Author Topic: Success after Tweak Explorer works but the windows installer appears not to  (Read 5277 times)

Offline RobsWinXP

• View Profile
Had the gedz virus. Removed it with utilities. This left my IE explorer inoperative. However thanks to tweaking.com its working fine. My problem is almost solved. When I try to click on a program to start, for example, excell, I get an error : Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running WIndows in safe mode, or if the Windows Install is not correctly installed.

I'm not sure what the fix is for this, or if this helps with your product. I am completely impressed and i will go donate now of course, you handled a big situation for me.

I am running Windows XP PRO SP 3. Its been running flawless on my laptop for over 4 years. This is the first major issue I have had so you can imagine I am shocked.

SO if there is any other advice on how to handle this windows installer issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Actions I took:
Used Spyware Doctor to remove the worm. I think it did it.
I used WINZIP Registry Cleaner / Repair to handle Registry issues. I was shocked that 18000 errors were found, but given the circumstances it made sense.

I uninstalled IE 8 and INstalled IE7 - the browser still kept freezing.
I downloaded and installed windows installer from Microsoft - obviously did not work. Maybe need to try re-install after the repair your program did?

An interesting symptom noted:
When I click Start and clicked directly on a program to start it, it would not do anything. However, if I clicked start and then RIGHT CLICKED on the program I wanted to start and then clicked OPEN - the program would open - except WORD and EXCELL give the Windows Installer Error.  However Publisher would start without the error.

Through all this my Firefox worked fine and accessed the net so I could function. I ran windows system file check - SFC /scannow - and it did not ask for the disk.

NOW - IE 7 is working, but still have the remaining issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Again. thank you for an excellent job so far. You saved hours of techy hunt and peck!

Robert

Offline RobsWinXP

• View Profile
SUCCESS: I found this fix for the Windows Installer error I mentioned:

To resolve the problem:

Click on Start
    Select Run
    In the "Open:" field, type cmd
    Click OK

An MS-DOS Prompt window will come up on the screen with a blinking cursor at the command line. In this window you will need to do the following:

Type msiexec /unregister and press Enter
    Type msiexec /regserver and press Enter

After you have run the second command, it will return you to a new line ending with > and a blinking cursor. When you see this, you may safely close the command prompt, and try installing the software again.

It worked like a champ. Everything seems to be working fine now!

I will continue to explore.

Thank you tweaking.com! Your on the right track!

Robert

Offline RobsWinXP

• View Profile
Silly me. Follow up. My IE is still not working. When Firefox started I made it my default browser. When I clicked start I want to where the IE browser was, clicked it and it all fired up. I thought it was IE but it was not. I got so excited I was besides myself.

There is a little progress. IE opens but won't go to any internet location. Its just stuck. I can expand and minimize the browser, but it won't go anywhere. I tried to close it and its stuck. Before I would get the Not Responding. But its just staying there doing nothing.

I guess I will need to try the install again after all the repairs.

Ideas?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Make sure to do a chkdsk on the drive first, then do a SFC /checknow

Once both are those are done and rebooted then run all the repair sin my repair program. Make sure to do a reg backup with the program first and let me know how it goes :wink:

I have been sick all day, sorry it took so long for me to respond  :cheesy:

Shane