Author Topic: Crash Dump  (Read 7872 times)

Offline chris635

• View Profile
Crash Dump
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:14:34 pm »
Hi Shane,

I'v been fiddling with my pagefile set up on vista 32 bit 3 gig of ram for some time now. I'v recently read Mr. Russinovich (He is with Microsoft)take on how to properly configure your pagefile. He was saying open all the applications you use at a time and then check your peak commit charge then set the minimum pagefile to be that minus what how much ram you have. If you need breathing room set the maximum to be double that, If the value is negative pick a minimum size to permit the kind of crash dump the system is configured for. My question is this. What size should my pagefile be to permit a crash dump? I leave my computer on all the time with lots of programs running. Over a day or two my commit peak charge is almost 3 gig.

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Crash Dump
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »
My page file is off. The less load on the drive the faster the system.
But it wont record any crashes, which is fine. If i get crashes I will turn the page file back on (I have 8GB or ram)

The min you need for a crash dump is 400mb.

Having the page file set to the size Russinovich says is a good idea for most systems.

This is because it is enough for windows to push everything out of memory and into the page file (Something that is a nightmare if it happens, the slower the drive the worse the nightmare)

This was very common in the xp days with 512mb ram. Firefox alone would eat that up. But with more and more memory being in the system the less the page file is really needed. For me I have not once hit my max of memory. And I am a HEAVY system user.

So even with all that memory Windows still likes to push some things to the page file. This bugs me. So I turn it off. The HD is the bottle neck on the system. The trick is to try and stay off the drive as much as possible. Every bit helps and adds up.

So dont have a lot of memory and you can reach the max? Then Russinovich advice is best.
Have tons of memory and never come close to using it all? Then you can push performance a little further and disable the page file. :wink:

Pros and cons to both.

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »
I have pagefile now set to 800 meg min and max. On idol I never go above 480 to 600 meg of ram usage. I guess I could probably cut back to 500 meg min and max pagefile?

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:34:36 pm »
You should be fine with it as is.

Keeping it a static size is a good idea. :wink: