Author Topic: The paging file is too small to complete this operation.  (Read 13170 times)

makinero

The paging file is too small to complete this operation.
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:39:34 pm »
Strange.
The first time I see this error.

Code: [Select]
The paging file is too small to complete this operation.

My setting Virtual Memory:

C:\
SSD:
Min:800 MB
Max:16400 MB

G:\
HDD:
Min:1024 MB
Max:1024 MB

Eg. I'm trying to open AVI Video size of about 180 MB

Edit:
Windows successfully diagnosed a condition of lack of virtual memory. The following programs consume most virtual memory: oodag.exe (5624) consumes 6,465,708,032 b

Code: [Select]
6 465 708 032 bytes = 6.46570803 gigabytes
The application periodically defragment the drives (eg. During idle or schedule)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:52:21 pm by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The paging file is too small to complete this operation.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:18:35 pm »
It shouldn't be trying to defrag your SSD - TRIM looks after that.

Does this program recognise a SSD to leave it alone ?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 10:52:10 pm »
Hmmmm let me see If paging files are defined across multiple disks, then the paging file that is available first is used .... So you see Im curious if your file you are opening is on your g: drive and since you have 2 page files its choosing that one. Which you have stated is only 1024 MB.
Julian

makinero

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 01:54:26 am »
Unspecifed Error Occured in the Operating System caused the removal of pagefile.sys from the C:\
When next start computer re-appear an important file pagefile.sys

Probably it was too little space C:
Disk 111 GB  / Free Space 18 GB

Enable: "Backup" on drive C:
(Restore Point)
"Restore previous versions of files"
~ 9GB
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:02:39 am by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:08:57 am »
When upgrading from Win 7 to 10, Windows can compact the OS should it consider it beneficial but I'm not sure if you can use the commands in this article for it to work in Win 7.

https://www.idelta.info/archives/about-the-compact-os-deployment-in-windows-10/

makinero

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 02:13:44 am »
It shouldn't be trying to defrag your SSD - TRIM looks after that.

Does this program recognise a SSD to leave it alone ?

https://blog.oo-software.com/en/defragmentation-and-ssds-opportunities-and-risks

O&O Defrag Tool consists of two technologies:
Trim SSD (fast action)
SSD Optimizer (slow action)

I got used to the old Sevens and I'm not going to change to another system.

Boggin:wink:

The new O&O Defrag 19 also brings along an SSD optimizer that improves the actual structure of a SSD file system. Since their introduction there has been an ongoing discussion as to whether SSDs can be defragmented or not. In theory it is barely necessary since they operate so fast and the lifespan of the drive is reduced the more write accesses are made. As such a comprehensive defragmentation is neither required nor desirable. That has always been taken into account with O&O Defrag.

In spite of this, SSD file systems suffer from an inherent fragmenting of data, just like a traditional hard disk. This can be particularly high with cheaper models with limited storage space and where memory usage has reached a high level. This fragmenting reduces the read and write performance. When heavily fragmented files are rewritten, the actual wear leveling performance is also reduced. The NTFS file system also soon reaches its performance limit when suffering from extreme fragmentation.

This is why O&O Defrag 19 now also provides an optimizer for SSDs which on the one hand resolves and prevents extreme fragmentation, and on the other hand ensures that unnecessary write operations are prevented and that the SSD optimization is rounded off with regular TRIM commands.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:29:45 am by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 02:40:19 am »
It doesn't seemed to have made a very good job of that if there's still 39.94% fragmentation - just what are you paying for with a paid for defragger ?

Windows has its own tools that can usually do the job better even if they can take a little bit longer than 3rd party programs, but of the couple of 3rd party defrag programs I've tried in the past, Windows has been the only one to give me 0% fragmentation on my HDD.

Personally, I'd ask for my money back as it doesn't appear to be doing what it says on the tin.