Author Topic: Schannel ... 36887 ... Fatal Error: 40  (Read 10553 times)

Offline KR

• View Profile
Schannel ... 36887 ... Fatal Error: 40
« on: December 26, 2016, 09:53:37 am »
Hello Forum,
I have been researching a lot but could NOT find a satisfying answer to Piling errors in event viewer (administrative):

Schannel ... 36887 ... Fatal Error: 40

It started only lately and they are coming again and again - always in pairs, identical, every 15 min. or so
Some say its an IE problem (TSL, Handshake...?) I'm not a computer geek and don't know most of the things they are talking about.
(Im using Chrome, not IE, but am afraid to disable it because it supposedly effects other features??)

Is there any advice or does Windows repair tool address this? Or any other tool?
I wouldn't ask here if there was anything usable outhere.
At the same time I'm concerned what the repair tool will do to all my custom settings on my machine ...?

Win7 - 64 bit - SSD for OS - 16 Gig

Thanks all!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:54:53 am by KR »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Schannel ... 36887 ... Fatal Error: 40
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:55:57 pm »
I was getting Fatal Error 70 as well in my Win 7 but couldn't nail down what was causing them or what effects they had.

Quite often I would be inundated with them then they would no longer appear - I just ignored them in the end.

Are you noticing any adverse effects in anything when you get them ?

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 03:11:39 pm »
There seems to be a difference between 40 and 70 - in my case the come all the time - not only at start up - after working for an hour dozens ... something seems to try to connect but fails ... see here: https://lists.purdue.edu/pipermail/steam-advisory/2014-November/000086.html
No- otherwise machine runs well (Perf.Score 7.7) - boot time 25 sec. ... but this is a working machine for image editing, very lean

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 03:55:32 pm »
I think I've had 40 as well but can't remember and while that is the most comprehensive fix I've seen, then it would just seem to relate to connectivity and not to what you are doing on your computer.

If you go ahead with those registry changes then use Option 5 in the Windows Repair program to back up your registry first.

I prefer to trust that registry back up rather than relying on restore points.

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 05:22:30 am »
Hi Boggin,
for sure - I always make registry backups when doing something like this.
I have system restore completely turned off and make system images every week or so - or before changes. (with Macrium/Reflect)
But - yes, I'll do reg backyps of that larger section.
And yes - it seems to be connectivity / TSL / SSL / Server stuff (of which I have no knowledge) and has nothing to do with what I do on the computer.

Thanks   I'll let you knw how it turned out
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:38:07 am by KR »

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:07:51 am »
FIXED!
I ran Tweak.com Windows Repair ...
Not only did it NOT change any of my personal settings or customizations but it also fized the Schannel 36887 error.
It is not showing anymore in Event Viewer!
Very Happy!! Boot time also: 26 sec.!
Aside that, a couple of previous Warnings showed which I easily fixed by re-setting a few services to what they were before using the tool .. and ... bingo .. all good
Thanks Tweak.com - I know now that using this tool is usefull and not dangerous.
Might consider the Pro Version

Cheers

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 06:45:36 am »
Glad to see that WR did the job for you.

It's been a while since I last saw that error but will remember to run WR as a fix if it causes me any problems.

Shane would very much like for you to seriously consider getting the Pro version as it will help to support him in his work on the program - I did :)

If you go back to your opening post, click on Modify, you can then add [SOLVED] to the thread title.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:47:52 am by Boggin »