Author Topic: Re Pre Repairs Scan in version 3  (Read 20502 times)

Offline elw

• View Profile
Re Pre Repairs Scan in version 3
« on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:23 pm »
I have just completed a Pre Repairs Scan which has come up with numerous missing Windows Package files.  Tha log states that "problems where found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced". The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually".  How do I replace/re-install these missing files?

Also there are three Reparse points which are not "pointing to the correct default location".  How do I correct this error (the log does identify the correct default location)?

Finally there is one problem with the Environmental Variables which states the "folder in the 'Path' variable doesn't exist".  How do I rectify this?

Any assistance would be gratedully received.  Thanks

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Re Pre Repairs Scan in version 3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:03:12 am »
- Do you have any failed Updates ?
- Click on "Open repair Environment Variables" under the scan screen. Then an extra screen opens. There you can repair e.g. the "Path=" command line.

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:33 am »
I have only gad one failed update = KB2976978.

Not sure how to "...repair e.g. the "Path"=" command line.  Can you explain please?

What about how to replace/re-install the missing package files?  How is this done?

Look forward to ypur reply.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:56:33 am »
- Any Update places a number of files in a special folder. When one of those files are missing or corrupted then one or more updates will continue to fail. That's why one needs to have a copy of those files BEFORE updating one's system. But I don't know in which folder these files are located. Shane knows.
- Windows Update is very brittle and can easily be broken. That's why I recommend the following:
  1. Set the method to "Notify before downloading". Then you can update when you got enough time.
  2. When WU asks to restart one's system then Always decline. Let WU wait until you shut down your system.
- At the bottom there's a button that opens the "Repair Environment Variables" screen. That's where you can try to fix the Environment variables. You also can manually repair those Variables. Windows provides a GUI for that but then one needs to dig rather deep.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:31:18 am »
Do the scan again and then copy the log text for me and paste it :wink:

When it comes to replacing the missing or corrupt files in the packages folders, you have to normally grab them from a good machine or manually download the update that has them and extract them. Since that isnt easy to do I just ask users to post here, then when I see the log I can grab the files they need and post them :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 08:15:00 am »
@elw:
- Does Windows Repair tell you what the name(s) is/are of the file(s) that are causing the trouble ?
- Did you clean out "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" & subfolders ? If not, then - for the time being - don't do it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:02:38 am »
- Does Windows Repair tell you what the name(s) is/are of the file(s) that are causing the trouble ?

Yes it will tell the names in the log of the scan. Thats why I want them to post it :-)

I think I might change the log to auto save in the next update, so users can just go grab it.

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:10:16 am »
Perhaps that file is still present in one of the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" subfolders and could be copied to the proper folder.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:14:28 am »
Possible but not likely. But I need to see what the files that are missing or corrupt are :-)

Shane

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 09:23:40 pm »
Hi Shane and Willy2,

Thanks for showing interest in this topic.  It's interesting that the Pre Repairs Scan states that you need to go to the forums to try and get a solution as to how to replace the missing files.  It would be useful if this information could be included in the program and/or with a link to an appropriate download site.

Anyway I have attached the log as suggested and requested by Shane and will see what the outcome may be.

Looking forward to a response and a solution hopefully.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 12:40:53 am »
- Did you have only ONE failed Update ? The error log suggests that more than one update failed !
- Did you run Windows Repair (Incl. "Repair Windows Update") after you noticed an Update failed ? If so, then do the following:
- Manually run Windows Update (follow the instructions) again. Do the updates MS recommends have the same names (KB ............ ) as the failed updates (see error log) ? If so then you can try to copy the missing files to the proper folder(s). Use a program called "Everything" (voidtools) to find those files.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 12:39:25 pm »
110 missing files from the packages folder. I am working on getting those files for you to put back.

The program knows the files are missing because they are listed in the registry, this is how updates know to look for those files.

So give me a bit, and I will get the files for you to restore :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 03:24:45 pm »
All done, that took me a while to find all those updates and grab the files. I think I will start saving these in case I need them in the furutre :-)

Extract all the files, then copy and paste them to
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages

If you get a permission denied error, then let me know, you will have to take ownership of that folder and I have an easy right click menu option to do that, and I will post that if you need it.

