Author Topic: Thank you for Windows Repair and Drive Speedometer!!!  (Read 11263 times)

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
Thank you for Windows Repair and Drive Speedometer!!!
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:28 pm »
Shane, I want to tell you that the latest version of Windows Repair portable has seemingly solved a perplexing problem with Windows System Restore.  (Win 7 HP x64 SP1)  After much research, I was left with no definitive answer from M$.  I was instructed that a Repair Install would likely solve the problem: 90 - 100% HDD access to/from System Volume Information file, constantly!

I downloaded and ran the portable version of Windows Repair (v 1.9.0.4) and re-started System Restore and created a restore point.  Lo and behold, the System PID 4 is behaving itself.  Woo-Hoo. 

I trust that I'm not jinxing myself by bragging to you.  Wonderful program...OH! and let me thank you for the Drive Speedometer.  I keep in on screen and it is so reassuring to know what's going on in HDD land.

Have a good weekend and a wonderful new year.  It can't get too much worse. [/sarcasm off]

J D Richardson

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you for Windows Repair and Drive Speedometer!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:03:56 pm »
Did you run my beta system restore repair?

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:16:40 am »
No I haven't, as yet.  I can't find it on Tweaking's Program list or on PcWinTech's lists. 

Oh, by the way, about 1/2 an hour after I sent the original message "bragging" about my success, the HDD began banging away, again, with almost constant access to the System Volume Information file(s).  Sometimes is "background" and sometimes it's "normal". 

Is there a special section for Beta testing which I haven't found?

Thanks again!!

J D Richardson

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:11 am »
@Bubba Euler:

in WR v1.9.4, in the main repair screen there's a button called "Beta Repairs". Under that button the Beta version of "Repair System Restore" is "hiding".

Did you use "Create System Restore Point" only (see your first post) or did you tick one or more boxes as well ? And which box(es) did you tick ? Can you give more details ?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:31:18 am by Willy2 »

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:59:28 am »
Well, I found and ran the Beta System Restore repair on the 1.9.4. version of Windows Repair.  It did no harm!  Ha!!!

I then turned System Restore back on and created a Restore Point, which it told me was performed properly.  I then started resmon.exe and watched System  PID 4 and again the same symptoms:

15 seconds of bursts of R/W showing ~10 to 13 MB/s, each.
These bursts cause between 96 and 100 % of Disc Usage (time)
After that, there is a wait time of between 35 to 45 seconds.  HDD R/W Speed shows less than 1 MB/s, and Disc Usage (time) is less than 10 % peaks.

It did not used to be this way.  I sure don't want to do a Windows Repair Install.  I wish I could afford the ReImage tool I found.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:56:08 pm »
Something is triggering the system restore. But I dont know what.

How does safe mode work for it?

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:42:38 pm »
Safe Mode works the same, too.  It'll create a Restore Point, then start to accessing the HDD on a constant basis.  The Beta Repair did change the access timing a little.  Prior to the Beta run, SR would be constantly at 90-100% HDD time with multi System Volume Information files being accessed at either Normal or Background Mode(s).   See Reply #4 for how it's responding now.  It still has multi Sys Vol Info files, though.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:46:13 pm by Bubba Euler »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:45:02 pm »
I am at a loss to why it is accessing it. Restore works yet doesn't stop.

Does it happen if you turn restore off, delete all the restore points and then turn it back on? This way does it do it when there are no restore points.

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:48:11 pm »
If System Restore is turned off and all SR Points are deleted, then restarted without creating a Restore Point, the HDD is happy.  But no back up is occurring, either; Well, seemingly not!?1

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:52:48 pm by Bubba Euler »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:51:45 pm »
But once the restore points are deleted turn restore back on, just don't create any new restore points and see how it does. :wink:

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 04:55:04 pm »
I do know that when I have recently installed a Driver or two, the installer will ask if I want a Restore Point, which is cogent, I trust.  It then begins the incessant HDD R/W cycle again. 

I downloaded Reimage and ran the scan.  It showed that SR and System files plus a few others needed to be replaced/repaired.  At $70.00, I declined but maybe I can get it done down the road some....?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:00:20 pm by Bubba Euler »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 06:29:39 am »
@Bubba Euler:

Does ReImage come up with a list of files that are damaged and need to be replaced/repaired ? If so, then post that llist here in this thread ? I know it could help Shane to improve the "System Restore" repair job in WR. And I am curious as well.

Perhaps a friend in your neighbourhood/someone online/someone on this forum has the same Windows OS and is able to provide those files for free instead of paying $ 70 for ReImage.

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 06:59:50 am »
Good Morning, Willie2!  Well, I think I've found the REAL problem.  S.M.A.R.T. has informed me that I have limited life left in my HHD due to too many Reapportioned Sectors.  I have located a new, in the box, identical drive at a local store.  My old HDD has had no errors over the years, yet this has suddenly occurred.  Ha!

I hope that I will be able to Clone the old HDD onto the new HDD before it crashes.

Golly, I hope that THIS will take care of my System Restore problem.  I don't want to re-scan using Reimage for fear that it might cause a crash.

Thanks for your offer of assistance and I'll see you all on the other side...hopefully!?!

Bubba Euler