Author Topic: How can I run this on problem Win 7 drive in slave position?  (Read 7053 times)

Offline crazy4years

• View Profile
How can I run this on problem Win 7 drive in slave position?
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:20:03 pm »
Brought home parents Win 7 x 64 bit hard drive and plugged it in as slave on my Win 7 64 bit. I could get into histories and find problems, removed malware, no problem, but no disk with straight Win 7 to recover start up drivers. I have tried many times to download the iso, but my internet will not handle it. The recovery discs we have are loaded with the wrong machine drivers so won't open for their machine. I can enter the drive as slave with no problem, but when change boot order to start from it, I get to the sign in and it freezes on aero screen asking if I want to repair or start normally. Start normally option does nothing, repair only loops back to restart to log in and and freezes again at next screen.  Appears to have run into problem when downloading a MSE update on March 21 and cycling over and over trying to extract to cab file not found, but had other unrelated issues which made me search for malware.

Question is, since the windows won't start to run this software from F where problem drive is, can I in any way switch it to run on F: drive while operating from my working C: drive?  Any suggestions on reinstalling the Win start up files to a locked up drive would be greatly appreciated. Flash drive not opening when running on F:. Thanks!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: How can I run this on problem Win 7 drive in slave position?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:54:06 pm »
Sorry but my tool has to be running in the Windows it needs to repair.

What you could do is try a repair install of Windows 7, first you need a Windows 7 cd with SP1 already on it
https://sites.google.com/site/linuxlablibrary/windows-iso

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

But I think you have to be in Windows to start the repair install.

What you can do is also install windows fresh, dont format the drive. Windows setup will move all the old files to a Windows.old folder on the drive.

But before you do anything make sure to check the drive for bad sectors. It will take a while but if it has bad sectors it could explain why it went nuts in the first place :wink:

Shane

Offline crazy4years

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »
Thank you much for the response. Fortunately I already checked the drive for errors and problems, that long process out of the way with no problems found.

Thank you for responding. I have disks for nearly everything but Win 7 and my internet service is not holding the download long enough to get a copy so looks like I will need to buy a copy and get it mailed out. I have inquired and no one I know has a straight OEM copy from Microsoft either. Have built a new system that has no OS yet, and I figured I'd better get used to Win 8 but that would be more than my folks could handle for changes. They still haven't gotten used to Win 7. Thanks for your time though. I wasn't coming up with a way to work around with any of my repair ware either. Figured it could not hurt to ask.

Blessing, TJ

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:36:20 pm »
Use a download manager to grab the iso. That way you can resume the download if you need to and get the iso. :-)

Or find a place that has better internet and download it there lol. Dont use the images that came with the system or it will put it back to the way it was when they first got it!

Shane