Author Topic: Registry Backup freezes  (Read 8076 times)

Offline Bud Callaghan

• Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
    • View Profile
Registry Backup freezes
« on: January 11, 2013, 03:23:38 pm »
I have Registry Backup installed on several of my computers and use it frequently.  Most uses are successful at backing up the registry.  However, there are times when the program freezes when the backup button is activated.  Instead of making the backup, it freezes and cannot be turned off until the computer is rebooted.  On one of the computers that runs Windows 7 it freezes every time a backupup is attempted.  I have changed the settings every which way with the same result.  On those occasions when the backup freezes on any of the other computers, I cannot find a reason for this occurrance.  It is random and is usually a once in awhile occurrance that does not reappear after a reboot.  Any idea why this happens, particularly on the computer where that is all it does?  I have it installed on computers that run Windows XP, Vista, 7 & 8.  Two os them have Windows 7 installed and Registry backup seldom freezes on one of them and always freezes on the other.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Backup freezes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:28:03 pm »
On the one that it freezes on go to the settings tab and go to the advanced settings. There put a check on always use fallback method and let me know how it does then. :wink:

Normal backup uses the volume shadow copy service while the fall back uses the Windows API.

Also what version are you using?

Shane

Offline Bud Callaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »
On the one that it freezes on go to the settings tab and go to the advanced settings. There put a check on always use fallback method and let me know how it does then. :wink:

Normal backup uses the volume shadow copy service while the fall back uses the Windows API.

Also what version are you using?

Shane
Shane,
It will work using the fallback method but so does ERUNT.  I've been using ERUNT for as long as it's been available and still use it.  However, upon discovering your offering and its use of volume shadow copy I decided to utilize both programs as added insurance.  Using the fallback method as well as ERUNT if redundant while using the volume shadow copy method as well as ERUNT offers a variation of that redundancy.  This problem of randomly working or not working has prevailed on the three versions of your program that I have used, 1.4.3, 1.5.0 and 1.5.1.  Not working at all using the volume shadow copy method on the computer in question has also used these three versions with the same result.  Your assistance is appreciated, as are all of your applications.
Bud
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:42:59 pm by Bud Callaghan »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 06:01:38 pm »
OK so we know the problem is with the volume shadow copy.

Here is how the program works, It loads up an exe in the files folder that creates a vss snapshot of the files. Once the snap shot is ready the program then copies the files from the snap shot to the backup folder.

So it looks like something is wrong with the snap shot that is created, In the program under the backup button does it freeze when both text say yes? (Also does a vss log file ever get created in the backup folder?)

If so then the program is having trouble reading the files from the snapshot.

I have some repair options here to try and get VSS working better :-)
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help,2.html

I am off to spend time with the wife and kids so I will reply in the morning is you post by then :cheesy:

Shane

Offline Bud Callaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:54:28 pm »
OK so we know the problem is with the volume shadow copy.

Here is how the program works, It loads up an exe in the files folder that creates a vss snapshot of the files. Once the snap shot is ready the program then copies the files from the snap shot to the backup folder.

So it looks like something is wrong with the snap shot that is created, In the program under the backup button does it freeze when both text say yes? (Also does a vss log file ever get created in the backup folder?)

If so then the program is having trouble reading the files from the snapshot.

I have some repair options here to try and get VSS working better :-)
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help,2.html

I am off to spend time with the wife and kids so I will reply in the morning is you post by then :cheesy:

Shane

Your Registry Backup program is now working as you intended when you created it.  I went to "Services" and found the "Volume Shadow Copy" to be stopped and set to "manual".  I started it and set it to "Automatic" and that apparently fixed the problem.  Thank you for your assistance, I would not have known where to look for the problem had the source of the trouble not been revealed in your previous posts.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:38:57 pm »
No problem at all :-)

Shane