Author Topic: adobe air what it is. Is it safe to download  (Read 9541 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
adobe air what it is. Is it safe to download
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:24:23 pm »
Hi,         

We usually update java and adobe reader for internet purposes. But i do not know, where this got installed. I usually go to the Flash player and adobe reader page to download. Is this a new programme. Is it safe to use. What is the use of it in web page. Please Shane. As this is a new addition, and periodically alerts for new updates, I am asking this.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: adobe air what it is. Is it safe to download
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:58:37 am »
It is a real adobe program

About Adobe AIR:

The Adobe AIR runtime enables developers to package the same code into native applications and games for Windows and Mac OS desktops as well as iOS and Android devices, reaching over a billion desktop systems and mobile app stores for over 500 million devices.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:59:44 pm »
Hi, Shane
                Is it of recent orientation of adobe. I suddenly found it by, when it asked for an update. Is it a program installed by adobe, when installing flash player? How could i use? Can i uninstall it without problem?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:20:42 pm »
Adobe Air probably came preinstalled on your computer if OEM, as some of the programs use it and if you are using a home build, then one or more of the programs you have installed will use it just as a program may need to use of the MS Visual C++ Redistributables.

I forget what I downloaded now, but that installed the 2012 whereas previously I only had up to 2010.

You could create a restore point or system image and then uninstall it to see which programs cease to function.

After reading your thread, I checked my version against the latest and found mine was still at v.9 and so updated it to the current v.14.

The reason I don't get any prompts for Java or Adobe updates is because I have their updaters unchecked in msconfig, as I prefer as little as possible in my Startup menu.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:24:39 pm »
Hi, Boggins,  Thank you for the information

But i am sure that this program was not present up to a month back. This program was not installed when i installed the OS. What is of use to us. Pl

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:31:57 pm »
Hi, Boggins,  Thank you for the information

But i am sure that this program was not present up to a month back. This program was not installed when i installed the OS. What is of use to us. Pl

As I've said, if a program that you have installed requires it for its functionality, then it would have been bundled with the download just as some programs will install the Redistributables.

It's also possible that Flash Player may have installed it if it didn't detect it on your computer.

This article may explain things better http://ask-leo.com/what_is_adobe_air.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:35:54 pm by Boggin »