Author Topic: Windows 8 Pro Admin accounts broken, defender broken, services broken.  (Read 9752 times)

Offline pizzaboy192

• View Profile
Good morning!
I have run into the strangest of issues:
I no longer am able to run admin commands on my Windows 8 Pro desktop, Windows Defender won't let me do anything, and a large number of services are running, but missing their description.

I've attached some screenshots with these errors.
I have no idea where to begin here. I tried the AIO tool, but it didn't do anything. I've tried doing a restore of the most recent backup, but these issues persisted, leading me to believe that they have been here more than a week.

I do not have physical access to this machine for a few weeks, as it is sitting in my parent's basement. I can remote into it just fine, and can do nearly all tasks but access administrator functions.

A secondary, local account also has these issues. I'm not sure what I need to be looking for.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Looks like a major problem with permissions. The current user profile might be corrupt.

The best thing to do, as a test, is to create a new user account, set it as an admin and then login with that account and see how things do.

Let me know how that goes :wink:

Shane

Offline pizzaboy192

• View Profile
Looks like a major problem with permissions. The current user profile might be corrupt.

The best thing to do, as a test, is to create a new user account, set it as an admin and then login with that account and see how things do.

Let me know how that goes :wink:

Shane
same issues on both the built in Administrator account and a new admin account.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Man something is really messed up deep. Have you done the Windows 8 built in repair install yet?

Shane

Offline pizzaboy192

• View Profile
Is that something that is accessible through Windows 8 directly? I don't have physical access until the 13th, and can try rebooting into recovery and restoring a backup from around April 10th to try and recover the system from there if nothing else works.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline pizzaboy192

• View Profile
Good to know. Looks like this is the feature that nukes your install and resets everything to factory. I'll try that if my backups are corrupt or not working, when I get pyshical access to the system.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It shouldnt nuke it, but just in case always make sure to have a backup :-)

Shane