Author Topic: Windows Security Service Center won't start Fix  (Read 10390 times)

Offline GraFowler

• View Profile
Windows Security Service Center won't start Fix
« on: October 06, 2014, 04:06:25 pm »
Dear Forums,
Is there a program within the brilliant "Windows Repair Program" from Tweaking Dot Com that can fix the "Windows Service Centre can't be started"
Thank you
GraFowler

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Security Service Center won't start Fix
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:27:33 pm »
You can try running all the repairs, just have the program do a registry backup first.

What version of windows, and what is the error exactly that you are getting?

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 01:11:23 am »
Are you posting on the affected machine - but you do need to give more info as Shane has asked.

Infections can cause this problem and running a scan with an effective anti malware scanner would be best before attempting any remedial action.

Had you downloaded anything prior to this error message ?

If it is due to an infection, your restore points have probably been knocked out but if you can boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and have an Internet connection, download/run a scan with ESET Free Online Scanner http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Click on Advanced and check all of the boxes except the proxy one then disable your AV program immediately before hitting the Scan button.

This scan will take some time depending upon how much you have installed.

If you don't have Internet connectivity and an anti malware scanner installed then boot up into Safe Mode - go Start - type mrt.exe - press enter and select the Full scan and let us know if anything has been found.

Offline GraFowler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:29:48 pm »
Hi Shane,
Thanks for replying. I was working on a customers desktop pc and she had malware on it, so I ran ADWCLEANER, JRT and MALWAREBYTES and cleaned the machine. The red and white security shield from Microsoft popped up in the task tray and when I clicked on it, it said the Windows Security Service Centre can't be started. When I opened services the "automatic delayed start was greyed out and the services was stopped, with no option available to restart the Security Centre Service. She has Windows Vista 32 bit installed. I think its got to do with AVG free edition which the customer let expire. I'm not posting on the affected machine
Thanks
GraFowler

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 02:55:10 pm »
I didn't know a free AV could expire unless AVG is like Avast Free where you have to register it to renew its activation.

Try the AVG 32 bit Uninstaller http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

Were you able to check the Security Center Dependencies were Started ?

You could try this ESET Services Repair Tool to see if it will reinstate the service http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:59:09 pm by Boggin »

Offline GraFowler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 03:27:26 pm »
Hi Boggin,
Thanks for replying.
Yes my apologies it had to be re-activated, I have known AVG to cause problems if left un-activated, also the customer had told me she then attempted to install AVG again without taking the old version off first, saying that though the computer was badly infected with malware. The Security Center wouldn't start after cleaning.
I will try the Eset Services Repair Tool to see if it will reinstate the service.
Thanks
GraFowler 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 04:38:36 pm »
It's quite possible that the expired version is conflicting with the new install and running the AVG Uninstaller a couple of times may do it.

I've seen something similar with MBAM.

A trial of the Pro version had expired and the free version was installed on top of it - can't remember now what that conflict caused, but the MBAM uninstaller needed to be used to clean out the lot so as to reinstall the free version.

Edit

Been having a dig around should nothing so far suggested sort it and have come across a couple of items.

There are these steps which include a link for a MS Fixit http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-security-center-service-cant-be-started and you could still have this running in the computer http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/svrwsc.exe-25819.html

I like Process Explorer to pinpoint these sort of files as it now includes VirusTotal.com http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

If you haven't already got this on the affected computer, after you've opened it up, click on Options and ensure Verify Signatures is checked and then hover over VirusTotal and check the box for Check VirusTotal.com

After the Signatures have been verified you will see a column with values/~50 mainly in blue - but any with a highish red value/~50 is suspect and if that file is in there then it's likely to be flagged.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:38:27 pm by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:40:07 pm »
After the system was cleaned up did you make sure to run all the repairs in the WR program?

You didnt answer my question on what repairs you ran so I want to make sure you ran them all. You would be amazed how many of the repairs are tied in together, so running them all is always the best thing to do.

I have to double check and see if I have the security center service registry keys in the program as well. I have a lot in there and I cant remember lol

Shane