Author Topic: Win 10 - cumulative updates seem to install, then roll back  (Read 23376 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 - cumulative updates seem to install, then roll back
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 12:17:16 am »
Yesterday when I was checking update history it said that KB3194798 had failed.

When I clicked on the fail date I got a pop up with a more info link which gave me a hyperlink to the MS Update Catalog, where I was able to select the one for x64 and that downloaded.

If you go this route then ensure you don't inadvertently click on the Server one.

After it had downloaded and I went back to Settings, things seemed to be running as they should be and included the rest of the updates which went onto install with the prompt to restart.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 03:16:04 am »
Hello Boggin, I do not get that link but upon clicking on the hyperlink failed date it goes to the more info hyperlink which enabled me to get to the download file page. At the moment the green progress bar appears to be sticking and avast taskbar icon is spinning to show it is checking the data. I don't know whether to switch out the avast shields in midstream in case a glitch occurs.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 03:22:03 am »
The install has succeeded and now says do a restart. There is a choice of restart, one of them says restart and the others says update and restart.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 03:40:07 am »
Failed again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 09:55:50 am »
I would uninstall Avast using its uninstaller right from the get go and try again - there have been a number of instances where Avast has caused problems with updates/upgrades.

Windows Defender will kick back in and keep you safe-ish.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 01:57:14 pm »
You can see by my latest posting that although I said I did not get the same link as you described I then set out what I did which happened to be the same path you took. I don't know about overflow but my senior moments appear to be in the same vein.....I will uninstall Avast and have another go. I hope I do not have to do this before every cumulative update. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »
If things work out with Avast uninstalled then perhaps it's time to look at other free AV programs.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-antivirus-1321277

Panda Cloud has come up in the ratings and shouldn't bog down your machine as it's working bits are in the Cloud.

I'm not sure if I read somewhere that Comodo includes its own adware, but it doesn't look very promising anyway from the review.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
Hello Boggin, I am also on the Avast Forum and someone there said do a clean install of Avast so will try that first and if u/s will uninstall it. Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 04:40:11 pm »
It looks like it's a common problem then and it's not just Avast, as I had to turn off both Norton's AV and Firewall to upgrade to Win 10, but it hasn't given me any problems since.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2016, 05:20:17 am »
Hello Boggin, uninstalling both Avast and SuperAntispyware still gave the same routine as when they were installed. On a restart computer says installing updates and after 7% it changes to saying could not install and so does a rollback. I just give up so will wait and see if MS will at some stage rectify the situation.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2016, 05:55:15 am »
Could be time to call MS in on this one as you've done all that can be done.

Help with updates from MS is free, so don't let them try to charge you for their Pro help and hopefully you'll get a tech who knows what they are talking about.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2016, 04:25:32 am »
Hello Boggin, I put the cumulative update problem on the Avast Forum and followed various inputs from a couple of long standing members but to no avail. Today I received a response from one of them after I had replied to their suggestions and he suggested I click on a hyperlink he supplied and it happened to be the Windows Repair program. I have the Pro version so wonder if it may contain an answer to the problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2016, 08:01:19 am »
I thought you had already tried it.

Be sure to use Option 5 to create a registry back up before running it.

I just hope you don't have any corrupt Package files in the Pre-Scan as Shane no longer does repairs for them because of all of and the type of updates Win 10 gets.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 08:57:08 am »
OK Boggin. I tend to make two registry backups with any situation where I may have to do a restore. One is with the system and the other with Tweaking Registry. The Tweaking one is made to an external HDD as in the past where I have had to do a restore and the system one has failed I have used the Tweaking one which has so far not failed me.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2016, 09:18:29 am »
I usually create a system image before running anything that can make major changes to the registry, as I've fallen foul with restore points where they have just hung and had no choice but to hit the power button - which invariably ended up with just a black screen and a big white pointer :D

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 07:44:15 am »
Hello Boggin, after trying every script, tips, cab files, registry cleanup and all appertaining fixes to W10 not updating cumulative updates I decided today to try the MS Media Creation Tool. As it appears that if one already has a version of W10 on their system the tool gives a choice of installing an update or making a W10 copy onto a USB etc for installing on another computer. I ticked the UPDATE and KEEP MY OWN FILES boxes and the result is that Winver is now 14393.321 and on the final restart all the icons that were selected to appear on the task bar did so. I did a power down and boot up again and searched for further updates. This resulted in Flash Player KB3194343 and Windows update KB3199209 (both not requiring restart) being installed so problem resolved. I will not add SOLVED to header as I an not the originator of the entry.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 08:00:38 am »
I think that's how I manually installed the AU which takes it up to 1607 14393.0 and the subsequent updates take it to .321 but it was trial and error for me as well until I disabled Norton Security.

Not sure how the OP got on with his problem and contacting MS, but I've since come across where someone was able to get their Educational version changed to the regular version via MS.

As you aren't the OP then you wouldn't be able to modify the opening post to add Solved - and I'll leave it open as well.