Author Topic: Blu-Ray & DVD not recognized...sort of, but mainly not! HELP!  (Read 9822 times)

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
Blu-Ray & DVD not recognized...sort of, but mainly not! HELP!
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:38:13 pm »
Hi!

My system is not wanting to recognize my Blu-Ray and DVD player when a disc is loaded in to the drives. Well, sometimes (but very rarely) for the DVD player, it does, but never for the Blu-Ray.

Now, let me clarify what I just said a bit.....When I go in to Device manager, the two drives show up as what they are. I go to properties, and everything is all fine and dandy.

When I put a DVD-R or a +R disc in to either one of them, then go to Nero "Nero Burning ROM", or Cyberlink PowerDVD 12, or even the LG Tool kit (Because the Blu-Ray drive is from LG, model number UH12NS29), the stupid PC says to, "Please insert a disk into DVD Drive (D:)". Actually, when I do that same thing and put it in to the Blu-Ray, it says, "Please insert a disc into drive H:"Same thing said when I go to "Computer" and click on the drives. When I put in a Blu-Ray disc that has prerecorded material on it like "RUSH - Beyond the lighted stage", it says, "Please insert a disc into drive H:".

Also, even though the discs can be brand new, Nero sometimes says' "Please insert an empty disc to write to...". The damn thing is empty because it is brand new! No matter how many discs I use, it is stuck on telling me the same thing.

All of my drivers are up to date. I have zero viruses in my system, and never had one in it!

My system is (major components):
Windows 7 64Bit, i7-3930K, Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3, 16Gbs of G.Skill RAM @ 2133MHz, nVidia GPU (not that this matters), 1000 watt Power Supply (it's overkill for me)...........

I called CyberPowerPC (Whom I ordered the computer from) about this. They sent me a small program that fixes something or other to where the Blu-Ray and DVD drives should work. Did they work? Of course not. NOw I am supposed to send in the Blu-Ray drive. The DVD drive is from my old HP system.

I have redone the hard drive like if it was brand new with barely anything in it. Guess what the DVD and the Blu-Ray brothers did?? Nothing! Of course they did nothing! What did you expect?

I am lost! Can someone please help me out with this stupid issue!?!?  :angry:

Thank you very much for all of you who read this post and for anyone who maturely answers my question. :)

Best regards,
Mike
 :teeth:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Blu-Ray & DVD not recognized...sort of, but mainly not! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:46:00 am »
Normally when a drive stops reading disks the drive is bad. Given the fact I can buy a new dvd burner for $18 on newegg shows you how cheap they are made lol

The best way to confirm if the drive is bad or not is to hook it into a different system and see if it works. :wink:

If it doesnt then the drive is bad.

If it does work then something else is wrong, such as the cabled hooked to the drive, the slot on the motherboard or something in Windows.

Shane

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:53 pm »
Hi! Thank you for replying!

I haven't tried to put the Blu-Ray in to another computer. I spaced on that idea! Thanks for bringing that up. I will try that today. The DVD drive has always worked in the HP computer that I have.
I have though reconnected the cables on the two drives, and like mentioned before, have redone my hard drive with the Windows 7.

You say that possibly the slot in the motherboard could be bad. I sure hope it isn't that!  :omg:

:thinking: Any other possibilities for my computer issues?

Thanks again Shane!! You have helped me once before by sending me a link to the Windows Repair Tool, and it worked great!!! I now use that tool when ever something is not working well anymore with my computer. Every time I use it, my computer is much happier....and so am I!!  :smiley:

Best regards,
Mike

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:04:20 pm »
First thing is to try the drive in another system and we can go from there. in fact try both drives :wink:

Shane

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:44:31 am »
Hi!

I tried the drive in the other computer, and no go. Matter in fact, I took even another DVD drive and put it in my newer computer and that didn't work either. Same kind of results.
Besides trying a different sata cable, any other ides on why it is like this? I don't get it. The drives are all recognized, but they do not want to read that there is an empty disc, or even a disc in the drives.
Is there some sort of setting that is off? I used your system repair tool and that didn't help.....but did for other non-related issues.

I've been instructed to send back the Blu-Ray drive before the warranty ends (3/20/2013). I hope it isn't a motherboard issue! That will be a headache if it is!   :cry:

What to do....what to do......

Thanks!

Mike

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 10:33:15 pm »
Send the drive back just to cover all the bases.

Almost every time I have a customer with a cd drive that wont read disks I just replace the drive and they are good to go.

I say get it replaced and when it come see how it does. If the new one still fails then we know for a fact the problem is else where. :wink:

Shane

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:24:50 pm »
Shane,

I just popped the Blu-Ray drive in the mail today. If it does not work when I get a new one back, I will continue this post with my next question. In the meantime, please keep this open. :)

Thanks Shane!  :smiley: :cheesy:  I will report back (regarding this) within two weeks. :)

Best regards,
Mike

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:27:03 pm »
The threads auto close after 30 days of no posts, so you should be good :-)

Shane

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 04:13:52 pm »
Shane,

I got the new Blu-Ray drive back from CyberPowerPC, and it works correctly!! Unfortunately though, the other drive I have I believe may be broken. That one came from a computer that I bought in 2006, so I am not to surprised....I don't really care about that one anyways.

Thanks for the help Shane!! I really appreciate it!!!

This now may be closed!!!

Best regards,
Mike
=)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 04:19:44 pm »
No problem :-)

Locking thread :wink:

And as always...
If your happy with my work. Then all I ask in return is you simply let others know about my site and programs. I help with anything computer or network related :-)
Also always feel free to make a post in the feedback forum.
And a facebook like at the top of the page of my site is nice as well. ;)

Shane