Author Topic: Desktop migration: XP to Windows 10 - power management issues  (Read 9798 times)

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
Desktop migration: XP to Windows 10 - power management issues
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:52:27 am »
Hi Shane,  I finally bit the bullet and did a clean install of Windows 10.  Everything works quite nicely except that when I elect to shutdown the computer, it goes to sleep instead and neither the keyboard or mouse will wake it.  I can shut down after the hard drive shuts off by using the power button, and I can awaken things using the reset button, but it is quite annoying.  I have allowed both the keyboard and mouse to awaken from Sleep in the BIOS, but it has no effect.  Power settings are correct...power button is set to shutdown.  I have one Service that often won't restart after awakening from sleep, but works fine of course when awakening from Hibernation.  I may elect to have the system never sleep, and to Hibernate after some reasonable amount of time.  Seems to be quite a few folks having the issue, but little documentation of confirmed fixes.  There is a very new NVIDIA driver for 10 that I installed, and their drivers were mentioned as a possible cause,but the issue predates that so it is not a likely culprit.  The new driver addressed some issues that I had with the prior version on XP quite nicely.  What are the possible effects of doing a hard shutdown from either the Sleep or Hibernation state?  I have an MSI H55M-E33 board that lacks a Secure Boot functionality.  Like many board makers, they do not officially support Windows 10 installations, even though the board is only several years old.  I have also noticed that with both 8.1 and 10 that Icon corruption is at least a weekly issue.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop migration: XP to Windows 10 - power management issues
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »
hmmmm open cmd in an elevated cmd prompt and type in
Code: [Select]
powercfg -a It will show you what sleep states you can use now depending on what that command spits out you can change your bios to the setting it will accept. okay now for your question on hard reset during sleep and hibernation. hibernation is not recommended for computers that are not portable ex: not a laptop or tablet. the way hibernation works is it cache's everything to the disk so when you power it on it will resume windows where you left off but it is slower than other sleep states at resuming. now sleep mode will have everything stored to the RAM and knocks your computer out cold using minimal power. now there is another sleep option called hybrid sleep it puts your computer into sleep mode and knocks it out cold using minimal power and everything is stored in the ram but in the hyberfil.sys file as well so if you lose power to the machine while it's in sleep mode it will resume as if it was hibernating. the normal sleep mode if it was sleeping and lost power then anything open it would lose unsaved progress or possibly corrupt those files. I want to see if you have S3 that the sleep mode we are looking for.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:39:50 pm by Julian »
Julian

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 04:54:25 am »
Julian, This BIOS can be set for either S3 or S1, and is currently set to S1.  I have also set it to wake with both the keyboard and the mouse, but to no effect.  The more research I do on this, it seems that on slightly older hardware with Legacy BIOS, Windows 10 just behaves this way.  I found some info that indicated possible solutions, but none of them apply in my case.  A new Intel Management Interface Driver has been implicated, but only on Intel boards in HP machines.  Information from Microsoft on shutdown procedures indicates using the Power button after shutting down the OS, so it may be something I have to live with having this Motherboard and BIOS.  I thought of a third Party BIOS, but it makes me a bit nervous. Having set things to display ongoing processes during start up and shutdown, I can verify that the system is shutting down...it's just that the power light and fans continue to run until I use the Power button on the tower.  Perhaps the OS won't interface with the ACPI in this older BIOS.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:39:27 am »
Set bios to s3
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 11:40:50 am »
After you set it to s3 put your comp to sleep
Julian

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:12:14 pm »
Julian,  Did that, rebooted and placed into Sleep...again, Sleeps like a log but won't awaken with any inputs...and this time not even the reset button on the tower.  Had to do a hard kill...(ouch).  Think I will change it back and consider unchecking Fast Startup.  I suspect the BIOS isn't fully compatible with Windows 10, but I can live with it.  I am however compelled to find out why...lol!  At least with Fast Startup disabled and S1 in place, the Reset button brings things back up. I attached a screenshot of the Command Prompt.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:45:04 pm »
Usb mouse and keyboard? If so put them in another usb port
Julian

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 04:47:00 am »
Julian,  Wired Mouse and Keyboard.  I went back to the S1 setting and can again wake the machine from the reset button, so for the moment I can live with that. I have attached a screenshot of the Command Prompt info at this setting.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:49:13 pm »
Sorry I was gone so long, any update on this or are you all good to go? I am trying to catch up on over 100 threads since I have been gone the last 3 weeks, so i am reading over things fast, so sorry if I missed something lol

Shane

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 05:39:49 am »
Hi Shane,

I did manage through the Group Policy Editor to have it not ask for a password on waking.  I did find out that MSI is working on a new BIOS for the board to better suit Windows 10.  Apparently the issue is widespread with a whole host of causes attributed to it, none of which applies to my machine.  I am guessing the OS/BIOS combo to be the issue, but cannot be sure.  The only other odd thing is that the laptop can access the desktop files via simple file sharing quite nicely, but not the other way around.  Both Windows 10 with identical sharing settings...I'll figure it out eventually.  In the meantime, it works.  It was rather stunning to see what a 64 bit system will do with the 8 GB of RAM that have been in here for all this time...:)