Once you replaced all the files, reboot and run the scan again and see if it is all good :-)

Shane

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 05:43:27 pm »
Shane. Have extracted the zip files you sent (thanks) but yes they do require permission to copy them.  Would appreciate you posting the right click menu option.

Willy2. Will wait to see if downloading the package files that Shane has sent me will solve the problem before I try your options.  Will also download and look at the Everything program you have suggested. Re number of failed updates I have only ever had the one so I don't understand why I should have 110 missing package files?  Have tried the Windows repair tool in the past, also SFCScannow and the DISM on line tools none of which did any good or repaired the missing or corrupt files.

A question to both of you.  What is the effect of missing so many package files as my computer still works OK?

And once agin many thanks for your efforts.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 06:15:23 pm »
Here you go, just run this reg file, then go to C:\Windows\servicing, then right click on Packages and you should see a take ownership command, click it, once it is done you should be able to paste those files in :wink:

Shane

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 12:23:48 am »
Hi Shane,

Have done everything as per your instructions and have attached an updated log which shows:
- there are now only 4 missing package files
- there are now 57 corrupt files with bad digital signatures
- there are still 3 incorrect reparse points
- there are now no environmental issues

I have done a SFC Scannow which indicated problem files and then did a Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup which was successful followed by a Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthwhich failed to repair corrupt files.

So there has been some success but not 100%.

One piece of good news is that the failed Windows update (KB2976978) that I was not able to update for months has now updated successfully.

Also my computer seems to work OK without any real problems so I don't understand what thes missing or corrupt files mean.  Are they significant?

Where to from here?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 05:58:43 am »
I think you can ignore the Bad Digital Signature ones, the cat file that goes with them has the signature, but if windows doesnt know to look at that file it will give that error, and since we just put those back on the system we can not worry about those.

On the 4 missing files, I had grabbed the wrong ones, so iw ill need to grab the correct 4 for you.

One piece of good news is that the failed Windows update (KB2976978) that I was not able to update for months has now updated successfully.

Also my computer seems to work OK without any real problems so I don't understand what thes missing or corrupt files mean.  Are they significant?

Any Windows update will check the packages files, and if it encounters an error it just bombs out, so what ever update had trouble finding the file it wanted then that update itself wont install. Which is why you could never get that update to install. but once we put back the files it was missing the update installed like it should. So you can see how that is important for updates, but it wont hurt the system itself, these files are manily when doing updates and changes, not to the current running services and such.

So you can see why I made this tool lol

there are still 3 incorrect reparse points

You can ignore those, I am working on v3.1.0 of the Windows repair for mondays release and I updated the scan to not worry about Default.migrated. I also built a new repair to help with the scans as well, just needs tested, so I got a beta together and gave it to a few testers and see what they think.

OK I grabbed the 4 files that are still missing and attached them, you know what to do with them :wink:

Shane

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 06:14:27 pm »
Shane,

Thanks for the four missing files.  Everything now OK except all those corrupt .mum files but you indicate that these are now really a problem (see attacghment for latest Pre Repairs Scan). 

Looking forward to the 3.1 update.

Once again thanks for all of your help I don't know how you manage the time to do all that you do for everyone.

Regards,

Erik

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 10:35:09 am »
I wonder if the api I call to check the signature of the files isnt seeing the .cat file for some reason. I will look into that and see if another file is needed.

Other than that you should be all good :-)

Shane

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 08:35:58 pm »
Hi Shane,

Just downloaded Windows Repair v. 3.1 (got the download from another similar forum link) and used the new Repair Reparse Points feature which worked fine.

Will now wait to see what developments you come up with re the corrupt Bad Digital SIgnature .mum files - "I wonder if the api I call to check the signature of the files isn't seeing the .cat file for some reason. I will look into that and see if another file is needed".

