunderstorm several weeks ago.  It's the only bad sector on a 1 terabyte drive, so I don't worry about it.  Presumably it got corrupted.  Someday I'll try to fix it; right now I don't know of any utility s/w that can do that.

I didn't get any messages from Windows Defender when I ran your Windows Repair, so presumably there was no conflict there.

My latest problem is that all the Restore Points except the two System Image Restore Points disappeared (again) after I used 64-bit CCleaner; I was allowed to create a new one, however. So CCleaner is my prime suspect right now.  No, I didn't try using it to weed out "old" Restore Points; if it erased them it did so entirely on its own initiative.  I see web postings that indicate lots of other folks have been having the same problem; meanwhile the author(s) deny that it's possible. Yeah, right, sure!

ToW

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
A bad sector is a hardware problem and even with just 1 bad sector more will come. If the drive is under warranty you should get it replaced while you can.

Any bad sectors, even one is a big no no :-)

Shane

Offline T100

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2013, 04:08:58 am »
Hi Shane   :cheesy:
Love the new colour scheme v2.0.0
(green fonts and dark background that's so cool)
still no luck on the repair system restore I'm afraid...
but hey
keep up your great work Shane I'm sure you'll crack this little bugger shortly
cheers
T
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:10:55 am by T100 »

Offline T100

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 07:12:33 am »
Hi Shane
I found this very interesting and perhaps could be of some help   :thinking:

Lost system restore points in Windows are a common complaint with people using disk defragmenters on machines running Vista and later Windows versions. What happens is the defrag operation moves files around causing the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to create snapshots that overwrite older ones and cause restore points to get deleted. If you have VSS enabled on your hard drive, or if you are not sure if you do, the first thing you should do after installing Auslogics Disk Defrag is go to Program Settings - Algorithms and set the program to defragment in VSS-compatible mode. This prevents excessive growth of the VSS storage area and ensures that your system restore points will remain intact.
Not all defraggers have this option, so be sure to never use the ones that don't if you have VSS enabled.

found here http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/how-to-defrag/
cheers
T
 :smiley:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 04:48:10 pm »
Hi Shane
I found this very interesting and perhaps could be of some help   :thinking:

Lost system restore points in Windows are a common complaint with people using disk defragmenters on machines running Vista and later Windows versions. What happens is the defrag operation moves files around causing the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to create snapshots that overwrite older ones and cause restore points to get deleted. If you have VSS enabled on your hard drive, or if you are not sure if you do, the first thing you should do after installing Auslogics Disk Defrag is go to Program Settings - Algorithms and set the program to defragment in VSS-compatible mode. This prevents excessive growth of the VSS storage area and ensures that your system restore points will remain intact.
Not all defraggers have this option, so be sure to never use the ones that don't if you have VSS enabled.

found here http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/how-to-defrag/
cheers
T
 :smiley:

Good find, but it looks like that option is only for that program. But it would explain some of the problems people have. I wonder if the fix for that is to just delete old volume snap shots?

Shane

Offline T100

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2014, 08:17:07 am »
Good find, but it looks like that option is only for that program. But it would explain some of the problems people have. I wonder if the fix for that is to just delete old volume snap shots?

Shane

Erm sorry Shane I really don't know if it's just a fix for "old volume snapshots"

but hey I just downloaded your updated v2.6.0 it's looking better with your every update
Please continue with your constant daily hard work making Tweaking work better and better
I think this program really is growing and going from strength to strength
it's a darn nuisance though....if only that darn System Restore problem could be sorted eh....
never mind though I'm sure you'll conquer this minor glitch and not give up with it
Cheers Shane
T

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2014, 10:06:00 am »

Erm sorry Shane I really don't know if it's just a fix for "old volume snapshots"

but hey I just downloaded your updated v2.6.0 it's looking better with your every update
Please continue with your constant daily hard work making Tweaking work better and better
I think this program really is growing and going from strength to strength
it's a darn nuisance though....if only that darn System Restore problem could be sorted eh....
never mind though I'm sure you'll conquer this minor glitch and not give up with it
Cheers Shane
T

Thanks :-) The volume snapshots have to do with VSS or the volume shadow copy. When system restore does or tries to do a backup it uses the VSS to do it. Well if the VSS has trouble it will fail. The VSS makes snaps shots of the files on the system so backup programs can copy them. Sometimes old snap shots  get in the way and make trouble. So there is a way in the cmd.exe to tell VSS to remove all old snap shots and sometimes that can help free up the problem.

