Author Topic: request a fix for xp freeze during shut down  (Read 5244 times)

Offline ozzyfan6672

• View Profile
request a fix for xp freeze during shut down
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:25:11 pm »
I am one of the countless people that have spent months reading post after post in all the possible sites about xp professional freezes after displaying saving settings, and windows is shutting down. The mouse pointer freezes and no keys work. Screen stays on untill you force shutdown with power button. Have done every thing that I've read as a possible fix, but like so many, only thing I have gotten out of my efforts is sore eyes and a severe lack of sleep. Any fix for this you can offer that will work will launch you to "lord and master" status in my book! Using an IBM Thinkpad T43-2668 4DU with Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: request a fix for xp freeze during shut down
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »
I have had a few of my customers with this problem on some older machines. Some of them it was a bios issues not taking the turn off command from Windows. Others it was drivers, the drivers where not turning off or crashing the system. And of course for a few it was bad memory or a bad sector on the hard drive. While it always could be something with Windows itself the first thing to do is to check the others.

Also I have a reg tweak that tells Windows to report what it is doing during shutdown and startup. So instead of it just saying saving settings it will actually say what step it is at. That could help us pinpoint the problem.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]
    "verbosestatus"=dword:00000001

Also have you checked for a bios update and updated drivers yet?

Shane