Author Topic: Windows packages errors -- SOLVED  (Read 8844 times)

Offline blue3104

• View Profile
Windows packages errors -- SOLVED
« on: April 03, 2015, 05:38:58 am »
I used MS Support(paid version) to help me get my computer running again.  In the process they went to the AMD site and downloaded and installed my video drivers.  Now when I do the prescan I get windows Package errors.  See the attached log file.  Can you help me repair this. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:18:04 am by blue3104 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows packages errors
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:11:26 pm »
In order to get the digital signature of a .mum file or any file that doesnt have a signature on it, the system uses cat files, which are catalog files of the sha1 hash of the files, so it can check if the file has been changed at all.

Windows keeps a database of all the catalog files, from the looks of it what ever they did on the system must have messed up the catalog database, or somehow all those mum files are bad or have been changed.

That was about a list of 800 files, I would say it is most likely a problem with the catalog database.

I have a tool I am making that can add cat files back to the database. I am gone for the weekend so hit me up Monday and I will get a tool over to you to register those cat files again and see if it fixes it :-)

Shane

Offline blue3104

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 05:11:04 am »
I don't know if these errors will cause a problem or not.  Do you think it would be wise to try to eliminate them using your tool?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:09:10 pm »
There is no harm in having the catalog files back in the database. And some, if not all, updates do make sure that files pass their digital signature or else the update will just fail out.

Mondays are slammed for me, but I could have the tool ready for you to use by tomorrow if you want to send me a reminder post tomorrow :-)

Shane

Offline blue3104

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:06:17 am »
Ok, I am reminding you.  I had a busy, rough day yesterday also.  Internet down, Phone service down, plugged sanitary drain.  Hope today is better for both of us.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:35:18 am »
Ok, so here is what I did.

I dont have the new repair tool I am making for the package files done yet, its a lot of work. BUT I did finish the code to add the cat files back to the catalog database.

So I just put out Windows Repair v3.1.2.

Go grab it, and then open the Pre-Scan tool. There you will see a new check box to add the .cat files. Put a check on it and then run the pre-scan. The scan will be slow, because now when it goes through the packages files it will add all the .cat files it finds to the database.

Let me know how the scan looks after that and lets see if that fixes some, hopefully all, of the bad signature mum files :-)

Shane

Offline blue3104

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:22:45 pm »
Good Job. It works just like you wanted.  Thanks  :cheesy:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 01:46:42 pm »