Author Topic: Scheduled registry b/u failed. Manual runs OK.  (Read 9716 times)

Offline fsgilbert

• View Profile
Scheduled registry b/u failed. Manual runs OK.
« on: November 01, 2014, 04:42:51 pm »
Running Registry Backup 1.10.1 on a daily 0335 time schedule, I get failures. Running the program manually completes w/o a problem.

According to the log this seems to be the offending point in the process, :

11/1/2014 - 3:35:26 AM] Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
[11/1/2014 - 3:35:26 AM] Result: Failed - Error: -1 (API Reg Save Failed, Tried File Copy, File In use, Cannot copy.)

[11/1/2014 - 3:35:26 AM] Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\ntuser.dat
[11/1/2014 - 3:35:26 AM] Result: Failed - Error: -1 (API Reg Save Failed, Tried File Copy, File In use, Cannot copy.)

I strongly suspect I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know enough to figure out what the problem is.
System: Win 7 on a home-built x64

TIA for your help.

Francis

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Scheduled registry b/u failed. Manual runs OK.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:36:00 am »
Is the account UpdatusUser the account that the nvidia drivers maker for their update software? If so you should be fine to not have that backup, but you said you dont get the error when you run it manually.

Do you have the scheduled backup (From task scheduler) set to run under the system account or your account? What happens if you switch on which one it uses to run with?

Shane

Offline fsgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:15:00 pm »
Yes, UpdatusUser is the account that the nvidia uses for their update software. I can leave that out of the back-up list, as you suggest; although, as you mentioned Tweaking doesn't object when run manually, so I too suspect that's not the cause of the problem.

I reset the scheduled back-up to run under the system account. I'll know tomorrow morning whether that solves the issue.

I noticed, too, that one of the settings on the bottom of TaskScheduler's window is for Win7 specifically. I had not noticed previously that the default is for Vista. Don't know if that's involved or not, but I reset it to Win7.

I ran a manual b/u just a moment ago, and it still runs fine that way (no notes about failure). Hopefully, the simple change in the account running the task will resolve the issue. I'll post tomorrow with my findings.

Tnx.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:18:32 pm »
Are you having the program use VSS or only using the fallback method?

Reason why I ask is it is possible that when you are running it manually that that user account isnt in use and so the program doesnt get the file in use error. But when ran from the task scheduler it might be running the same time the nvidia account is in use and so it gets the file in use error.

I dont use VSS myself since I have it set to do 1 backup a day at startup and vss slows things down. So I only use the fall back method, but the vss method can backup files that are currently in use. But I think it might just be a simple timing problem where the backup is happening when the other account is active and locking the registry file :-)

Shane

Offline fsgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »
It's running VSS when I do a manual b/u, but it's set with the Fallback method as default on the advanced settings page.

I seldom turn the machine off (maybe x1/w), so I just have it scheduled to do the b/u at 0330 on a daily basis. I can't tell from TaskScheduler what time the Nvidia check occurs. Don't see it listed separately.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 02:38:36 pm »
Part of the log you posted told me it was using the fall back method, which uses the windows api to save the reg file, and if it fails the program tries to just copy it. VSS makes a shadow copy and allows files in use to be copied, so that would explain why you are not getting the error when you use vss.

Shane

Offline fsgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 02:48:28 pm »
Then that's an option I might use if tomorrow morning's run fails, correct? Of course, it might be just as simple, and a bit speedier, to uncheck the Nvidia stuff. We're probably talking just a few seconds here when it comes to "speedier," though. And at 0330 in the a.m., I am not sitting at the machine waiting for something to close.  :sleep:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 03:15:58 pm »
Let me know how it goes :-)

The nvidia one really doesnt need to be backed up anyways :-)

Shane

Offline fsgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 10:00:58 am »
It failed. I'll remove the nvidia files from the b/u.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 01:02:30 pm »
Thanks for letting me know :-)

Shane