Author Topic: I can't upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7  (Read 6949 times)

Offline williab3

• View Profile
I can't upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7
« on: December 17, 2015, 04:36:58 am »

I have the tweaking's windows repair pro version. I have been trying to upgrade my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 for 3 days straight. The first thing I did was click on the Windows upgrade icon in my task bar. My computer downloads the upgrade and goes to restart. Upon reboot my computer begins to install the upgrade. When it gets %86 percent done the computer reboots again back to Windows 7.
In my Control Panel's section for Windows Update history I find error code 80004005 and C1900208.
This is a list of the things I have tried so far:

1)   Running tweaking's Window repair in safe mode after a full system virus scan
2)   Downloading and running the Windows Update diagnostic repair utility
3)   Downloading and running Windows update agent
4)   I tried upgrading using the Windows 10 Creation Tool
a)   When I tried upgrading from a Flash drive option I get the “Something happened” error
b)   When I try the update right now I get the “something happened” error
5)   Preventing all unnecessary services from starting up by accessing the system configuration.
6)   I have tried manually resetting Windows Update components.
It’s been 3 days I am mentally exhausted so I may have forgotten a few things. I have also attached my update log. Can anyone help?
 :sleep:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: I can't upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:22:02 am »
Did you try by temporarily stopping the antivirus. But, there are fixes in microsoft for install errors. Just see that yours is there. I find error no. matches, but do not know the kb match. See this link. Do not download anything from other sites except microsoft.

The link is here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-install-and-upgrade-top-solutions/a59d8a6a-18da-417b-93a6-7b6ab4d03896

N.B: i will advise you to thoroughly check your computer requirements before attempting to upgrade. If it is older computer , then there will be problem of exact drivers and all that.
But, in the given link there are fix by microsoft for peculiar error codes, which also match with your error code
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:29:04 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 02:56:07 pm »
hmmm that's weird that's a permission error I think... lets see do you have UAC disabled when running windows update and are you logged in as an administrator?
Another thing you can try is enable the root account of windows

At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press Enter.

Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press Enter.

Note In this command, <Password> represents the actual password that you want to set for the administrator account.

Type exit, and then press Enter.

Log off the current user account.

Now try to run windows update with that user.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 02:59:18 pm »
You seem to have done the things MS recommend for error code 80004005 which don't always work but a Google for the C1900208 error suggests that the install isn't quite ready and it was an incomplete install, which is why it failed although that shouldn't have been the case after trying with the ISO on an USB.

Go C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything in that folder then go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter  wuaucit.exe /updatenow

Then you can either go to Windows Updates and see if it will install or use the Upgrade now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Offline williab3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:51:36 pm »
Quick Update. I ended up making a system image of my drive and reinstalling Windows 7. (all of this is because I thought that I needed Windows 10 to resolve project errors in Visual studio). I was able to get to Windows 10 only to realize that the system image I made in Windows 7 could not be loaded in Windows 10 and the project erroes I had with Visual Studio were still there. I tried to re image my system back to Windows 7 to get my data but I received an error saying that my image was not compatible with my system because the image was made in EFI and my system was now Bios. I tried to fix that but ended up making it so that Windows could not see either of my hard drives during install. That last problem was caused by a crappy Asus motherboard. I was able to fix the hard drive problem and get a new install of Windows 7 back (still not able to retrieve my original data. I figure I will just get that later. I would see if I could resolve the issue with Visual Studio in Windows 7 but 90 percent of my Windows Updates have failed. Needless to say I may end up opening a new thread.   :cry:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:19:49 am »
You could have a go at this if you fancy changing back from BIOS to UEFI.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx

For the rest, create another system image, run the Windows Repair program and then if still problems, open your new thread.