Author Topic: Strange error message doesn't allow software download  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Strange error message doesn't allow software download
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »
Everytime I try to load the link to Logitech's Myharmony, so that I can update my remote control I get this strange error message.  Not only do I not understand what it means I can't see any reference on the Logitech site/forums.

Any ideas as to what is the problem?

Value does not fall within the expected range.
   at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IEnumSTORE_ASSEMBLY.Next(UInt32 celt, STORE_ASSEMBLY[] rgelt)
   at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreAssemblyEnumeration.MoveNext()
   at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.CollectCrossGroupApplications(Uri codebaseUri, DefinitionIdentity deploymentIdentity, Boolean& identityGroupFound, Boolean& locationGroupFound, String& identityGroupProductName)
   at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
   at System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentManager.SynchronizeCore(Boolean blocking)
   at System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentManager.SynchronizeAsyncWorker()
Thanks in advance

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Strange error message doesn't allow software download
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:07:40 am »
Those are .net errors.

This normally means that the .net runtimes on the system are messed up. Normally when that happens I use a tool on ms website that can yank out and remove all the versions of .net, then once they are all gone I reboot and install them fresh. normally does the trick.

But that is if it is the runtimes that are doing it. Sometimes a .net program can be made that it doesnt handle the errors very well and say there is something the program isnt expecting, then you get an error. As an example I just searched for the first part of the error and found other .net programs with it
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-us/1082e2f8-fab1-4d32-8c54-13fc396e8cfc/deployment-error-again

Shane

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:47:27 pm »
I'm struggling a bit to understand all of this but if I'm correct this might be part of Microsoft Net Framework.  I can see version 4.5.2 is installed.  Might it help if I were to delete this file & download it again from Microsoft or is this apt to do more damage?
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 12:45:10 am »
You can do that but first try right clicking on v4.5.2 and click on Change where the Repair window will come up and see what that reports or if it makes any difference.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 04:55:56 pm »
I tried the repair idea that you suggested but I never saw it report a problem.  I wonder if it part of a problem that I now have with Chrome which stopped working as well.  I installed Firefox as a substitute.  I uninstalled Chrome, did a bit of cleanup before downloading Chrome again.  But it still won't run.  It says that there is a problem but doesn't say what.  I downloaded Chrome portable to USB but that didn't work either.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:14:13 pm »
I'm not a Chrome user so don't know its foibles but would have thought that uninstalling/reinstalling would have given you a fresh version, unless the offending bits remained in the registry.

You could try the free Anvi Browser Repair Tool http://www.anvisoft.com/browser-repair-tool.html and if you click on the Chrome icon in the left pane, you will see what it will reset.

These steps go a bit deeper should that not do it http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Google-Chrome