Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Store, PC Setting & Start Menu not working  (Read 8841 times)

Offline Lrw54321

• View Profile
Windows 8.1 Store, PC Setting & Start Menu not working
« on: December 15, 2014, 01:38:36 am »
Hi, I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 8.1 about a year ago soon after it's release but it's been more trouble than it's worth.

After the update, all of my start menu icons were removed and I am unable to pin them back.
The Windows Store application and PC Settings have also become unusable. When trying to open them, it simply brings me to the start menu with them running in the background

The windows refresh feature is unavailable to me due to it being activated in PC Settings.
I've tried solutions which have worked with other users such as sfc/ scannow and DISM to no avail.
Recently, I stumbled upon the Windows all-in-one Repair in which I tried the "Windows 8 App Store" and "Windows 8 Component Store" repairs which also didn't solve the problem which is what led me to this forum.

I'm using a Lenovo Y580 running on Windows 8.1 Pro

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 Store, PC Setting & Start Menu not working
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:29:31 pm »
When using my windows repair tool make sure to run all the repairs. A lot of times problems are due to side effects from other things, so running all the repairs is always a good idea. Just make sure to have the program do a registry backup first, that way if anything goes wrong you can restore the registry to before the repairs. :wink:

Shane

Offline Lrw54321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:52:11 pm »
Well, I've ran all of the repairs now.

Still nothing  :sad:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 02:44:14 pm »
The windows 8 store is a nightmare and is by far the easiest thing to break in Windows I have ever seen. I really hope they have it much more stable when windows 10 comes out next year.

As a test create a new user account on the system and see if the store works for the new user. :wink:

Shane

Offline Lrw54321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:18:56 pm »
Ummm...is there any other way to create a new user account besides using PC Settings?   :thinking:

The only other account I can access from control panel is the Guest Account and it's store also isn't working.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 01:26:23 am »
Will this article help - there's also some helpful looking FAQs lower down the page. http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=85

As you've upgraded from 8 to 8.1, not sure if a Refresh would revert you to 8 - but that may not be a bad thing as you could then try the upgrade again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

I believe a Reset will revert you to Win 8.0 but you would need to back up your personal stuff first and any programs will need reinstalling.

Do all devices work as they should after the upgrade as there have been cases where the odd item in Win 8 wasn't supported for 8.1 driver wise - I think MS's 8.1 upgrade caught some vendors on the hop.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 01:48:53 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:14:27 am »
Ummm...is there any other way to create a new user account besides using PC Settings?   :thinking:

The only other account I can access from control panel is the Guest Account and it's store also isn't working.

My technicians toolbox that I have out in beta can create user accounts :-)

Shane