Author Topic: HELP! Windows 7 says "is not legitimate" for past 9 months!  (Read 8246 times)

Offline ercarrera

• View Profile
HELP! Windows 7 says "is not legitimate" for past 9 months!
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:30 am »
Dear Shane,

First let me congratulate you on the complex magnificent program you and your co-horts constructed.  It is amazing.  Even Microsoft uses it (tech support in India).  However, this past debacle has not been fixed by it.

I have an i7-930 machine with 3 1TB drives but I boot out of a 128GB SDD Card, the system is Windows 7 pro x64 with 16Gb memory.  The story in brief is this: for the past 9 months (every 2 months or so) I get welcomed with a black screen and the message that reads: "This copy of Windows is not legitimate" and no matter what i or Microsoft does it does not get resolved.  In the past your program fixed the issue and it seems that it ocurrs after a windows security update.

No kidding, I have spent literally over 90 hrs. worth of testing, troubleshooting repairing using every scheme I can think of.  The last time your program after usinc sfc /scannow and running the entire routing fixed it!  AFTER Microsft spend 3 days trying to fix my windows (on 4 different occasions).  By the way YES I am legitimate, I even tried Microsoft Toolkit and other validation (not legit) tools to get windows to be registered and validated but no dice this time.

Now is worse than ever, black screen (as you know when this happens your Microsoft Office, Security Essentials and Wireless DO NOT WORK) and explorer takes FOREVER, just to open a folder.  Microsoft Restore (Microsofft manage to wiped out) has no restore points to be able to go back to and Windows Repair installation (with Win7 CD) says it cannot read from drives which I can!

Windows continue to say Windows 7 is expired! and is runnign like a 8080 processor trying to run windows if you know what I mean.  Shaun, I can't afford to do a clean install, I have too many programs and configuration of files that I use for work please if you can suggest something else I would be much oblaged.  Here is my log:

Sincerely,

ERCarrera
email: [email protected]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:31:49 am by Shane »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Windows 7 says "is not legitimate" for past 9 months!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:38:55 am »
I removed your log from the post, it was long and wont show anything useful for this :-)

The repair program doesn't do anything that I am aware of that messes with the registration and activation in Windows. And give the amount of very odd errors your getting I think we need to dig deeper. We need to find the cause of these errors and that in turn will most likely fix everything.

While the repair tool may have helped before it was only fixing damage done by what ever the cause is. So lets start and see if we can find the problem to :wink:

First two things I want to do is test the memory and test the drive for any bad sectors.

1. Memory tester
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/Microsoft-Windows-Memory-Diagnostic.shtml

You will be able to make a bootable ISO from this. Boot off the cd and let the memory test run for 15 to 30 min. If no errors after that time then your memory is fine.

2. After the memory test we need to test the drive for any bad sectors. If any data is on a bad sector it can create havoc.
So in Windows open a cmd.exe window and put this in
chkdsk c: /f /r

It will say it cant get access to the drive and would you like to schedule it at next boot, say yes. Then reboot, you should see do a chkdsk and it will take longer than normal as it will be checking for bad sectors. Given the size of the C: drive it could take a while.

Once those are done and we confirmed they are good we will move on to the next steps :-)

Shane

Offline ercarrera

• View Profile
HELP! Windows 7 says "is not legitimate" for past 9 months!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:52 am »
Dear Shane,

Thank you for your time, I don't know how to REPLY to your message posted maybe this way I can answer your suggestion.  The MAIN drive is an SSD 128GB drive, I have checked it and by the way I have 3 1TB drives with the Operating system on them and they log onto windows FINE!

I have checked the drives and are OK with your program chkdsk and sfc /scannow which it did find corrupted files but still is running like melases!  My memory is also OK no problems there since I can boot from any of my other 3 drives and everything checks out ok.  This is been going on for 9 months and no kidding I have spoken with half of India trying to solve this and NO ONE seems to even check the logs to find out WHAT is causing the issue.  All I know is that it must be a file access or security issue that is causing this.  Let me know how to comunicate the best!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:01 pm »
OK so you have other OS's installed, they all run just fine. Good that means this isnt a hardware problem.

You just have the one OS that is freaking out and causing a lot of strange bugs.

Have you ran these 3 tools on it yet?

tdsskiller.exe
Malwarebytes anti rootkit
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

And combofix.exe

Also when you ran my Windows repair did you run all the repairs?

Shane

Offline ercarrera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:58 pm »
Dear Shane,

Yes, I did run your magnificient software but like I stated this time it did not fix the issue, and yes I did run Malwarebytes, TDDSkiller and Combofix but to tell you the truth I don't know what the last 2 say!  I wish I could speak with you so maybe you can send me an email where I can send you my cell so we can chat.

Sincerely appreciative
ERCarrera

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »
Sorry I help through the forums :-) This way others who have the same problem can find the answers. Otherwise I would be answer the same questions over and over if I did email.

A repair install is a must for you at this point. Can you post a screen shot of the error you get when you try this guide?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Shane