Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Build 9600 Issue  (Read 5846 times)

Offline tcayer

• View Profile
Windows 8.1 Build 9600 Issue
« on: October 23, 2015, 01:46:27 pm »
OK, so my father-in-law has a PC. When he starts it up, the desktop opens to a clean wallpaper (not his normal desktop) and blinks. You are not able to do anything. I restarted in safe mode, and got the error "Explorer.exe - System Warning  Unknown Hard Error" If you click "ok" it just pops up again. Nothing else works. I was able tgo use ctrl-alt-del to get to task manager and tried several things (clean boot, etc.) I was able to download and use the repair tool here, but get to the point where it says "repair did not start for over 30 seconds" and nothing happens. I tried booting from a windows restore boot cd, but have no backup image on his PC. Disabled a couple of items via MSCONFIG, and got the flashing to stop and boot to a normal screen, but still have the pop up error and unable to run anything. PLEASE HELP!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 Build 9600 Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 03:40:59 pm »
From what you've described, I'm not sure if you will be able to effect these steps http://mywindowshub.com/fix-explorer-exe-unknown-hard-error-in-windows-8-1/ but you could try the sfc /scannow as an offboot sfc /scannow providing you have a bootable Win 8.1 install disk and if that gets you back in, then you should be able to get into the registry to effect the other steps.

This article has steps in it for creating such a disk https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html and this one walks you through the offboot sfc /scannow http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-run-the-sfc-scannow-command-if-windows-8-1-does-not-boot/

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 Build 9600 Issue
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 07:38:42 pm »
OK, so my father-in-law has a PC. When he starts it up, the desktop opens to a clean wallpaper (not his normal desktop) and blinks. You are not able to do anything. I restarted in safe mode, and got the error "Explorer.exe - System Warning  Unknown Hard Error" If you click "ok" it just pops up again. Nothing else works. I was able tgo use ctrl-alt-del to get to task manager and tried several things (clean boot, etc.) I was able to download and use the repair tool here, but get to the point where it says "repair did not start for over 30 seconds" and nothing happens. I tried booting from a windows restore boot cd, but have no backup image on his PC. Disabled a couple of items via MSCONFIG, and got the flashing to stop and boot to a normal screen, but still have the pop up error and unable to run anything. PLEASE HELP!
hmm sounds like ntuser.dat is corrupted. can you run any other users? or try this make a new user account make that user an administrator log in to that user and open cmd with admin privs and type in chkdsk /f /r let it reboot and run the checkdisk after that you can log into that admin again and go to event viewer you should find the chkdsk results copy those results and paste them on here
Julian