Author Topic: Advanced System Repair 1.1.3-Registry optimizer doesn't work  (Read 5781 times)

Offline rrayzer

• View Profile
Advanced System Repair 1.1.3-Registry optimizer doesn't work
« on: January 21, 2013, 05:49:18 am »
Just wondering if there was some kind of fix for the registry optimizer in version 1.1.3. Have tried running it on 4 different pc's and it just kind of blips and then dissapears.  They had different OS as well (XP SP3, Vista and Win 7).  Went back to 1.1.2 and the optimizer works great, however I like to keep up to date since both versions (all-in-one and advanced) have saved my butt many times as well as helping me keep my sanity with all the tweaks and fixes.  THANX SHANE YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced System Repair 1.1.3-Registry optimizer doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:07:31 pm »
You mean Advance System Tweaker? (You said repair lol)

Crap I totally forgot about that. That uses erunt to do that trick. In v.1.1.3 I replaced erunt with my backup tool.

My reg backup does the same stuff that erunt does, I wonder if I should just make a tool as erunt did to optimize the registry.

How it worked was it basically writes the reg to a new file, skipping all the bloat. The registry is a database and like all databases becomes bloated.

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:20:44 am »
Registry optimizer would be nice. Something to use every once in a while to compact registry, especially after some spring cleaning of programs not used anymore.

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:45:00 pm »
All it does is make a backup of the registry using the API call and then sets it to restore to the new files.

I may make the tool down the road as it would be another free tool for the site :-)

Here is how you can do it now with the registry backup program of mine.

1. In tweaking.com - Registry Backup go to settings and then to advanced settings. Put a check on always use the fall back backup method.
2. Do a backup of the registry (Using the fallback method, which uses the API instead of the volume shadow copy)
3. Now restore the backup you just did
4. Reboot

Shane