Author Topic: Can't create scheduled task in XP  (Read 7459 times)

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
Can't create scheduled task in XP
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:09:21 pm »
I'm trying to create a scheduled task (to run auslogics disk defrag), but XP keeps giving me the 0x80070005 permissions error. I'm an administrator, so that shouldn't be a problem. XP is fully updated.

From my research, this is either a registry or file system permissions problem - specifically, permissions surrounding the All Users\Start Menu hierarchy. There may be a utility available from MS to resolve it. At least there was.

I tried resetting registry, file system and services permissions with Tweaking, but no-go. Would you consider baking this repair into the prog?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Can't create scheduled task in XP
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:26:47 pm »
Can you post a screen shot of the error you are getting? And do you get the error when you have it set to run only when the user is logged on?

Shane

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:38:40 pm »
Sorry for the delay - I had to teach gmail that this wasn't spam...

Getting a screenshot is easy, because this error is failsafe.

The error comes before the Advanced Properties dialog, where log-in-state parameters are set. It does come after the dialog where one would set the user account password. I never have a password on the machines I set up, and that could be the problem.

Wow, I went back and checked that "only when logged on" box, and no error was thrown and it seems to be working now. I guess that overrides the need for the password. It seems the problem is solved. I thought I had tried that before, but evidently not.

THANKS,
Paul

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:01:23 pm »
Hi, Shane best guessed solution.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:48:02 am »
There was an update in XP and in every version of Windows since where a program cant be ran from the task scheduler without a password, otherwise you have to use the only when the user is logged on :wink:

They did that because otherwise any program or virus could run from the task scheduler without the user being logged on and could run as an admin account. It was a big security hole.

Shane

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 06:49:27 am »
I have no problem with that, but they should have delayed the error until after the ability to check the "only when logged in" box, or given some guidance with the error.