Author Topic: Embedded memory size from a folder  (Read 6918 times)

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
Embedded memory size from a folder
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:01:37 pm »
Hi!

I know there is a program for what I am going to ask. It's been years since I have seen it, and I have forgotten what it is.

QUESTION:
What program is there that tells you what files in your computer are what size?

For example.....I want to know what the largest files in my computer are. How do I get a list of this?
Also, is there a program that tells me how much memory is being used up inside of a particular folder...automatically, right there on my screen.

I do not want to have to go to every folder, right click on it, click on properties...blah blah blah...

Does this make sense?

I have a SSD 120Gb boot drive, and a 3Tb drive for just about all programs, games, music, photos and what not.....

The 120Gb drive is filling up somehow when I rarely install programs to it. The system restore files are deleted, so that opened up about 8Gb. I have 14.6Gb free now, and there should be more in my opinion. My downloads go to a partition in the 3Tb drive.

Thanks a bunch!!

I appreciate all mature answers!!! =)

Mike

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
Re: Embedded memory size from a folder
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:12 pm »
QUESTION:
What program is there that tells you what files in your computer are what size?

For example.....I want to know what the largest files in my computer are. How do I get a list of this?

Do you mean program like this?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Windows-Portable-Applications-Portable-TreeSize-Free.shtml
http://windirstat.info/

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:49:36 am »
Everytime when Microsoft issues new updates, the old (system) files are archived in a special folder on your drive. I also believe a copy of the every new files is stored in that archive. This also applies for every Service Pack you install and for new drivers. This allows you to go back to a previous state when an update would malfunction.

In Vista and later those archived files are in the C:\Windows\Winsxs" subfolders. DO NOT start messing with those files unless you're absolutely sure what you're doing !!!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:43:47 pm »
What I normally do is go to the root of the C: drive and get a size of each of the main folders. Then I know where to start looking in when I find one that is very big.

The Windows folder can be 20 gb easy.

I had just helped another user where the bulk of the size was in her profile on the system.

I am guessing your on Windows 7, so go to C:\Users and see what size it is, then inside the C:\Users you will she your profile folder see what size it is :wink:

Shane

Offline binaryman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:54:18 am »
Hi jZildjianZj
I recommend Directory Report
http://www.file-utilities.com
It looks just like the MS-Explorer but always shows the folder size

You can see all of your files in descending size order by:
Select menu: Largest / Display Largest Files