Regards,

Erik

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 01:41:44 pm »
Sounds good :-)

Just put out v3.1.0 today. And sometime this week I am going to see if I can trace down what else will be needed for restoring those files :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 02:44:44 pm »
I got an answer and got some working code done yesterday :-)

Windows has a .cat database it keeps. So when checking the .mum files it would pull the signature info from that database.

Well since we added the new .cat files to the folder, those cat files are not in the catalog database, so the windows api cant find what signature the .mum file is suppose to have and so says it is bad.

So I found the proper APIs to call to add a .cat file to the catalog database. I did a test run on my system and it worked great.

So I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet, I might keep it simple and add to the pre scan to auto add the cat files in the folder, but I want to see if I can make a more automated tool for restoring or replacing the files in that folder easier, and if I do that I can have it add the cat files again.

Through the process I also found that the catalog database can become corrupted and I found the repair commands for it, something I will be looking into and see about adding as another repair in a future update :-)

Shane

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 10:30:25 pm »
That sounds good news especially for all those that have got missing or corrupt files.

One thought - as you have now are able to repair the Reparse Points and the Environmental Variables it seems logical to be able to replace the missing package files (is that possible?) and then to address the corrupt .mum files (as you indicate) either as separate processes or both together if that's possible?  Can this be one stage or would it need to be two?  It would also be good to be able to obtain or replace any missing Package file via the program rather than having to seek your help via the forums?

Another thought - it seems that Peter might have got confused with the new Pre Scan tool thinking that it would repair automatically.  Changing the name (to Pre Scan as you have done would partly solve this I think - from a users point of view anyway).  But I wonder whether having the Pre Scan as a separate tool which includes two and soon presumbably, three repair options might not also be confusing as up until Version 3.0.0 the only repair options are contained in the one section (Repairs).  Why not include these Pre Scans and then the repairs under the Repairs section say at the beginning?  This is what is done under No. 29 "Repair Windows 8 Component Store" i.e Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

Finally is there any relationship between SFC /Scannow, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and Windows Package files, Reparse Points and Environmental variables (which are supposed to fix Windows Store corruptions) and the Pre Scan and repair options?

I hope you don't mind me continuing with this feed but I am interested in the process; however I do not understand computer programming.  That's why I think you made the Windows Repairs program for people like me.

Regards,

Erik

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 01:36:35 pm »
I am going to be working on a repair tool for the cat and mum files. It means I will have to have the files on my server so the program can download them, but it would take most of the work out of the users hands, then if some files are not on the server they can let me know, I upload the files and then they just the scan again.

When I first made the pre scan tool I didnt have any repair options for it. But then I realized I had better make something or it is going to be a pain to answer so many forum posts to help with it.

So right now they are separate tools for one reason, they are not fully automated. I didnt make them fully automated (Yet anyways) because of all the different variables out there I am not sure yet if having it on full auto is a good idea. BUT, after a little time goes by and I find that they can safely be ran on full auto then I will change them to just auto repair after the scan is done. That way the users donest have to do much at all.

It is just for right now they are brand new repairs, and so I need more time and testing to see how they do before I put them on autopilot lol

Finally is there any relationship between SFC /Scannow, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and Windows Package files, Reparse Points and Environmental variables (which are supposed to fix Windows Store corruptions) and the Pre Scan and repair options?

The package files, are read and used by Windows updates, the options features in the add/remove programs sections and in the sfc scan and dism.

But the way MS has done it is if there is a single error then it will just bomb out and not move forward. So this is why the features list will show up blank, or an update will refuse to install. All because it couldnt read one of those files. I did some testing where I removed a missing file from the registry so windows wouldnt think to look at it and the updates installed fine.

And why the optional features wouldnt just skip the one that gives and error and move on I dont know. But I found that the packages folder plays a big freaking roll in it all and the sfc doesnt even scan that folder!

So I made a tool to do it instead. The replacing of the cat and mum files is what the system readiness tool from MS does, but you dont have to download a 500 MB file with my tool lol

Here is an example of that
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Shane

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 05:55:24 pm »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for putting me in the picture - much appreciated. :smiley:

I won't bother you any more as I know you are busy with other people's issues but I will look forward to further developments in the program.

Regards,

Erik