Author Topic: Computer Powers Up But Won't POST  (Read 6945 times)

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
Computer Powers Up But Won't POST
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:57 pm »
Hi. I have a very odd, but common to HP issue.  My HP Pavilion Elite HPE-400f (no longer warranted and no longer eligible for their free repair service) will power on but that's about it.  All the components get power, however i get no video output, and the system board wont beep.  I replaced the system board, just to get the power button to turn the computer off instead of jut turning it on (only noticeable change).  The computer still won't POST.   When I unplugged everything and gutted it down to the bare essentials and powered it up, i noticed the green ethernet light half lit.  Does that signify anything?  Here's a link to a page where someone has an almost identical problem: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/898138.aspx  Can the processer really go bad, or is it my power supply?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:00:28 pm by DanTheTechMan »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Powers Up But Won't POST
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:44:52 am »
Could be a power supply not giving enough power, could be processor.

One way I test if it is a bad board or processor is to remove the memory chips from it and then turn it on. I should get a error beep code going off. When one doesn't then I know either the MB or CPU is bad since both of them are needed to even make the error codes for no memory being installed :-)

CPU's rarly go bad, but they can. I would try power next personally.

Shane

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:55:57 am »
You said if I get no beeps, it's either the MB or the CPU? I just replaced the MB, and I'm hoping to the high heavens it's not the CPU.  Would you still recommend attempting to replace/upgrade my power supply?  FYI, I currently have a 300 Watt, and I had 2 graphics cards, a quad core CPU, a 1 TB HDD, 4 2GB sticks of RAM, two optical drives, plus numerous external components.  Is it posible I overloaded the Power Supply and/or CPU?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:03:54 am »
300 watts is not enough at all bud. 450 watts min and the more the better.

That isnt how much the power supply does constantly but how much it can give out if needed. You really should do the power supply first.

This is the one I put in new systems for customers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

7 year warranty. And very power Efficient so helps the power bill.

That is with a system with 6 core cpu, 1 video card 2 hard drives and 8 gb of ram.

For gaming rigs I jump up to 750 watts.

Shane