Author Topic: Update to Windows 10 nightmare  (Read 23689 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Update to Windows 10 nightmare
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:46:54 pm »
I downloaded the update to Windows 10 a couple of months back but didn't try installing it because my PC had a couple of problems that weren't getting resolved & because I wanted to get every thing cleaned up first.  The issues were USB connections weren't working,audio was having problem & some programs would not install.

Since the programs weren't resolved I tried Tweaking program but this hadn't helped.

I was on verge of trying the update for Windows which I had sitting on the PC but not installed when I heard that I could do a 'clean install' if I download an iso file & put it on a DVD.  I selected my version,Pro,64 bit,burnt it & verified it but it would not install because it said that it was the wrong version for my machine.  I felt that I hadn't made a mistake when selecting which file to download. I now have a second DVD with it on.  I used Explorer to look at files on disk.  Both have the exact same number of files & folders but slightly different file size totals.

I friend was here at this time & he suggested that I just install what I had already had downloaded. We tried this & it appeared to be going OK then said that I had a problem & needed to install another update,which would be in addition to the 13 that had been automatically updated earlier in the same day. 

It then appeared that the big update was being installed, it rebooted & I still had Windows 7 64 bit, along with a message that a paging file could not be found.  This might be because I think it was on another drive which I had disconnected because I wanted to ensure that Windows would only be on my SSD 'C' drive.

Then up pops the Windows 10 update flag on the taskbar suggesting that I DOWNLOAD & INSTALL the update, which I had already had twice along with 2 files as ISO file.

I  now have 2 ISO files on DVD's along with 2 copies of the update file.These things seem to be just going around in circles.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is there anyway to get the Windows update notice on taskbar to see the downloaded file or even better to get it to do a 'clean install' from the DVD I now have?  Is it time to take PC to the shop?

Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Re: Update to Windows 10 nightmare
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:57:51 pm »
I noticed that you have a new version of the tool that looks at Windows 10 & permissions so I downloaded & installed the new version.  I ran the permissions section only as administrator after turning anti virus off.

I used the DVD I had burned with the iso file & tried running it.  I wanted to do I clean install so as to try to put 100% of problem behind me.  The update suggested that it would be better if more updates were done first.  This was done & then it started the install.  I choose the keep nothing option since I presume this must be done if you want a clean install.

The install failed but no reason was given so I have no error number to check out.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:57:05 am »
While you still have Win 7, create a full external system image.

Did you run the compatibility check from the upgrade icon in the system tray ?

While the original check was just the basic one, some Win 7 machines don't have compatible graphics because the vendor hasn't provided Win 10 drivers and there may be other incompatibles.

If you have parts of Win 7 on another drive, it's possible that could be the reason for the fail as it is unable to upgrade from a full system, but not sure why the clean install should fail as you can do that now without having to use the upgrade option first.

The inclusion of Threshold 2 is more for activation, but I would think if you are trying a clean install with an older version of the ISO, the older rules may apply where you would have to go the upgrade route first and it now requires Threshold 2 which could be the update it is looking for.

Did you download the ISO pre-Threshold 2 ?

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:00:09 pm »
I did create the full system image along with the repair start up disk.

When I click on the Windows update icon on the taskbar the first thing it says that my system is comparable.

I doubt that any part of Windows 7 is on a separate drive.  I had always kept my SSD 'C' drive exclusively fro programs & kept a second drive in case just for data which was mainly music, photos & video.

Before I started the update I disconnected the this second drive just to ensure that Windows didn't try to install in the wrong location.  I have since reconnected the drive but the update still doesn't run.

I don't understand what you mean my Threshold 2.  I suppose that I could try downloading the entire for a fourth time but feel that its unlikely to help.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 05:14:17 pm »
Threshold 2 is the big Win 10 update that everyone has been waiting for and is included in the latest update waiting to be installed and I have hidden.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586

Download size: 2,613.7 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Install the next version of Windows.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=507415

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=507417

This is what you could get when you try the Media Creation Tool to create an updated ISO.

I clicked on the Get Started button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade but it was wanting to download GWX so I stopped it as I've tried Win 10 and it didn't like my machine and I didn't like it.

You could give it a try to see where it takes you and may actually do it for you if you don't fancy sitting through another ISO download, but you may eventually need one if you want to try the clean install again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 02:53:53 am »
If that hasn't worked out for you then try https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

From research, this version includes Threshold 2 and lower down, you also get the option to create the ISO.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 03:15:00 pm »
When doing the windows 10 upgrade and you tell it to keep nothing it shouldnt fail unless it had trouble reading one of the files it needed.

Microsoft has updated their iso files to the newest version and so it would be a good idea to grab the iso and then you can put it on a usb or burn it to a dvd-r and run the setup from it.

Next major update is going to be some time next year they say. Considering the nightmare upgrades are to do, I dont know if I am a fan on a upgrade install every time they release a major version. :wink:

Shane

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:31:42 pm »
I just realized that I might have inadvertently caused the failure of the update.  I was told that I should put the disk with the iso file into the burner 7 then click the .exe file.  This is what I did & this failed.

Maybe I should have changed the BIOS first to set Windows to boot from the DVD first.  Could this be the cause of the problem or is this just making things worse or if I'm on correct track would there be anything extra to do when taking this course of action?

I might add that the DVD was a + disk not the older - type.  Mind you I have never had a problem playing or recording either type. I have both a DVD burner & a Blu-ray to choose from.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 03:42:52 pm »
See if that last link I've posted will do it for you and then you can create an ISO of the newer version as well.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »
If I get that link do I run it from BIOS or just click .exe file?
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:42:25 am »
Forget about the install disk for the moment and just click on the Upgrade now button.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I can't run through it myself to see its procedure as I would normally do before posting, because I don't want Win 10 on here.

