Author Topic: windows updates not installing  (Read 9797 times)

Offline cindy

• View Profile
windows updates not installing
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:38:18 pm »
I am getting an error on the pre-scan, see log in file attached below.  I do not have a system disk for this version of windows (7 ultimate 6.1.7601, SP 1 64bit) and someone before me has deleted the restore disk.  I have tried all the steps and suggestions listed.  I sure would appreciate some help! Thank you. 

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: windows updates not installing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:54:12 pm »
I uploaded a zip file with all the missing files. download it and follow these directions the directions are a quote i copied from one of shanes previous posts.

apply the reg file to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run my pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :wink:

Once done run all the repairs in my program and make sure to do it in safe mode and see how Windows updates does.
I hope this helps  :cheesy:
Julian

Offline cindy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 09:50:48 am »
I followed the instructions but I am still getting the same error message for one file, the .mum one.  I tried the whole process twice with same results. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:17 pm »
What is the error message you are getting when trying to do windows updates?

Also I just put out version 3.2.5 of the program where I added some more things to the repair windows updates, make sure to run the repairs in safe mode and dont worry about the pre-scan :wink:

Shane

Offline cindy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:38:09 am »
I am currently getting error 800B0100 on all 10 updates that are failing. I downloaded and ran the new version, from safe mode, same results.  I am trying the SFC now as I have not run that since I tried your software. 

FYI, I am also having an issue with this laptop where I get an unauthorized error when trying to update the BIOS.  I attempted that to see if it would help this issue plus an additional one where two devices are unknown and I can't figure out what they might be.  This is an older machine, Acer Aspire 6920. 

Offline cindy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 08:01:19 am »
I also get an error on running SFC.  I can post the log file if that is helpful.  I sure appreciate the help!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »
Looks like MS says to run the current build of their system readiness tool
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/956702

have you tried that yet?

Shane

Offline cindy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 05:13:44 am »
Yes, I tried the system readiness tool before but ran it again to see if it would help this time.  Same issue. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 09:34:35 am »
800B0100 means "Unknown Error", so Windows doesnt even know what the error is.

Then you also said
FYI, I am also having an issue with this laptop where I get an unauthorized error when trying to update the BIOS.  I attempted that to see if it would help this issue plus an additional one where two devices are unknown and I can't figure out what they might be.

I am wondering if .net framework is playing a roll with all this and if it is corrupt would explain the problems. As for the devices unknown, grab my hardware identify program
http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_hardware_identify_setup.exe

Once you install it and run it, have it update the database. Then in the drop down box have it set to show devices with no drivers and refresh the list. Then you can double click on the items it finds to see if it can find out what they are. Let me know what it gives you. The lists in the program you are able to right click on and save, so that will make it easy for you to post what it finds. :wink:

Shane

Offline cindy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 06:18:37 am »
Here are the problem device info from your program.  You sure have a sweet toolbox, love the ease of use. 

Name,Manufacturer,Error Code,Class,Driver Version,Hardware IDs
Unknown,,(28) Drivers are not installed,Unknown (),Unknown,USB\VID_138A&PID_0001&REV_0372|USB\VID_138A&PID_0001
Unknown,,(28) Drivers are not installed,Unknown (),Unknown,ACPI\ITE8708|*ITE8708

I think this machine has .net framework 3.5, do you think installing a newer version would be a good thing to try?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:12:05 am »
Run a command prompt as an admin and enter findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt" and that will put an icon onto your Desktop when double clicked will display the nitty gritty bits of the CBS Log in Notepad which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

You can run a more recent sfc /scannow if you want, before posting.

The USB\VID_138A&PID_0001 seems to be some sort of sensor http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=1689

Are you using a HP machine ?

The second Unknown Device appears to be for an ITECIR Infrared Reciever

Do any of these drivers ring a bell for any device you have or had installed ?

The first would seem to be OEM and at a guess, related to the second and may be available at your computer support site

When you get unknown devices in Device Manager, when clicking on View/Show hidden devices, a section of Device Manager remains expanded or there could be yellow alerts or red crosses against something else.

.NET 3.5 is part of Windows, but I would have thought you would have had an update to at least v.4.0 long ago given that we are now up to v.4.5.2

Don't know if it would help to run this MS Fix it for cannot install a program would help, but the CBS Log may have pertinent details.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:16:22 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 03:07:16 pm »
OK, but in the hardware identify program you have to double click on the unknown device and the program will open another window and see if there is something int he database it matches, i want to see what that shows :-)

Shane