Author Topic: program lost all file assoc's  (Read 9244 times)

Offline Covert_Wolf

• View Profile
program lost all file assoc's
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:54:18 pm »
ran program to see if would fix a slow down problem . upon restart i had no file associations to all programs . this is 2x time this has happen using this tweaking program. i also have no sys restore . task manager says it is open but nothing on screen .so now that i have more problems then i started with , i need to fix this somehow . any help  ?
added :  got sys restore to open but it stuck in initializing, waited 30 min . no go
 ran tweak again  got no results  , ?  something seems to ?stick, hang , stop , w/e program in being used . i can open things using; right click, run as admin.  start up programs not opening , have to do all manually. any ideas were i can start ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:16:54 pm by Covert_Wolf »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: program lost all file assoc's
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:51:47 pm »
I run all my programs on a LOT of machines and never heard of this problem. Something else is differently going on! :wink:

Did you do a reg backup with the program first? Not a system restore but a reg backup with my tool. If so you can restore the registry with it.

As a test to see if it is a corrupt profile see if you can make a new user account, just for a test. Once you do log into the new user account. How does it do then?

Shane

Offline Covert_Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:57:18 pm »
as  i said both sys restores stop responding once it starts to initialize, also your reg backup , no response to click on it. ? i know it seems something other has gone wrong , i havent had time to explore . i ran S&D , malwares bytes ,AVg checks ,  S&d found a yantoo pagerage ?  think it was . no problem on cleaning it. ran tweak  as usual. on reboot anything i go to open has no file assoc . same as C:program files, all must be open on right click .things that need other components to run correctly , 'dont ' as no assoc between objects , IE: battlefield 3 , opens in webpage , but cant open the browser plugin, to open Origin [Gamecenter} and game itself.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 02:22:02 pm »
Did you do the test account yet?

Shane

Offline Covert_Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:40:31 pm »
ok  made guest account . all seems fine , altho i dont have alot to use as  programs in guest .  sooo ? that mean a user account control problem ? or some sort in between  ? added : turned off UAC , no change . things still same way
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:45:35 pm by Covert_Wolf »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:39:04 am »
Try doing somethings in the new user account and see how it does. If everything works then the problem is something with the other user account and not Windows.

Once you confirm I will know where to start looking :-)

Shane

Offline Covert_Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:33:54 pm »
ok  yes guest account worked, i just never allowed to many things to go on that . what i did have was ok .
after some research i found a program to fix the .exe files, all seems fine so far .  just did the fix 2 min ago and reboot , start menu all came up , things seem ok .  i 'll run a few checks and get back in aday or 2 .
 i still cant figure out how that happen, or what happen ,but it was some thing the user account itself ?  some reg file ? or ?  IDK  ?
Also i still havent looked up that yantoo pagerage thing ?  maybe the cause ? but it was after Spybot 'cleaned' that ,scan w/ malwaresbytes 'clean' ,and ran tweak B4 i rebooted ? i probly should have reboot b4 i ran the tweak
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:39:08 pm by Covert_Wolf »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 12:21:58 pm »
Odd, my repair tool fixes the exe permissions as well. But there is one thing I forgot to have it do. It is suppose to delete these keys under the current user reg

HKCU, Software\Classes\.exe
HKCU, Software\Classes\secfile

My repair replaces the missing exe keys but doesnt delete those 2. I will update the repair to remove those keys as well :wink:

Shane

Offline Covert_Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 06:01:56 pm »
that sounds as reasonable as anything i can think of , but you know alot more then i do on that stuff . i have no clue, as to the files you mention but they must have something to do w/ user ?  anyhow  i ran several things, cant find any problems now . but the tweak worked well and my speed is back up .  the restore buttons work  even tho i didnt run them , they do seem to work .i looked in the logs and didnt see anything that seem out of place , they all looked the same to me. but i should have posted it for you. my bad .
 so  thank you for your time w/ me , sorry to been a bother , just  never came across that type of problem b4.
 ps: soon as i can afford to  . i'll send a donation , i really do like this program

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 06:05:35 pm »
Yes the exe keys that needed to be removed are located under the current profile in the reg. I have updated the exe reg file in the program and will be part of the next update :-)

Shane