Author Topic: Windows 8.1 not allowing user to use local input keyboard  (Read 6320 times)

Offline DBare

• View Profile
Windows 8.1 not allowing user to use local input keyboard
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:09:41 am »
On a new Windows 8.1 box, I managed to configure an administrator user to use keyboard "Français - Belgique". But when I use the exact same procedure for a user without administrator privilege, Windows 8.1 shows it the config menus but in the end uses another keyboard input method. It seems that even if "Français - Belgique" is available, Windows cannot make use of it and the input method is either the second language that is used, or if there's no second keyboard, it automatically adds English.

Can someone help me out please?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 not allowing user to use local input keyboard
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:27:16 pm »
I never used a different one so I havent been through what you have, so I dont know which direction to try just yet.

If it wont work for a user who isnt and admin means that the keyboard is trying to access something that normally needs admin access to. Odd a keyboard would need that though.

Shane

Offline DBare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 12:55:51 pm »
Yes that's really strange.  I have the French keyboard installed but it won't take the one for "French - Belgium"...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:16:10 pm »
Ok from what I have been able to find, a non administrator isnt allowed to change the keyboard layout, BUT an admin can do it and then apply it to other accounts.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apply-regional-language-settings-reserved-accounts#1TC=windows-7

Found a better how-to here
http://www.7tutorials.com/easy-way-copying-display-keyboard-input-languages-plus-format-location-settings-all-user-accounts

See if this helps, that is if I am understanding your problem correctly lol

Shane