Author Topic: WD drive is fine and dandy but System Restore is...?!?  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
WD drive is fine and dandy but System Restore is...?!?
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:12:13 pm »
I have attached 4 (four) files to this missive.  If they do not get to you, let me know. 

SCNDSK and SFC /f show NO damage to Windows files.  System Restore is going crasy with disc access.  I have performed multiple SKNDSK, as well as sfc /f.  Abolutely no errors ('cept the stuff I deleted, as seen in the attached files). 

There is something WRONG w/i Windows 7 HP X64 that is causing System Restore to be a disk HOG!

According to the multiple blogs I've read, many, many people are experiencing the same thing.  Your System Restore repair did not work for me and I'm sure that M$ is not telling all it knows.

I hope and trust that these files will lead us/you into the correction zone.  (end zone - it is SuperBowl weekend)  HA!

I hope that this will lead to a better understanding of the Windows System Restore and its hidden "assets".

Thank you, Shane, and look forward to working with you on this little skirmish w/i M$ and Windows 7 x64.

Sincerely,

Bubba Euler
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:41:13 pm by Bubba Euler »

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
Re: WD drive is fine and dandy but System Restore is...?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:17:37 pm »
CBS.log attachment

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:25:45 pm »
ResMon #1

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:28:25 pm »
SFC text of only Windows Repair of files

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:14:26 pm »
Make sure to post in the right section :-) I moved the thread for you.

Looking at the logs Windows did find a bunch of files it was unable to repair. And the cbs log shows a lot of errors as well.

Have you ran a chkdsk /r /f on the drive yet to check for bad sectors?

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 07:14:30 am »
Wow!  CHKDSK /r /f did the trick!!!! 
I have attached a screenshot of resmon after having started System Restore and having run the CHKDSK /r /f.  Look at that disc access!  I believe that my computer is back-to-normal!!! (well, as normal as a M$ computer can be - Ha!)

:cheesy:

I did so much research and NEVER saw this command in any blog or company help site.  I am so very grateful to you for this assistance and invaluable knowledge! 

I do appologize for having placed my postings in the incorrect section of your site.  I'll be more cognizant the next time, whether it is good news or bad news. 

It is so sweet watching the Disk Annunciator, as I write this, and seeing more "dark" than "light". 

I will contribute when my Social Security is deposited, hopefully Monday.  I've never used PayPal and will have another lesson in on-line banking...Ha!

Again, THANK YOU, SHANE for all you do for us.  I am smiling, right now, because of you and your care and concern and TIME you spend for us!

With great respect and graditude,

Bubba Euler
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:17:55 am by Bubba Euler »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 05:25:20 pm »
If a drive ever has any bad sectors it needs to be replaced. So if the chkdsk found any bad sectors you need to get your self a new drive :wink:

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:44:34 am »
Howdy, Shane!  Always good to hear from you!!  I might have information you have not seen (unlikely, but worth proffering).

{Oh, and System Restore is back to its old tricks: 90-100% of disc access after setting a System Restore point}  oh, well......

Yes, S.M.A.R.T.  has indicated that my WD2500BEVT is near the end-of-its-life.  Being the geek want-to-be that I am, I ventured to Western Digital's site and researched the archives for Reapportioned Sectors, et al. 

Lo and behold, (KJV c.1690) I found that S.M.A.R.T., according to WD, is not ubiquitous for their drives;  i.e., They (WD) provide a testing software specifically for WD drives: Data LifeGuard Diagnostic for Windows which took 1-1/4 hours to complete, but told me that my HDD PASSED their rigorous tests

I have full backup and M$ Windows 7 HP disk, just in case.  I'm hoping to learn from this experience and pass along any information I find along the way for others who may also have the same/similar circustances.

BTW:  What IS with M$'s System restore?  It is a disk hog and is not acting like it did when initially installed.  Has M$ responded or is there a blog or tech site which is covering this anomoly?

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!!

Bubba (Jack) Euler

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »
Keep a backup of your stuff just in case. All I use is WD drives and never had a problem with smart reporting something wrong. :wink:

Shane