Author Topic: Thunderbird, is it a mail browser for firefox?  (Read 8707 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Thunderbird, is it a mail browser for firefox?
« on: December 29, 2014, 04:51:39 am »
Hi,
                  I have used google takeout tool to save the contents of mail and optional calender . It was downloaded as zip file and google team sent email about it as a enclosure in gmail. Ok. well. But i found it hard to download the zip file and eventually i succeeded after repeated attempts. When i tried to open that with 7zip. it came with bad header error.
                    I surfed the net and then try winrar. There was a repair option. I select this in the winrar explorer and select this file and then select repair. It repaired and i now have 223 mb of data in ics format.The original download size is 224 mb. Ok.
                          When i opened this file, microsoft outlook autopops to open it like any email client. I do not like outlook, as it once opened and swallowed all my email from yahoo due to the preconfigurations of outlook. So, i think that it is in ics format and thunderbird could be able to open it. Please kindly say, what is thunderbird?Is it a kind of new browser like firefox or gmail like for google for firefox. I tried to download and succeeded in downloading thunderbird. If it is anything like outlook, then i am not going to open  it. So, i want your idea , whether it will swallow all my emails or just you could open any ics file of google takeout in it as a normal program, an offline program to open and view the contents of your previous gmails.
                    A detailed reply would be helpful, friends
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird, is it a mail browser for firefox?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:20:42 am »
Thunderbird is a email client, like outlook but made by the same programmers who make firefox. I dumped outlook for thunderbird a long time ago because it plays much nicer with imap than outlook does, that and it supports add ons just like firefox :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:55:57 pm »
Hi Shane,
                   Wish you and your family members and also all the readers, members Happy New Year 2015.
                Thanks. Should i open a separate account to access gmail here. Or could i keep the gmail intact. When i used the outlook once to mail to a concern, it swallowed all my yahoo mails i received in the Yahoo to it. Outlook is not user friendly.
                            I hear that you could use thunderbird to open google takeout (your previous contents of google products like gmail etc) thro thunderbird.  Because, i could not open the ics file, and when i double clicked, the outlook autopops to configure. I would be thankful to you, if you could reply on the above things.
                          Firefox uses google, and likewise Thunderbird works on gmail or separate mails

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 05:59:44 pm »
Even if outlook downloads the messages from gmail they are still on the server. So just setup thunderbird to use imap with gmail and all your messages should be there.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:56:33 am »
Hi, Thanks for the information. when i saw the drained yahoo messages, i opened the google and then export thro imap from outlook to get my yahoo mails intact with enclosures.
                          Shane, why the settings of outlook is such that when you enter the screen, it auto swallows all the messages of other mail servers. Is it a default settings to copy all the messages. You know very well that interface of outlook is not that attractive as gmail , and also a rare companies mail user. I had just replied to the query by clicking the link that has resulted in swallowing of mails of other prominence.
                         Shane, from heresays, and as precaution, i want to take a storage of gmail and contents with the help of google takeout. It was simple and i had some problem of downloading the file from the server. Now i have the file downloaded to my pc. But i do not know how to open it without opting outlook.
                     I came across thunderbird while surfing the net. Please kindly say how to open the google takeout zip file using thunderbird.Pl shane,

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:58:55 pm »
I have no clue how to pull thos files lol

But you shouldnt need to, have thunderbird log into your gmail account under a IMAP account and it should sync right up.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:08:23 pm »
Hi, Sorry to disturb on the week end.
                      do you mean that it is firefox email? and it will copy all the gmails to thunderbird. Would it not be better, if it remain in gmail itself. Indirectly , asking why thunderbird is needed if it could be preserved in gmail itself. Google if it close the gmail, then how to get the contents of your mails stored in their server. Is there any way.
                          Please reply after the weekend. For me , i take daily weekend period as i am free

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:44:10 pm »
Hi, Shane
            This is the link that i want you to look and advice on the following points. Now i know something that thunderbird also copies all the mails from gmails to its folders. Please see the gmail part in my link.
My doubt,
                Could this open the googletake.zip one download using google takeout? and could the attachements in those mails could be opened.
                      Is thunderbird has any option to store the mail contents from this googletake.zip separately in a folder. Pl advise, as i am very new to thunderbird. Outlook if you try to post a query to a government site, which has outlook as their contact, then it swallows every other mail.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-gmail-google-data/

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:21:22 pm »
Stop stressing yourself out lol

Just do what I said with thunderbird and try it. Gmail keeps the email on its server no matter what. So even if thunderbird downloads them they are still on googles servers. Plus IMAP is meant to keep the emails on the server and that way they stay synced between multiple devices.

Such as my phone, and then thunderbird on my computer. I use IMAP on both, that way I make a change in one spot and it also updates in the other.

Shane