Author Topic: PC wont open now with Windows 10  (Read 8973 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
PC wont open now with Windows 10
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:11:39 pm »
My PC had had done some sort of update & when it rebooted I had message in middle of screen that the RPC server was down and in botton right it said I had no Internet connection.   I am typing this on a tablet since my modom is woking.

The screen displayed my photo and name and asked for a password.  What sort of password I do not know so I tried the one for ISP & Google etc but none worked.  If I do nothing at all machine eventually reboots and I go around in that circle again.

I cant get into safe mode so I cant do a system restore.  Under the password box it suggests resettin using a USB stick but when I try it says that this isnt suitable.

How do I get into PC?
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PC wont open now with Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:10:49 am »
Did you create a Microsoft Account and password ?

Did you create the Win 10 bootable disk with the Media Creation Tool which you could try booting up with.

If you didn't, do you know any other Win 10 users who have or could create the disk for you.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 02:19:27 am »
I never created a Microsoft account.  Why would anyone want one for a company which seldom ever gets anything right?

I never created the USB  bootup disk because I didn't expect to need one since I had clean install & already was trying to to get a reset update to work. A friend put the file onto my stick but first attempt to get it to work didn't work but I will try again later.

I  do have a clone of my 'c' drive but am loath to use it because to do so once again would mean than all of the extra work I have done since clean install is as worthless as the reset reinstall.

Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 02:22:32 am »
Is the clone of your previous OS ?

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 02:36:35 am »
The clean install was done in a PC shop.  The first few days were ok so I made a clone. Then things started to go wrong and a reset install was recommended and this is what I tried but things still went downhill.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 02:43:18 am »
Can you see if your friend will stick the latest version of Win 10 onto your USB stick and give that a try as you may have to perform a fresh install.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 11:08:39 pm »
The PC has been back to the PC shop for a second time and appears to be behaving better than before.  I'm reinstalling all software for a third time.  At least this time all of the downloads have been kept on a separate drive along with their key numbers which have also been uploaded to Dropbox.

Thanks for all of the suggestons
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:38:22 am »
Hopefully this time the install will stick :)

Given the volatility of Win 10 because of all the updates MS are shoving into it, I think people should hang on until it is no longer a Beta OS, although we only hear about those having problems with Win 10 and not those who have no problems at all.

While Win 8.0 turned out to be a dog, Win 8.1 proved more successful and Win 7 only received one SP, although MS had the experience of Vista to produce Win 7 - Win 10's service packs seem to be never ending, so you could have more heartache to follow.

Just ensure System Protection is turned on before each set of updates and create manual restore points, as System Protection is default turned off in Win 10 and can be subsequently turned off after updates - so perhaps the answer is to create system images when things are good.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »
everyday I see more and more windows 10 issue's. I hate how Microsoft made it a forced beta to everyone and sneakily stuck that update so the naive user would download it. Windows 10 will be the best OS version. Faster than any OS I've seen just so many bug's! It's still windows 10 preview in my honest opinion.  The major update to windows 10 that crippled it was this one. http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3971.0.html Shane had to make his program skip that command if it detected "Windows 10 (1511)" 
Julian

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 05:34:10 pm »
I have just done a restore point & downloaded EaseUs software to make a 'clone of my 'c' drive.  I have been given an external USB3 caddy that take both sata & ssd drives vertically & will try using this.  I'm told that I can partition the target HDD & put the clone in one partition & a backup onto the other, although I wonder if both on the same HDD may be a step too far. 

If this is OK then this would be ideal as I have a second old drive that I could do this as well.

If this is OK I could create a clone & a backup onto alternative HDD's & hopefully keep everything up to date that way. I could even add all of the programs that I have had to download several times so that if things go wrong again I won't have so many to re download.

What system protection are you suggesting that I turn on Windows Defender?

As for all of the Windows update I has told my the shop that did the reinstall that the latest updates were huge & took forever to download.  I do know some people who say that they had no problems so maybe some dodged a bullet.  I have just read that the update reminders will soon be coming at you from everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:36:42 pm by Phototaker »
Thanks in advance

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 03:55:28 am »
I think that part of the problems that I experienced came from the fact that I think Windows 10 go itself into a knot when it came to identifying which USB was plugged in.  I have tried plugging in a few passport drives that both myself & a friend had & observed the following.  I could plug in a drive & it would say that it was 'g' drive.  I could then go & try another drive of both the same & different capacity & it too was called 'g' drive.

I have held off doing what I had done before I tried updating to Windows 10.  I wanted to get some logic with both the drive letters & names.  I have both  a CD R/W drive a s well as a separate Blue-ray R/W drive. Because these 2 don't get plugged in I wanted them well away from other drive letters so I called the 'Y' & 'Z' drive.  The a plug in SD card reader was called 's' drive.  A 500gb red passport that was called 'R' drive etc.

Is there any safe way to do this?

Maybe some of these names was picked up by Windows & created a conflict with other drives it wanted to assign the same letter to.  Is this possible & if so how does one fix this?  I have yet to read of any solution as to why there are many other people saying that their WD 2TB Passport Elite drives won't open in Windows as they can get a message, that might take 5 minute for Windows 10 to cough up,that some parameter is wrong?
Thanks in advance