Author Topic: problem still there ?  (Read 37740 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: problem still there ?
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 04:13:46 am »
Doesnt matter if windows was reinstalled, if the drive has bad sectors then even a fresh install will get corrupt files. :wink:

Shane

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 04:14:07 am »
Probably best to open an elevated command prompt and run a chkdsk /r to see what that reports.

ok  :smiley: i will give it a try  :artist:

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 04:16:48 am »
Doesnt matter if windows was reinstalled, if the drive has bad sectors then even a fresh install will get corrupt files. :wink:

Shane

aha  :wink: how to check for bad sectors to i make sure Q :shy: and thank Shane for the info  :tongue:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 04:30:06 am »
aha  :wink: how to check for bad sectors to i make sure Q :shy: and thank Shane for the info  :tongue:

See my Reply #23

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 05:49:13 am »

See my Reply #23

aha i got it and i run this cmd with admin and it find a corrupt files but with non admin it find nothing ? anyway where i can to find the report ?  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:51:53 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 06:51:40 am »
i just ran other sfc/scannow and now it give this http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2637.msg17732.html#msg17732 again !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:53:19 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 12:37:51 am »
Hi, Shane

Normally that scan would show some corrupted files, which we could copy. But there seems to be broken files in the system, which could not be repaired. Even repeat of sfc scannow show the errors. Shane, is there any way how to interpret the findings of the sfc. or is it only readable by microsoft people
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 04:07:44 am »
Can you post the results of the chkdsk /r

You'll find them in Event Viewer - When it has finished reading the logs, click on Windows Logs/Applications and when Applications has loaded, right click on Applications - click on Find and type chkdsk or wininit - press enter then close the Find box.

Click on Copy in the lower right pane then on Copy details as text and then you can right click in the Reply box and select Paste.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 04:28:50 am »
Can you post the results of the chkdsk /r

You'll find them in Event Viewer - When it has finished reading the logs, click on Windows Logs/Applications and when Applications has loaded, right click on Applications - click on Find and type chkdsk or wininit - press enter then close the Find box.

Click on Copy in the lower right pane then on Copy details as text and then you can right click in the Reply box and select Paste.

yes i can and here you go the log file for chkdsk  :artist:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:30:32 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 05:13:41 am »
I think you're looking at a new HDD but I'll leave the final analysis to Shane, but not sure when he'll get back with it being the holiday season.

I wouldn't have expected a sfc /scannow to still be reporting problems after a chkdsk /r when it has said it has replaced bad clusters.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 01:56:01 am »
I think you're looking at a new HDD but I'll leave the final analysis to Shane, but not sure when he'll get back with it being the holiday season.

ok we will look into this later time and we’ll wait for Shane return ! :artist: anyway we’re going to formats the others laptops as an test of such problem! but before doing this i may want know if can use the windows activator code on other 32-OS proformas ?

I wouldn't have expected a sfc /scannow to still be reporting problems after a chkdsk /r when it has said it has replaced bad clusters.

yes you are correct 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:59:19 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 06:00:18 am »
Generally speaking, it's one key - one machine unless you are using a Corporate or multiuser key.

The other exception is with OEM machines.

Where you have the same make of machine with the same OS version you'll find they have the same vendor generic key and Belarc Advisor will display this for you. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Running this program on each of any OEM machine will show you which generic key you can use for each machine should you want to do either a Clean or Repair install.

With OEM machines the COA sticker doesn't always work when reinstalling with an ISO, but it's worth making a note of the COA sticker keys because the label can become worn and make a note also of the vendor 25 alphanumeric character generic keys.

Without going back through your thread, I'm not sure if I've linked the source of a Win 7 SP1 ISO or the tool to create a bootable USB/DVD.

You can download/Save the appropriate ISO from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-124821 and use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool to create a bootable USB/DVD.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 06:41:07 am »
thank Boggin for all your info and i was using a program called keyfinder  https://www.magicaljellybean.com/ and i already have grab my pro windows license-key so do i need to download the other program in the link you post ?  :wink:

and i have Puzzled here because I do not know what this means x86 or x64  :cheesy:

after i make sure of that i will start working on the other laptop !  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 06:44:01 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 07:39:33 am »
Yes, MagicJellyBean is another program - it's just that I've gotten used to using Belarc, but as you have your keys then there's no need to download Belarc - although it's more than just a key finder.

How many machines is your Pro licence for and have you ran MagicJellyBean on all of the machines ?

The x86 and x64 relate to 32 bit and 64 bit respectively as the ISO download page points out at the top of the ISO download links.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:51:34 am by Boggin »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 02:00:04 am »
Yes, MagicJellyBean is another program - it's just that I've gotten used to using Belarc, but as you have your keys then there's no need to download Belarc - although it's more than just a key finder.

alright then that’s is okay thank  :tongue:

How many machines is your Pro licence for and have you ran MagicJellyBean on all of the machines ?

