Author Topic: Win 10 won't boot except to Safe Mode  (Read 20210 times)

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
Win 10 won't boot except to Safe Mode
« on: October 03, 2016, 02:39:21 pm »
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 (Windows 7 upgraded to Win 10 a couple months ago).  Since I stopped a couple processes from running in Task Mgr (Message Control Plus, Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant), on startup I get a screen with Windows logo and circling dots under it (wait symbol), then the screen goes blank and I get a black screen with the circling dots.  I let it run like this for 2 hours and it just stayed on this screen.  I followed the procedures and ran Tweaking (attached) but no change. Sometimes, but not always I can press F5 while booting and get to Safe Mode and I think it actually booted correctly with F5 once or twice.  Sometimes I can get it to boot normally when pressing F8 during bootup.  When Safe Mode opens I get an error message "Get Started can't be opened by the Built-In Administrator account.  Sign in with a different account." Another error message often occurs at this point, "Windows Security Center can't be started."
One other thing, not long before this problem began I installed drivers, help, support, etc. for an HP wifi printer. I have since uninstalled it with no benfit.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 won't boot except to Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:16:27 pm »
Boot up into Safe Mode with Networking - you will need to Ethernet connect to have an Internet connection - and check to see if you have any restore points and then use one to go back to before the error if there are any.

If you don't then open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

If that reports that the OS is repairable then redo that command changing checkhealth with restorehealth

This can appear to hang at 20% but will complete.

Follow that with a sfc /scannow to see if it reports any corruption - if okay then reboot to see if it will boot up.

Offline Ollder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 02:30:28 am »
Mine Win 10 too,
just suddenly prevented to boot except to Safe Mode. Running Tweaking.com repaired the situation but on next restart this returned to Safe Mode. Tweaking.com is processing again, but I don't expect proper correction when not knowing the real problem. What should I check?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 03:07:38 am »
Mine Win 10 too,
just suddenly prevented to boot except to Safe Mode. Running Tweaking.com repaired the situation but on next restart this returned to Safe Mode. Tweaking.com is processing again, but I don't expect proper correction when not knowing the real problem. What should I check?

Are you saying that your machine only boots into Safe Mode or that you can only boot up to Safe Mode.

If you are saying that the machine always boots to Safe Mode, go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Boot tab uncheck any boxes below Safe boot then uncheck the box for Safe boot.

Click on Apply - OK and restart.

Offline Ollder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 04:22:18 am »
Sorry my English, said that I could not start to normal mode before running the Tweaking.com repair. And could not start e.g antivirus or install pgms etc. in Safe Mode (!?)... but (feeling so stupid now  :shy:) didn't even try MsConfig. However, seems to work now.
Thanks a lot.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 04:58:48 am »
That's okay :) and glad that you have it sorted.

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 10:18:06 am »
For some reason my posts aren't being displayed so I'll try this without the attachments.
Sorry for the delay.  I just returned home from vacation and now have access to repair disks, Ethernet, etc.
For some reason only 3 recent restore points were available (I'd like for it to save much more) and none changed the computer's behavior.
I also ran Windows Memory Diagnostics but can't find the log with results.
Ran dism...  and results are attached.  No corruptions were found.
Scannow results are attached.  Message indicated that some corruptions were found and fixed.
At this point no change in computer.  I can boot up only to Safe Mode with F5 or through the recovery disk.
With recovery disk I ran Startup Repair but it said Startup Repair couldn't repair the computer.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 12:33:33 pm »
What were the tasks that you stopped ?

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 01:22:06 pm »
Tasks deleted: Message Control Plus, Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.
I have attempted System Restore a couple more times. I may have indicated that the restore effort worked.  Actually, the message is that it wasn't completed and thus no files were changed.  Error: 0x80070002.  "failed to extract the file (D:\Windows\nativeimages_v2.0.50727_64\Microsoft.PowerShel#\bf173b)"  "The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore."  I don't think that there is a D drive on my computer and all files are on C. Also, when System Restore is ready to start, it indicates that the OS is Windows 7.  A couple months ago I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 and, indeed, it's running Win 10. 
I tried again to post with the CBS log file attached but this site wouldn't allow me to do so.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 01:38:30 pm »
Have you run Windows Repair again since the sfc /scannow ?

If you haven't then run it again to see if it fixes anything - I haven't read the previous logs because I probably wouldn't know what I was looking for.

If WR is unable to repair it again and I don't know if you'll be able to do this in Safe Mode with Networking, but see if you can perform a repair install by using the Upgrade now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I've upgraded two Win 7 laptops using this in the last two weeks so it should still be active.

This will install Win 10 onto your existing install without damaging your existing programs and files.

If none of the above works then I'll refer this to Shane.

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 12:46:46 pm »
I was able to reinstall windows and save files.  Now boots normally but very slow.  I completed all of the updates.
USB ports are not recognized, however.  USB doesn't even show up in Device Manager.  Tried to find a USB controller driver online but can't find one for this Lenovo Thinkpad E520 laptop.  Has Intel i5 chip.  Lenovo doesn't provide it.  They seem to only have Windows 7 host controller drivers.
Thanks for all of your help so far but there's a new problem to tackle.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 02:15:40 pm »
Try the Win 7 ones - it's surprising what Win 7 drivers work okay in Win 10.

How slow is the boot up ?

