Author Topic: Chkdsk freezes at 12%  (Read 12395 times)

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
Chkdsk freezes at 12%
« on: February 23, 2016, 08:35:28 pm »
    I'm in the process of a Win10 clean install on a rather complex desktop. I currently have 12 HDs one of which is a SSD (this is my boot drive). I was testing a beta version of Restore Point Creator which encountered a bug and in the pop-up the author suggested Windows Repair and I've installed it (v3.8.3) and started working my way through the steps. Step 3 checks to see if Check Disk is needed and it did say it was needed. Thus I decided to let it perform a CHKDSK on all 12 drives and elected to run in safe mode.
    • The first issue I encountered was with check disk on one of my drives, it froze at 12&. I let it run over night but in the AM it was still stuck at 12%. I attempted several reboots but the system immediately seem to start with the drive where it was stuck and would not go any further. I powered off and unplugged the drive, powered the system and a short time later another drive seemed to be stuck. I powered off and unplugged all drives except for the boot drive (the SSD).
    • Now the system would boot but only in Safe Mode. I made numerous retries but all resulted in booting into Safe Mode. During this time I encountered several BSOD.
    • I have also installed Restore Point Creator and it is scheduled to create a daily restore point at 0100 hours and at this time I performed a system restore using the RP that was created this AM. The restore was successful but still I could only boot to Safe Mode
    • I opened a CMD window as admin and issued "bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot" and was then able to reboot successfully.
  • I then opened Hard Disk Sentinel (it is always running in the background) and attempted to run the safe disk read/write where no data is destroyed but all of the drives I attempted to use could not be locked by HDS. I will be contacting the author to report this strange behavior.
I know of one other issue I currently have on the system but for now I don't want to go down this rabbit hole unless it will help with this situation. It has to do with the drives I've shared out. I have three laptops all running Win10 and one cannot access any of the drives, the other two can access some of the drives. Prior to installing Win10 on the desktop Win8.1 was installed and all laptops could access the drives. The drives have been shared with full permissions and I'm using simple networking.

Update 02/24
Last night I ran the READ test via Hard Disk Sentinel (Test - Reads the disk surface to verify if all sectors are accessible and readable. The test is safe, it does not affect stored data. Disk problems may remain hidden and revealed disk issues are NOT fixed (like with ScanDisk).) See the image for my successful results.

I also ran the ScanDisk utility (Driver properties > Tools > Check > Scan drive --- It reported that something was fixed, I ran it a 2nd time and in the Event Viewer in the General section I see the following. Both reports for the two runs are the same. I just ran the ScanDisk a 3rd time and the report is the same.

Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot. 

Checking file system on X:
Volume label is S4-X-WDRed4TB.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    Found corrupt basic file structure for "<0x12,0x12>"
        ... repaired online.
    Found corrupt basic file structure for "<0x13,0x13>"
        ... repaired online.

847104 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.

162 large file records processed.                                                                                                                           
  0 bad file records processed.                                     
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

918580 index entries processed.                                                        Index verification completed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.

35739 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has found problems and they were all fixed online.
No further action is required.

3815317 MB total disk space.
   3381229 MB in 432594 files.
    137584 KB in 35740 indexes.
   1032403 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 443336928 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 976721407 total allocation units on disk.
 110834232 allocation units available on disk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:39:20 am by jgt1942 »
jgt1942

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Chkdsk freezes at 12%
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 03:18:40 pm »
Does chkdsk /r still get stuck at 12%

If it does then it is either a bad sector after all OR bad memory. When chkdsk runs it will fill the memory and use as much as it can. So if say a part of your memory towards the end of it, the area you possibly rarely hit and is bad it would lock chkdsk right up.

So just to cover all the bases make sure to do a memory test as well :-)

Shane

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:13:54 am »
I ran the memory test, no issues were found. In a CMD window I then ran chkdsk /r on the drive it successfully ran. At this time I have not retried Tweaking.com.
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:20:17 am »
Have you viewed the chkdsk log in Event Viewer to see what it found/repaired ?

makinero

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:57 am »
First, check the integrity of system files
Run As Admin
sfc /scannow + SFCFix.exe
and show the log after scanning

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

Code: [Select]
SFCFix is a tool designed to automatically repair file system and registry corruptions detected by SFC /SCANNOW. SFCFix uses advanced algorithmic searches to find and replace corrupt/missing system files. This of course is just the tip of the iceberg, SFCFix has a lot more power than just explained, also what I have just explained is an over simplified description of one of the features. Most of you reading this will only be interested in getting these files repaired, so lets get started :) The simple explanation of using this tool is to first open a command prompt as administrator. 1: Type in "SFC /SCANNOW" 2: Download SFCFix from this page and run it. It may take up to 15 minutes. Once the scan has completed a notepad file called SFCFix.txt will launch with the results. A text file will open showing you the results. In a perfect world, it will tell you what file was corrupted and that it was fixed. If you don't see the words FIXED/REPAIRED then it did not fix the problem. Read more at: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:49:31 am by makinero »

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:53:30 pm »
I managed to get past the 12% issue but I'm not sure what the heck was the solution. I now have my laptop successfully running or so it seems. I can now successfully create nightly scheduled System Restore files, VSS is working and Acronis True Image is creating nightly incremental backup and weekly full backups. Now to get my wife's laptop working correctly.
jgt1942