I don’t know but i think it was a license for 1 laptop and my pro have windows 7 ultimate 64-bit system and i have my own bootable  windows 7 ultimate 32-bit system on dvd and we don’t have yet a bootable windows 7 ultimate 64-bit system for my pro so i want ask something so here the 
Question
if we purchase a new laptop it should come with a window CD ?  :blank:

The x86 and x64 relate to 32 bit and 64 bit respectively as the ISO download page points out at the top of the ISO download links.

aha thank for this info  :smiley:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:04:04 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 04:06:17 am »
Laptops these days tend to have a Recovery partition so don't come with install disks.

As any new laptop is likely to come win Win 8.1 these days unless you can root out one with Win 7, I only know of one 8.1 ISO download and that is for Win 8.1 Pro with a choice of 32 or 64 bit.

Not sure if MS provide ISOs for other 8.1 versions.

Also on a laptop there is provision for creating a one-off set of OEM disks which will be a copy of the Recovery partition.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 05:02:17 am »
Hi,
                Very interesting thread. Got to know more about those keys and all. But laptops are not sold with the dvd as Boggins rightly pointed out. The recovery partition is there, but how to use it to repair or kind of reset is very tough in laptops. Normally they have programs of recovery in their website. Recovery disc and how to create those discs and how to run are written in their website usually.
                    Hi boggins , the recovery disc, could it be opened normally to view and do some execution or could only be accessed thro initial boot screens in laptop?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 05:49:34 am »
Hi,
                Very interesting thread. Got to know more about those keys and all. But laptops are not sold with the dvd as Boggins rightly pointed out. The recovery partition is there, but how to use it to repair or kind of reset is very tough in laptops. Normally they have programs of recovery in their website. Recovery disc and how to create those discs and how to run are written in their website usually.
                    Hi boggins , the recovery disc, could it be opened normally to view and do some execution or could only be accessed thro initial boot screens in laptop?

The OEM Recovery disks (usually made up from 2) are bootable and will factory reset the computer when used.

I suppose you could open them in Windows but doubt that you could extract anything as you can with an install disk.

If you have a Recovery partition on your computer, open it up and you will see the same files as you will have on the disks.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 11:52:58 pm »
Hi, Boggins.
                      What would be the name of the file/folder. Could we see that. I found other software drivers in c:swsetup folder in laptop. That is where the original drivers are stored.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 01:08:26 am »
I'm not sure which file/folder you mean.

On my Toshiba laptop the recovery partition is in Drive D: where there are multiple files including a Setup Application which automates the whole process just as a driver installation is.

What you have in C: is unlikely to be related to the Recovery process as when using the OEM Recovery disks, you are booting up outside of Windows and when using the factory reset option in the computer, you need to boot up into the Advanced Boot options to select Repair your Computer which also takes you outside of Windows after the required reboot for it to effect.

This is because you can't repair/replace files while they are in use and is why a chkdsk /f or /r has to dismount the volume first before it can do its thing.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 10:03:01 am »
116 KB in bad sectors.

Soon as I see that in a chkdsk it is time to replace the drive. I just spent 20 hours recovering data from a machine where the drive was going bonkers on me. Finally got the data off, and it only showed 8 KB in bad sectors, which account for 51 bad sectors. You have 116 KB, you have a LOT of bad sectors.

Shane

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2015, 02:25:52 am »
116 KB in bad sectors.

Soon as I see that in a chkdsk it is time to replace the drive. I just spent 20 hours recovering data from a machine where the drive was going bonkers on me. Finally got the data off, and it only showed 8 KB in bad sectors, which account for 51 bad sectors. You have 116 KB, you have a LOT of bad sectors.

Shane

aha we will look into this if we can  :smiley: but can i ask you something ? and my My question is if i do wiping/formatted the Partition of the harddrive then the bad sectors will be gone as on rootkits Infection ? https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/129556-beta-program-forever-yo/  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:29:41 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2015, 03:56:38 am »
You are still getting sfc errors after a chkdsk /r with 116KB reported in bad sectors, but to confirm your HDD is on the way out download Seatools for DOS and use ImgBurn to create a bootable disk.

If it fails in either the Short or Long test then it's well on the way to being shot.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-guide.pdf

http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 06:04:57 pm »
Formatting doesn't fix bad sectors. bad sectors are a physical problem on the drive. Every drive has a 200 or so sectors set aside for the drive to remap to in case it finds bad ones. But once those are used up there is nothing that can be done. And a lot of times once you start getting bad sectors it will continue to get worse.

Get a new drive :-)

Shane