To do a clean install with the disk you would have to change the boot order for it to boot from the install disk first and you can use the COA sticker key to activate it.

The link gives you instructions for doing a clean install, but try the Update now button first.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 12:11:57 am »
Well I have been through the entire routine yet again.  Clicking the link shown above & just trying to do any install even though I want to really would prefer to do 'clean install'.

I have had all of the same messages as before.  It's downloading, something you should check before we proceed, the download, install the huge wait when its says its installing & the reboot that takes be back to where I starts asking If I wanted to do the Windows update to version 10, along with the message that its now failed 4 times but doesn't say why.  Everything is there as before except for it saying where to send the bill for all of my wasted time.  It must be a conspiracy to get you to waste all of your download quotas.  I have a friend who has the exact same problem & the  shop has had his PC for 4 days already & can't get it installed.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 01:32:13 am »
So has the clean install failed as well ?

The article also walks you through that.

If it won't install at all then I think it would be best if you contacted MS where most likely their 2nd line will call you back and link up to your machine and if you get someone who knows what they are doing - and they must have had plenty of practice at this problem by now :) they may find what is the cause.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 02:45:30 am »
I just realized that I never gave an update about this problem.  Well there is both good news and bad news.  The good news is that I finally have Windows 10 installed but to get it done I had to take it to a PC repair shop to have this happen. 

The bad news is that I'm having problems with USB.  I have a 2TB Western Digital Ultra passport drive which Windows acknowledges as a drive but nowhere else on the PC can it be seen. Click on the drive an asking to view properties just gives you about a 5 minute wait before it say parameters are wrong.  It can't be found in devise manager either.  But I'm not alone a quick search of net suggests hundreds of people have the same problem.  Some says that it still works in Windows 7 & that you could copy data off of it, format again & reload data.  But I can't see how that could be done if it can't be seen to be formatted.  Others think that it occurred because they had deleted the special software that comes pre installed.  It appears that WD may have given up on the problem & assigned it to the too hard basket.

Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 03:32:48 am »
Nice to see you finally got upgraded to Win 10 :)

Does AutoPlay come up when you plug it in ?

This article should help you to configure that http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-customize-autoplay-defaults-windows-10

If you can see the disk in Disk Management then you can format it from there by right clicking on it and select the options in how you want to format it.

I did a full format on a new Seagate 1TB external HDD and that took 18 hours, so the Quick format may be more applicable, but the full will do a more thorough job - but obviously, you would need to copy the data off it first.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:51:12 am by Boggin »

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 04:00:06 am »
Autoplay doesn't come up.  I have opened it &  set it to always ask for ever type of content but it has never opened.  I'm trying not to format drive since I don't want to loose whats on it.  The drive is 1 year into 3 year warranty.  I know that I could swap it for another but why should I loose all my data & perhaps get another one that has the same problem, especially since the data isn't critical at the moment?
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 04:17:37 am »
Can you see it in Disk Management and is it using its own drive letter or the same as another USB device you have had plugged in ?

Changing the drive letter to something well into the alphabet from what it is could negate any confusion.

If you can see it in Disk Management - right click on it and select Open - what happens ?

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 04:32:04 am »
It doesn't appear in disk management at all. At moment I can't do anything at all.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 04:50:29 am »
So where are you clicking on it to select Properties ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 05:00:50 am »
Something else to try -

With the HDD plugged in, boot up into the BIOS and under the Boot tab is it listed ?

Also, under the Advanced tab is USB Legacy set to Enabled ?

I'm going to have to shove off for a while as it's lunchtime here in the UK and then I have to go out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:02:28 am by Boggin »

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 05:04:24 am »
The only place you ever see it is in "This PC"   It appears here only until you select it to try to see the properties which causes machine to lock up for about 5 minutes until the message that the parameters are wrong.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 05:07:07 am »
If none of my previous post applies, can you download separate drivers for it or is there a firmware update for it like Seagate has for their HDDs ?

Does an USB Flash drive show up when you plug it in ?

Really gotta go now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:09:21 am by Boggin »

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 06:20:33 pm »
Any USB flash drive that I plug in appears on the list as do other older passport drives.  When the drive in question appears on list the the Total Size & free space show nothing.

If I go into BIOS & select boot menu I have about 8  choices & I have tried 2 with the same result that the light on the problem drive just flashes its light & nothing happens no matter how long I wait.  If I then unplug drive Windows boots up.

I looked in event logger in Windows & items are listed there.  It offers to look up problem Web but when the browser opens it says that it can't find the page.

If I go to device manager & select disk management the page won't display.  It just hangs until I unplug the drive.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 01:46:39 am »
When you see the HDD in This PC run a command prompt as an administrator and enter chkdsk h: /x where h is the drive letter and see if that will run.

/x while forcing a dismount, also implies /f but the report should show if there are any bad sectors without the risk of losing data by using a /r switch when chkdsk tries to repair the disk.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 11:45:01 pm »
It's many years since I went anywhere new a cmd line. I have tried doing it a few times but nothing happens other than a message sawing I go the syntex wrong. I don't think I'm typing it incorrectly but I'll wait until a friend comes over to check that I'm doing it correctly.

I seem to recall that a complete scan was done a few months back & no problems were found.  But then this might be like other Windows 10 problems like many other people myself included who can get autoplay to work either.  I think that there may be USB issues in general since a couple of time I have put in a USB stick & it says to check it for errors & fix them if possible.  I let it proceed & when its finished it says that there were no errors.  Bizarre
Thanks in advance