Author Topic: Running chkdsk from windows cmd prompt causes windows hang after chkdsk reboot  (Read 8144 times)

Offline mchain

• View Profile
System is Fujtisu Siemens D1477 Mini-Tower dating back to 1/27/2003 (date of volume creation).
Board info:  Fujitsu Siemens D1477 S26361-D1477 XP Pro SP3, P4 non-hyper 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, Maxtor 6L160P0 160 GB IDE master on secondary IDE channel.  System will not boot w/master IDE on primary, only secondary IDE.  Running Nvidia Geforce 6200 A pci card with latest video driver, version 307.74 Win XP english whql 32-bit. 

System came in with a dead PSU.  System would not POST, so replaced dead PSU (330 watt) with Corsair TX 650 (650 watt) model.  As originally configured, had an 80 GB IBM drive partitioned to C: primary, D: and E: as recovery partitions in extended partition.  As the original IBM drive had 56 bad sectors and counting... cloned this drive to the remanufactured Maxtor 160 GB drive (current hours used:  9.0 hours) and removed the extended partition as the recovery section was corrupted and expanded the primary to encompass the entire drive.

IBM drive has not been touched other than to clone to the Maxtor drive and is not in use.  No a/v was installed, there was a severe problem with the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP1 installations in that they could not be uninstalled on the clone drive; an error message would pop stating that neither could be uninstalled as doing so would affect other programs.

After the clone was done, avast! AIS 2012 was installed, and proceeded to get the Windows Updates.  Problem was, the only updates offered were for 2.0 and 3.0, and attempting to install these three updates resulted in failure.  Restart would bring up the same updates and the only option was to allow and have the system shut down.  This went around and around until I found an uninstall utility from a Microsoft engineer and was able to remove .Net completely.

I proceeded to get 85 WU updates, (apparently this .NET problem had been around for awhile) and since the system had been dead since last November, I expected a few, but certainly not this number.

The problem is, that if I invoke chkdsk C: /f and allow AUTORUN.exe to lock the drive on restart, chkdsk will run, and then restart, and then the system will take about 10-15 minutes to get to the desktop and then not have full access to all programs.  Normal start-up time before invoking is always 2:00 minutes with all start-up programs, including AIS as active, loading from cold boot to desktop; user does not have a password-enabled admin account. 

Error boxes will display if I allow the process to run after running chkdsk and then reboot:
  • RUNDLL:  An exception occured while trying to run "NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit -login"
  • Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library:  Debug Assertion Failed!  Program:  C: \Program Files Dynex G Desktop Card Adapter\DynexWCUI.exe
    File:  dbgheap.c
    Line:  1132

Expression:  _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application)

Well, as the Dynex pci card was uninstalled and setup program was uninstalled, do not get this error anymore with the above condition.  Removing the  NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit -login start-up also removes that error.

Have set the boot process to a clean boot state, no third party programs running at start up, all non-Microsoft services disabled, and still have the corrupted boot process only when chkdsk /f is invoked.  No third-party programs are running at this time.

Have run tweaking.com repair several times so far, no fix yet for this chkdsk issue. 

If chkdsk is not invoked, system boots normally.  If chkdsk is invoked, and corrupted boot then occurs, F8>Last Known Good will always put it right.  sfc/scannow has been run several times so far; reboot does not cause problems.

BTW, using a disk imaging program to back up before major changes are made, problem with chkdsk seems to have started with the removal of .NET 2.0 and 3.0.  As a matter of conscientious work, always check to see if essential recovery tools work properly.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
It could also be something wrong with the file system. And since chkdsk is running off that file system that could explain the problem. chkdsk doesnt use .net so that shouldnt be an issue.

One trick I do is I load up a Windows 7 repair disk and do a chkdsk ont he drive from there. The Win 7 works fine with XP because all we are doing is a chkdsk. So the next thing to try is to do a chkdsk on the drive from outside Windows. :wink:

I was getting ready to link you to the .net removal tool, which I use, and is the only thing I have ever found that can fix .net by completely removing it, make sure to keep that tool as part of your toolbox :-)

Shane

Offline mchain

• View Profile
@ Shane,

Thank you for your reply.  There is a workaround available; that of using XP Recovery Console.  There, I have access to chkdsk c: /p or /r.

Running that will not affect the boot operation after running chkdsk.

Attached find (may require more than one post to complete) error messages from sick system.  Note the 160 GB drive is remanufactured and under warranty and has only 9 + hours on it; Disk Checkup has run and is showing anomalies with it already.  Could this be the actual root source of the problems?

[EDIT:]

Have run a clean boot with only MS services and startups running; chkdsk issue still there.  Thanks for the Win 7 tip; have 64-bit version but will download and get 32-bit version.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:37:16 am by mchain »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Task manager isnt showing information properly, erros from programs, chkdsk hanging up when ran from Windows but ok from recovery console.

While even new drives can be bad it is a safe test to check it for bad sectors. If none are found I think the problem is Windows and not the drive. You can confirm this by making a clone image of the drive, then once you have that wipe it clean, do a format and install Windows fresh. See how it wants to behave then.

While it is a good idea to test memory as well, normally with bad memory we would get blue screens and lockups. But on a few systems I had a lot of odd errors I couldn't pinpoint, system never crashed, turned out to be a bad memory stick. The systems had 2 sticks and on those ones it was always the 2nd stick because Windows was loaded up and using the memory in the first slot. Once that memory was full the 2nd stick was used, at which point anything that loaded up crashed. But again Windows didn't because it was loaded up in the good memory.

So a memory test wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

Personally if it was me I would do a 30 min memory test first
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/Microsoft-Windows-Memory-Diagnostic.shtml

Then if it comes back good I would do a chkdsk C: /r to check for bad sectors.

If both turn up fine then it would be time to do a reinstall, for a system with this many problems if it isnt hardware related.

Shane