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 03:12:00 pm »
I installed USB3.0 Host Controller Driver.exe for Win 7 64bit from the Lenovo site but still no usb showing up in device manager.
The startup time has improved since I removed some of the items from Startup.  It takes about 3 1/2 minutes from starting until Task Manager shows a 0 for CPU.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 03:45:17 pm »
I consider the startup time from switching on to seeing the desktop and it can take Task Manager a little while to settle down after boot up.

Without going into Task Manager after booting, do you see a blue busy circle on the screen ?

I'm not sure if initially turning off fast startup and a reboot would reinstate the USB controllers or not, but give that a try.

You could also try the steps in this article to see if they help -

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-devices-not-working-windows

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 04:43:10 am »
I forgot to ask - did that Upgrade now button from the link work in Safe Mode ?

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 09:18:13 am »
The upgrade now didn't work within Safe Mode.  It started then stopped after 1% indicating that This will not work on your computer.
Current boot time with your parameters is one minute, twenty secs.
The blue circle only shows when I move the cursor and then only for 3-4 secs.
Turning off fast startup did not produce USBs in device mgr.
I couldn't use the recommendations in your referenced article because all require that USB be listed in device mgr.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 09:34:43 am »
How were you able to reinstall then if you could only work into Safe Mode ?

As your system now seems to be working of a sort, can you run Windows Repair, use Option 5 to create a registry back up and run just all of Repair 23 for the driver/file associations - you could run all of the repairs if you want but I think those will be the most relevant.

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 03:32:43 pm »
In Device Mgr there are 2 listings Other: Unknown.  They will not update the drivers and always return after deletion. Properties indicates "The drivers for this device are not installed." The driver is listed as oem44. When I opened oem44 listed in the Windows folder the description is "CougarPointUSB.inf.  Assigns the null driver to devices for yellow-bang removal and brand Intel devices.  Under Strings it says "PCI\Ven_8086&Dev_1C26Desc "Intel 6 series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller -1C26" In reviewing the Events it appears that both of these unsuccessfully attempt to load upon each startup but can't because "Device not configured."
Do you think that this might related to the problem with USBs that we have?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 03:58:57 pm »
It sounds like a good bet.

Create a restore point then download Intel's auto detect to see if that finds any drivers to update/install.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 06:00:30 pm »
I ran the Windows Repair but no change.  Still no USB.

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 04:00:31 pm »
I ran the scan which suggested that I install Chipset Device Software 10.1.1.14 even though current driver listed in scan as 11.0.0.1157 so I followed suggestion.  Result was no change in Device Mgr and when I ran scan again it showed exactly the same recommendation.
I went looking for the drivers 11.0.0.1157 and 10.1.1.14 to download.  In the process the Intel site indicated that "The Intel chipset device software does not install drivers for AGB or USB." Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree.
Driverscape Scan indicated that I should install
Intell HM65 Express chipset family LPC interface controller - 1C49 and
Intel 6 series/C 200 series chipset family pci express root port 3 - 1C14 but both of these drivers are already installed under System Devices.
(Really frustrated at this point.  Spent yet another day working on this damn computer)  Let's continue.

Regarding other symptoms, some places on my laptop has Win 7 listed as the OS while in other places Win 10 is listed.
Windows is constantly changing my defaults back to the Windows defaults.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »
When you go Start - type msconfig and press enter, which OS is listed under the Boot tab ?

You can install some drivers on top of existing ones if you want to give those a try.

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 06:35:40 am »
When System Configuration pops up nothing automatically shows but under the Boot option it indicates that Win 10 is the current OS.
Yes, I'm willing to try anything that you suggest.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 10:03:23 am »
I can't understand why you are still seeing aspects of Win 7  - where do you see them ?

Yes, I'd give those drivers a try.

Offline Curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:15 am »
In Windows Explorer the folder is listed as "Windows 7_OS(C:)" even as I open up folders beneath it.
I deleted the 2 Unknown Dev in dev mgr, restarted, then downloaded the 2 missing drivers 1C29 and 1C26 listed in windows update as being needed and ready.  Same error message regarding install "error 0x800f0219" for both.
Tried Microsoft Fixit to fix error listed above.  Site indicated that this error occurs when OS becomes misconfigured & files get damaged or are missing.  The site uses RegCure Pro which wanted payment.
Searched the Intel forum but fixes required that the USBs be listed in dev mgr.
Found these drivers at another forum but same error as before 0x800f0219.
Deleted unknown drivers again and through Win troubleshooting, all updates were deleted and reinstalled.
Restarted and 2 usb devices showed up in dev mgr but with same installation errors as above 0x800f0219.  Updating driver in dev mgr made usb disappear and show up as unknown device.
Uninstalled unknowns and installed intel update for chipsets.  It said current ver is 10.1.2.10 and asked if I wanted to install ver 9.2.0.1025 which I did. Install failed because "function driver was not specified"  Updating resulted in same message.  I have found these drivers or just a chipset fam usb driver at other sites and tried them with same results.
Also installed Renesas Electronics usb 3.0 (bkwrds compatible to 2.0) Control Driver for "intel destop boards" and Renesas usb 3.0 (bkwards 2.0) Host Control DRiver verr 2.0.4.0 which just installed under Programs (x86)\usb 3.0 host controller driver and nothing changed even when I ran the exe file.
Tried to download chipset host controller for win 7 and then run a compatibility adjustment.  I wasn't successful but not sure that I did it correctly.
There are a number of other people who experienced similar problems but each had usbs listed in dev mgr and updating driver in some way seemed to fix the issue for them.  Obviously, I can't do this.