Author Topic: chkdsk scheduled  (Read 8784 times)

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
chkdsk scheduled
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:44:00 pm »
First I need to say the all-in-one program is great. Saved me alot of time doing repairs one by one, I love it. Now, chkdsk didn't run on reboot. I use "Diskeeper" from Condusiv to keep my drives sorted  and packed. My system drive is an SSD. Diskeeper can't do an analysys on my SSD because chdsk is scheduled to run on boot, but it dosen't. How can I un-cue chdsk? I haven't a clue.

While I have ya here, I'm battling something called "pup datamngr. Malewarebytes keeps removing it but it keeps replicating itself. I've been round and round with programs that are "guarenteed" to fix this but they don't. It slows boot times to to a painful crawl. Any ideas are welcome.
Tnx,
Dusty

Offline chris635

• View Profile
Re: chkdsk scheduled
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:18:48 am »
First you want to create a system restore, then if you have it, use Shane's registry back up program to back up your registry.

Note: The registry is the backbone for windows to operate correctly. If the wrong key is changed or deleted, it could render your system useless. So take your time and check and then double check you are on the right key's in the registry.

Secondly make sure the option for chkdsk is unscheduled in diskeeper. Then if your on windows 7 (it should be the same for vista) go to.....

1. Click on start button.
2. In search field type "run" and click on it.
3. In run typ "regedit" click ok .
4. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" which means
      Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
       Click SYSTEM
        Click CurrentControlSet
         Click Control
          Click Session Manager
5. In the right hand pane double click on " BootExecute".
6. The default value for the key should be "autocheck autochk *" if not, make it so.

I have attached a copy of what it should look like.

I use to use diskeeper myself and had the same problem before. I have also stopped using diskeeper because it stopped working correctly for calling the trim command on ssd drives (at least on mine it did). If you are on windows 7, it will call the trim command without a third party defragmenter any way, if you have the correct drivers loaded in the bios (google ide versus ahci for ssd drives, it will tell you all about it), I only used it to defragment my hdd's (I have 4). I have learned its just unnecessary as windows own disk defragmenter in windows 7 works pretty well.

Good luck and take care

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:06:37 am »
Thanks for answering chris635, it was the same thing I would have him try as well :wink:

Shane

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:53:42 pm »
[
>Good luck and take care

Thanks, I found the key I was looking for but before I edited anything I wanted to breeze this past you. This is what my value looks like now

autocheck autochk /k:c *
autocheck 燙ᵧ绰ጯ 耀

Ok, am I being hacked by China or what? I underastand what I need to do but this was just too weird not to share.
Tnx,
Dusty

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:56:47 pm »
Woooaaa! Yes you definetly want to fix that. Also go to this link and download the anti root kit and run it. (As always create a restore point first)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/other_tools/

This way we can make an attempt to see if you may have a root kit. :cheesy:

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:42:09 pm »
Thanks for that last bit of information. I've been battling that "pup datamngr" for weeks. That took care of it. Thanks, thanks and thanks. System is back and booting quickly again.

Now I'll tackle that autochkdsk thing. I'll let ya know how that turns out. After that I have one more issue then everything is back to "normal". I have a feeling that getting rid of those infections might fix that as well. I'll let ya know.
Did I say THANKS?
Dusty

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:20 pm »
No problem. Glad I help. If you use any of Shane's programs here from tweaking.com, spread the word and if not, can you spread the word anyway LOL :tongue: Also take a gander over at Shane's other site
http://www.pcwintech.com/ . He has some nifty little programs over there as well.

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris