Author Topic: Missing/corrupted files cannot be repaired or replaced  (Read 8518 times)

Offline Texan2000

• View Profile
Missing/corrupted files cannot be repaired or replaced
« on: June 17, 2015, 06:50:44 am »
This began with the audio not working (0x800706cc). The HP Laptop running Win 8.1x64.  The computer is really sluggish. Ran tweaking according to the instructions even running the safemode.bat file supplied here.  It repaired the audio problem that had been caused by AVG I believe. I removed AVG and now running Win Defender.  When I tried running Tweaking again it said it could not run because of 20 missing/corrupt files.  (see the 3 .PNG pics below) and I ran SFC /scannow from cmd prompt (see CBS.log below). It stated it could not repair some files, tried running the built in HP recovery but it said it could not repair (no changes made). I do not have Win 8.1 media.  I am at a loss as how to proceed from here.  Any ideas?  Also IE 11 was not working and I went into Windows Features and "unchecked" it and rebooted, went back in to check it but it did not activate IE as a feature but the box is still checked.  Having trouble saving "file too large",  Will convert and re-size .png files.  Also it is saying that just the CBS.log is too large.  Can I get an exception?  I don't think zipping the CBS log file will make it small enough

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Missing/corrupted files cannot be repaired or replaced
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 07:05:33 am »
You can copy & paste a cut down version of the CBS log with the elevated command -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will put an icon onto the desktop which will open in Notepad and that may post "verbatim" with a copy & paste.

Depending upon which version of Win 8.1 you are running, this article will help you create a Win 8.1 bootable ISO https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:08:36 am by Boggin »

Offline Texan2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:25:44 am »
Here is the file of the SFC CBS log, unless you wanted it cut and paste in this body,

Offline Texan2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:28:45 am »
Trying the jpg  files of the Tweaking error and a list of the 20 files

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:47:14 am »
That CBS log post was fine to view although I don't profess to know what they mean.

Try these commands from a Command Prompt (Admin) to see what that reports and if it's successful, redo the sfc /scannow to see if it still reports file corruption.

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth (this one should say if it's repairable)

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (this one should carry out the repairs - hopefully)

Offline Texan2000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:19:18 am »
Sorry guys and gals had an emergency come up.  Will be back next week for more of your wonderful advice.  Thanks a bunch, post to you L8tr

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 04:33:31 am »
My program checks for any of the files in its folder if they are missing or changed, this is becauseif they are missing then the repairs could get messed up and make things worse, in this case something removed multiple files from my programs folder, it might have been avg or something else, just reinstall the program and it will put the files back, let me know if they still come up missing, if so then something on your system is removing those files.

Shane