Shane

Offline Washbush

• Beware of bread and circuses ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2014, 12:07:01 pm »
Doing regular maintenance today and saw the Beta so I ran it.  All I can report is that it seems to have run all the way to the end without any difficulties. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »
Doing regular maintenance today and saw the Beta so I ran it.  All I can report is that it seems to have run all the way to the end without any difficulties.

Thanks for the info :-D

Shane

Offline waitedouglas7942@bellsout

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2014, 12:59:17 pm »
SIR, I ACTUALLY HAVE NO IDEA IF BETA FIXED ANY PROBLEMS OR NOT. IT RAN ONLY A FEW MINUITES. I WILL RUN TWEAKING REPAIRS NOW. I HAVE MANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS THING. TWEAKING HAS KEPT IR WORKING. I MY MIND IT WOULD'VE QUIT MONTHS AGO WITHOUT YOUR PROGRAM. I HAVE MANY SUPPORT TICKETS RELATING TO BEING UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR NEW VERSION OF MALWAREBYTES. I'M STILL UNABLE TO DO SO. I'M OF THE MING TO TRY TO UNINSTALL ALL  VERSIONS OF MALWARE BYTES NOW & TRY TO START FRESH. HOPEFULLY THAT WILL DO IT. I (THRUGH YOUR SITE)PURCHASED A PROGRAM CALLED "REGSERVO" I SAY THIS BECAUSE OF THE PROGRAM I JUST LOKED AT ON CURRENT SITE. BURNED ONCE-MY FAULT-BURN TWICE??? PROGRAM SOUNDS GOOD-BUT I'M NO TECH PERSON WHATSOEVER!! I MESS UP MORE THAN I FIX! I'VE READ ENDLESS HELP ARTICLES FM. MSFT.-I CONSIDER THEM A JOKE! NUT LIKE I SAID I'M NO TECH PERSON. JUST AN OLD MAN WHO SPENT HIS LIFE IN THE FRUIT BUS.. ASK ME ANUTHING ABOUT FRUIT OR VEGTABLES & I'LL HAVE AN ANSWER. LIKE 57 DIFFERENT VARITIES OF CUMBERS. I DO NOT PRETEND TO BE A TECH GUY! I THINK IT SHOULD JUST WORK WHEN YOU TURN IT ON! APPARENTLY GATES STOLE "XP" (OTHERWISE WHY SPEND 6 YRS. IN COURT & PAY THE GUY 6 BILLION?) IT SEEMS TO ME THEYVE ONLY TRIED TO IMPROVE ON THAT O.S.. OTHER WISE NOTHING-EXCEPT ENDLESS O.S.'S WITH ENDLESS HELP ARTICLES-WHICH I FIND CONFUSING. SO AS YOU MAY HAVE GUESSED I'M LOKING FOR THE EACY OUT!! I APPERICICIATE ALL THE HELP YOUR PROGRAMS HAVE GIVEN ME!! I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH! I'M GLAD TO SEE BEST BUY IS SELLING YOUR PROGRAM!! I HOPE YU DO WELL WITH ALL!!! D.G.W.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2014, 01:15:55 pm »
Best Buy selling "Windows Repair" and not for free ? O.M.G. !!!! Give more details, please !!!!

