Author Topic: Audio/Video lag accompanied by sonic "belch"  (Read 7702 times)

Offline kelann08

• View Profile
Audio/Video lag accompanied by sonic "belch"
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:42:57 pm »
I've been having an issue for a while now where my computer will grunt or belch and experience a video lag at the same time.  This happens when playing audio (iTunes) or video (YouTube, video games, etc).  It is not limited to internet applications.  I've done many searches for this but can't seem to find an answer.  I have also deleted and reinstalled my sound drivers several times but the issue always comes back.  It's intermittent (good days and bad days) as well.  I can provide video of an example if necessary.  Thanks for the help!

Update: forgot to mention that sometimes it lags even w/out video or audio.  When typing my cursor freezes for a few seconds then nonstop types whatever letter I was on until I hit something to make it stop.  Looks like this: Typpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.  I hope that's clear enough.  Obviously audio belch since no audio is playing at the time.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:12:46 am by kelann08 »

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Re: Audio/Video lag accompanied by sonic "belch"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:48:12 am »
Hi, can you drill down into Reliability Reports and gives us any/all details from there that coincide with the issues reported?

Offline kelann08

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:39:43 am »
Yesterday I have a Windows Hardware Error labeled as a LiveKernelEvent.  It also happened on Nov. 8.  I had to look up what a LKE was but it appears to be the only relevant information from the report.  Reliability floats around five.

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:14:02 am »
Could you dig into the details of the LKE, I suspect it's a 0x00000117, a TDR - Video Time out Detection and Recovery, there was a 'logjam' with the graphics waiting for a response from the CPU, which was busy - locked up waiting for, or dealing with, *something else*. At the time out, Windows triggered a reset of the graphics (you might have noticed the screen flashing black).

If so, the best troubleshooting method I know of is here, there are a lot of possible causes :(

Offline kelann08

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:21 am »
Problem Event Name:   LiveKernelEvent
Code:   ab
Parameter 1:   4
Parameter 2:   5c0
Parameter 3:   a20
Parameter 4:   c00000009
OS version:   10_0_14393
Service Pack:   0_0

The LKE does not correspond with the issue I'm having.  These issues happen dozens of times an hour and sometimes never all day.  The LKEs are twice, at specific times, weeks apart.  There is no black screen.  I'll find a way to post the video I took of it happening.

Offline kelann08

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 10:28:51 am »
Here's a video I took of the issue in action.  It happens three times, watch the player in the bottom right for the first visual sign.  The second is easy to see and the third comes at the very end and is mostly audio.  Deepest apologies to any Cardinals fans who may view this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZWqnkEBh-8

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 11:45:48 am »
STOP 0x000000AB: SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT   
Usual causes:  A bug in Win32k.sys, Atmfd.dll, Rdpdd.dll, or a video driver.

All the above named files are display -related, Win32k, an MS driver for the graphics subsystem, an Adobe font library dll and MS Remote Desktop/Terminal Services? display dll:

WinDbg Output Example:
SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT (ab)
Caused by a session driver not freeing its pool allocations prior to a
session unload.  This indicates a bug in win32k.sys, atmfd.dll,
rdpdd.dll or a video driver.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, session ID
Arg2: 0000000000000000, number of paged pool bytes that are leaking
Arg3: 0000000000000000, number of nonpaged pool bytes that are leaking
Arg4: 0000000000000000, total number of paged and nonpaged allocations that are leaking.
    nonpaged allocations are in the upper half of this word,
    paged allocations are in the lower half of this word.

Okay, so if we give MS benefit of the doubt and blame the 3rd party graphics drivers, can you either roll back the drivers from Device Manager or install the latest drivers for your card?

I would also block Windows Update from checking for/installing hardware drivers as well, at least during troubleshooting.