Author Topic: Not genuine windows message  (Read 8189 times)

Offline Richard Windred

• View Profile
Not genuine windows message
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:40:26 pm »
I have an annoying message screen which says my windows 7 is not a genuine one. It is and for the first 4 years of this computers life this did not appear. I hoped after a tweaking files repair it might disappear but it has not.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Not genuine windows message
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »
My Windows repair tool doesnt do anything with the activation on the system.

Go to the start menu and right click on computer and click properties. At the bottom of the screen it should show the activation, take a screen shot for me and post it.

Also what kind of computer do you have? Is it a store bought computer and if it is what model?

Shane

Offline Richard Windred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 04:11:25 am »
Dear Shane,

Thank you for replying so quickly to my problem. My apologies for being so long in replying. I attach images of the annoying message I am complaining of and of the activation screen. The computer I have the problem on is my old reserve computer. It is a desktop from a small UK assembler Chillblast on which I run win7 ( on which I have the problem ) and win8 in separate partitions. I came across your program when I was trying to fix my main computer and am very impressed with it though it has not fixed all my problems yet. I will make a contribution as freeware must be supported.

Regards,

Richard Windred

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:46 am »
Odd, it shows Windows is activated right there.

Can you confirm the Windows is legit and not using a hack or anything? If it is legit have you done a SFC on the system yet and does the event viewer give us any info?

Also what happens if you try to activate it again with the wizard you posted in the first screen shot?

Shane

Offline Richard Windred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56:35 am »
This computer a Chillblast model Fusion Dominator was purchased from Chillblast 5/12/2008 with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. Windows 7 was bought from Comet on 29/10/2009 and installed on this computer. I have the discs. There is no question of its being anything else than legitimate. This screen only started to appear in 2013. I have run the SFC. It reports some files were corrupted but could not be fixed. I have the log file but it is big. I can send it to you. I can find nothing relevant under C/windows/logs except the SFC log. I tried the "learn more on line" under the not genuine image but it would not connect. I don't want to change the product key and am wary of entering this.

Thanks for your help.

Richard Windred

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:16:31 am »
I have run the SFC. It reports some files were corrupted but could not be fixed.

This means the Winsxs folder is corrupt and the ONLY way to fix it is with a reinstall
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large.aspx

Which can also explain the activation problem.

Thankfully instead of doing a fresh install and losing everything you can do a repair install instead.

First you need a Windows 7 cd with SP1 already on it, you can grab that here
https://sites.google.com/site/linuxlablibrary/windows-iso

Then just follow this
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

This will not only repair the winsxs folder but anything else as well, such as the activations :-)

Shane

Offline Richard Windred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:27 am »
Many thanks Shane. I will try it and report back.

Richard