Offline waitedouglas7942@bellsout

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2014, 05:12:10 pm »
I BOUGHT AN HP LAPTOP FROM THEM. THEY WERE SELLING Malwarebytes FOR $29.00. THE PAGE SAID NOTHING ABOUT "TWEAKING.COM." I AM ALWAYS GLAD TO SEE PEOPLE HAVE SOME SUCESS FOR THIER WORK. I'VE HAD MY TIME-I'M OLD NOW & THROUGH WORKING-WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE STOCK MKT.-WHICH IS WORK-BUT NOT LIKE I WORKED ALL MY LIFE. I PREFER WHAT I USED TO DO-WHICH WAS THE FRUIT & VEGTABLE BUS.. A LOT OF PHYSCIAL WORK-BUT KEPT YOU IN SHAPE! SITTING ON THIS COMPUTER ALL DAY HAS TURNED ME TO MUCH! OF COURSE OLD AGE PLAYED ITS PART! I THINK YOU'LL FIND MOST OLD PEOPLE LIKE TO SEE A GOOD SUCESS STORY! I HAVE A SON WHO LOOKS TO BE ABOUT YOUR AGE. HES DOING FINE-FINALLY GOT MARRIED AT 38 YRS OLD. SO FAR A GREAT GIRL-WHICH IS VERY IMPT! YOU LIKELY KNOW THAT AS YOUR PIC. INCLUDES YOUR WIFE. MY FATHER TOLD ME TO NEVER GET A DIVORCE FOR THE SIMPLE REASON THAT ITLL BREAK YOU!! I'VE DONE SO 3 X'S. WHATEVER HE TOLD ME-I'D DO JUST THE OPPOSITE! NOW THAT HES GONE & I'M OLD I HAVE MANY REGRETS! I GOT OFF THE SUBJECT. I BELIEVE BEING UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR NEW VERSION OF MALWARE BYTES IS THE FAULT OF MY COMPUTER. ITS GOT SO MANY PROBLEMS I CAN'T BEGIN TO TELL YOU. I'VE GOT A YOUNG MAN BUILDING ME A NEW DESKTOP. UPGRADED EVERYTHING. WATER COOLED.SOLID STATE-UPGRADED GRAPHICS CARD. ON & ON. I BELIEVE ITLL WORK FINE. PUTTING WIN. 7 H.P. ON IT. 2 TERRBYTE HD. SO PLENTY OF ROOM FOR MY SCREW UPS! I THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE! DOUGLAS G. WAITE 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2014, 09:50:07 am »
Please dont type in all caps, it means you are yelling and it is hard for me to read :cheesy:

HOPEFULLY THAT WILL DO IT. I (THRUGH YOUR SITE)PURCHASED A PROGRAM CALLED "REGSERVO"

Never heard of that program, I have a feeling you clicked on a advertisement that google put on the site, that isnt my program, currently all my programs are free.

I BOUGHT AN HP LAPTOP FROM THEM. THEY WERE SELLING Malwarebytes FOR $29.00. THE PAGE SAID NOTHING ABOUT "TWEAKING.COM."

Ok so they sold you malwarebytes, they didnt sell anything to you about my stuff correct? because if they did I will be throwing one hell of a fit at them lol

Shane

Offline mjwiech

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2014, 11:23:41 pm »
I have succeeded with Repair System Restore.

I extensively researched Internet resources, tips, forums etc. Nowhere I could find a working solution for my problem: Windows was unable to create a restore point because of "access denied".

Now, after having run Windows Repair, including Beta Repair System Restore - it works again. :cheesy:

Regards
MJ Wiechowski

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »
Good to hear it worked for you!

Shane

Offline Washbush

• Beware of bread and circuses ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2014, 01:02:48 pm »
Does Beta Repair System Restore have a "closing page" or some kind of indication that it reached the end?  I ran it again last night and I am not at all sure that I made it all the way to the end. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2014, 01:27:31 pm »
I have to double check, it should have the bouncing bar running while it runs and then stops when it is finished. I havent checked that code in a long time.

Shane

Offline Stiina

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »
I wasn't able to get a clean registry backup.  I kept getting messages about errors.  I have the log if you would like to review it.  I didn't want to post the log publicly.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2014, 01:43:40 pm »
The log shouldnt have anything personal in it so it is safe to post :-)

Shane

Offline albabes

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2014, 03:11:13 pm »
Be nice if app or Forum explained how to post results?   :sarcastic:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2014, 03:16:36 pm »
Be nice if app or Forum explained how to post results?   :sarcastic:

Um, copy and paste the repair log or any other text you might want to share, attach the repair log file, or just let me know if it helped getting the system restore working again. :wink:

Not really much to post since the logs only tell me if the repairs ran. It is if the system restore started working after or not is what I need to know, and of course your system specs.

Shane

Offline albabes

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2014, 03:42:01 pm »
I didnt have a prob with Sys Restore. Just ran test cause you asked for help.
It ran fine.