Author Topic: Excessive time for a repair  (Read 6471 times)

Offline gardensuburb

• View Profile
Excessive time for a repair
« on: March 03, 2016, 11:48:18 am »
Repairs come with two warnings:
   This may take a long time
   Cancelling the repair may cause problems
This leaves two questions unanswered:
   How long is long? 5 hours? One day? 2 days?
   How to cancel the repair
I have used the repairs successfully several times and I am impressed by this tool, but each time I have had to interrupt an excessively long repair. In the most recent, the MDAC/Jet repair ran for 16 hours. CPU activity fluctuated around 13% and there were occasional writes to disk. Thus there was no way to tell conclusively if the repair was in a  loop. According to the rules I should have continued to wait - but 16 hours for one repair?  As soon as I closed the repair logging window the repairs resumed and rapidly ran to conclusion. The MDAC repair showed as "done". Was this the right thing to do?

Is there a better way to prove that a repair is not going to finish? This has happened every time I ran the repairs, always when the window reported that output was suspended to speed the repair.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Excessive time for a repair
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:42:16 pm »
- All repairs combined take about 30 minutes on my Win 7 system. So, any repair taking more than hour is "Excessive".
- Can you post a screenshot of where "Repair MDAC/MS Jet" goes "off the rails" ?

Offline Mintyyf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:25:53 pm »
After watching my own run for 2 hrs just for the first repair, I ended up at this thread and was pretty much having an anxiety attack after reading Willy 2's response for it taking 40 mins.

So I restarted in safe mode, ran it again, thinking maybe doing a single repair at a time would be better. It ran for 15 mins and again I was pretty much trippin'. I accidentally hit enter and than all this stuff happened. I don't know if its just me that missed the memo about having to hit enter in the command prompt window.. Or maybe is there and I'm just blind.. or maybe its just my laptop. Anyways its running blazingly fast now so perhaps you should try that?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 03:47:36 pm »
- Abort the program and run CHKDSK. And then run WR again. It could help.