Author Topic: Keyboard and Internet gone after messing with the Registry  (Read 6464 times)

Offline lonrot

• View Profile
Keyboard and Internet gone after messing with the Registry
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:16:07 am »
I installed a (clean not malware) program in Windows 8.1 using the Trace feature in Revo Uninstaller, when I uninstalled the program in Revo it also screwed the Internet and my Keyboard.

Keyboard:
I plugged 3 different USB keyboards, non of them works. Even the mouse in the Logitech keyboard/mouse wireless combo works but the keyboard remains undetected. The trackpad also works in a USB keyboard for laptops but not the keyboard itself.

At first the "HID Keyboard" driver showed with an error icon in the device manager, I updated the driver picking the same in the compatibility list and it successfully reinstalled, now it no longer appears as faulty or shows at all when connecting the keyboard. The alert sound plays when plugging/unplugging, but nothing else happens.

Internet:
There is no internet through Wired LAN or Wifi, the device drivers are good and show as active in the Network Connections window but the bottom right icon reports "Limited Connection".

At first the Network Connections window was empty, so I deleted the config key in the registry. Now the Network Adapters are back but no internet is accesible.

If CMD Admin ipconfig /release
Return: The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissbile for this operation.

If ipconfig /all
Return:

Troubleshooting:
  • System Restore fails every time after rebooting: "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed."  This started to happen after migrating my Windows partition in the past.
  • The Recovery Drive wizard says: "We can't create a recovery drive" Some required fields are missing.
  • Booting a Recovery Drive created by another Windows 8.1 computer returns: "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows Installation to restore. Restart this computer select an operating system, and then select system restore."
  • SFC Scannow: No issues detected.
  • CHKDSK: No issues detected.
  • The Windows installation is missing from the msconfig boot tab and safe boot is locked/disabled.

Windows Repair All In One:
  • Ran all the repairs checked by default, restarted and the issue is still ongoing.
  • Pre-Scan detected these bad reparse points, fixed them, restarted an now no issues are found.

At this point I simply want to get the keyboard and internet back, a reinstall is too time consuming for all the software and documents I'm working on.

Screenshot:

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:38:40 pm by lonrot »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard and Internet gone after messing with the Registry
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:46:09 pm »
Under network adapters uninstall each one with a yellow ! on it. (If you are able to that is) and then for the mouse and keyboard, remove all the hids listed there, odd there is so many listed, uninstall each of them, again if you are able and from safe mode if you can.

Something got messed up in the registry, and by uninstalling the devices, when windows gos to put them back in the registry will normally get updated and most of the time fix it. Simply adding a driver to it wont work, because it needs to be uninstalled first so windows will start fresh with it :wink:

Shane

Offline lonrot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:52:57 pm »
Thank you Shane, I ended up reinstalling Windows. It simply had too many issues after migrating, including hibernation issues and now the registry.

Great tool and amazing support  :wink:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:12:35 am »
Sometimes a reinstall is the only option :-)

Shane