Author Topic: Several questions regarding Registry backup  (Read 8480 times)

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
Several questions regarding Registry backup
« on: June 25, 2023, 12:26:44 pm »
I just upgraded Tweaking.com Registry Backup to v4.0.0 on my Win10 desktop, previously I had v1.x installed. Getting the latest installed was surprisingly a difficult task for me. When I checked the website for the latest version I noticed that v4.0.0 was available. It seems that there is no automatic check to inform me that there is a newer version (sorry dumb user here). I downloaded the latest and attempted to install but it failed because
The following file is in use and can not be updated:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Registry
Backup\files\Backup_Failed_Message.exe
Close all other applications and choose Retry. Choose Cancel to install this file on reboot.
In Process Explorer I attempted to find the app but was not successful so I rebooted. I was then able to upgrade to v4.

BTW - I just attempted to insert an image (it would be super if I could just paste the image from my clipboard to the forum). When I click on the "Insert Image" icon I see some HTML code appear in the window but don't know what to do next. I attempted to find help on inserting images but was not successful.

I then attempted to run the registry backup. It had problems with the Volume Shadow and used the fallback method. Using the fallback it did run but reported "Errors! 27/30 Registry Files Backed up".

Looking at the backup window I see three selections highlighted. It seems obvious (to me) that these are items that were not backup. OK, now I know what was not backed up but I don't know what the heck to do about it.

Looking at the log I see "Volume Shadow Copy Failed! vss_7_8_2008_2012_64.exe isn't running. Check the Log_VSS.txt file to view any errors." However I cannot find the Log_VSS.txt file when I click on "View Logs". So I used the search application "Everything" to find "Log_VSS.txt" and find it in one of the earlier backups. Following is the contents of that file

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[06/25/2023 - 13:17:49]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VSHADOW.EXE 3.0 - Volume Shadow Copy sample client.
Copyright (C) 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

(Option: No-writers option detected)
(Option: Generate SETVAR script 'C:\Windows\temp\vss-setvar52.bat')
(Option: Execute binary/script after shadow creation 'C:\Windows\temp\vss52.bat')
(Option: Create shadow copy set)
- Setting the VSS context to: 0x00000010

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->StartSnapshotSet(&m_latestSnapshotSetID)" failed.
- Returned HRESULT = 0x80042316
- Error text: VSS_E_SNAPSHOT_SET_IN_PROGRESS
- Please re-run VSHADOW.EXE with the /tracing option to get more details

C:\>
---------------------------------

I see the line "Please re-run VSHADOW.EXE with the /tracing option to get more details", I opened a CMD window as "admin" and pasted VSHADOW.EXE /tracing" into the window and pressed the enter key. It reports:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.3086] (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>
C:\WINDOWS\system32>VSHADOW.EXE /tracing
'VSHADOW.EXE' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file.
:\WINDOWS\system32>

Using Everything I searched for "VSHADOW.EXE" and could not find any entries.

I searched the internet for volume shadow and see that it is part of wiindows, this leaves me totally confused.

Back to the Registry window:
It would be nice if I could resize the window and see everything without scrolling. Just a nit and not super important, just more friendly.

When I click on the View Logs button I go to "C:\RegBackup\S4\06.25.2023_14.13.25" (S4 is the name of my PC, e.g. System 4). This seems to be totally different than I see in the video. To me, this is confusing. By default the app stores my backups and logs at "C:\RegBackup\S4\"

When I click on the Restore Registry tab the window is empty.
When I use my explorer app I see that I have 25 backups. I was expecting to see 30 backups. In the app settings the "Keep" was set to 30 (I just changed it to 60) and the "Delete Old" setting was 60 and I set it 120. The real question here is "Why does not the app see my backups"? Is this a dumb user error? Have I done something wrong?

Sorry to be so dense but I'm easily confused. I'm open for suggestions.
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Several questions regarding Registry backup
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 04:07:46 pm »
This forum is no longer supported.

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
Re: Several questions regarding Registry backup
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 11:57:50 am »
Bummer, how do I get support?