Author Topic: What to do when SFC /SCANNOW comes back with errors?  (Read 5711 times)

Offline The BIG Consultant

• View Profile
What to do when SFC /SCANNOW comes back with errors?
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:06:05 pm »

Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot some drivers not installing, and I ran SFC /SCANNOW

However, it says Windows Resource Protection found some corrupt files.

Is it possible for me to troubleshoot this?

Kind regards,
John

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What to do when SFC /SCANNOW comes back with errors?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 12:34:57 pm »
Straight after a sfc /scannow you could enter this cmd which will put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS log in Notepad.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

You can copy & paste that cmd to the cmd prompt to avoid any typos.

There's also a 3rd party program which should also be run straight after a sfc /scannow when it reports it is unable to repair some files, because the CBS log can be volatile and that is SFCFix.exe

This program will produce its own report and in some instances can repair what a sfc /scannow cannot.

http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic-sfc-corruption-repair-sfcfix-exe/

Which drivers aren't installing and have you checked Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices to look for any yellow alerts, red crosses or black downward pointing arrows.

Also check that the device is installed for the driver you are trying to install.

In Device Manager, right click on the device that you are trying to install a driver for and select Properties where under the General tab will show you the status of the device.

What error messages are you getting if any when the install fails ?

If you aren't getting any error messages then go Start - start to type reliability and press enter when View reliability history is highlighted, then you can click on any red crosses or info for the days those are recorded.

Event Viewer is also another source of info as to why a driver won't install.

Offline The BIG Consultant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:26:04 am »

Wow!

What a great answer!

1. I knew about CBS log, but I tried to read it earlier, and it is practically unreadable (its so long).

2. The 3rd Party programme, SFCFix is a new one. I've run it, and its exported a much smaller file, in which makes it easier to see the corrupt files:

Code: [Select]
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2016-12-29 13:00:12.129
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - amd64
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
FIXED: Corruption at C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-s..ologies-webcontrols_31bf3856ad364e35_7.1.7600.16395_none_39bc056e339474f4\npWatWeb.dll has been successfully repaired from C:\Windows\System32\Wat\npWatWeb.dll.
FIXED: Corruption at C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-s..ologies-webcontrols_31bf3856ad364e35_7.1.7600.16395_none_39bc056e339474f4\WatWeb.dll has been successfully repaired from C:\Windows\System32\Wat\WatWeb.dll.

CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..inboxgames-shanghai_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_1c98ed5d08db04ce\Mahjong.dll
CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ivationtechnologies_31bf3856ad364e35_7.1.7600.16395_none_89cb1e5f7a64822b\WatAdminSvc.exe
CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ivationtechnologies_31bf3856ad364e35_7.1.7600.16395_none_89cb1e5f7a64822b\WatUX.exe
CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ologies-webcontrols_31bf3856ad364e35_7.1.7600.16395_none_95daa0f1ebf1e62a\npWatWeb.dll
CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ologies-webcontrols_31bf3856ad364e35_7.1.7600.16395_none_95daa0f1ebf1e62a\WatWeb.dll
CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-accessibilitycpl_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_5b652abeb21da986\accessibilitycpl.dll

SUMMARY: Some corruptions could not be fixed automatically. Seek advice from helper or sysnative.com.
   CBS & SFC total detected corruption count:     8
   CBS & SFC total unimportant corruption count:  0
   CBS & SFC total fixed corruption count:        2
   SURT total detected corruption count:          0
   SURT total unimportant corruption count:       0
   SURT total fixed corruption count:             0
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 5 datablocks.
Finish time: 2016-12-29 13:04:13.165
----------------------EOF-----------------------

3. I have checked Device Manager many times. But I did not know about the 'hidden devices' under Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices.

However, no extra missing devices were found.

4. By device is installed, I am guessing that you mean that the hardware is plugged in and supplied with power where appropriate?

5. I tried right clicking in Properties, and did not notice the "Device Status" box before. ... I had been looking on the 'details' tab, and searching through the 'property' tabs for info: No doubt wasting a lot of time.

The device status for 'Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller' is "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
"

a. Using online option, their is a "problem installing" which is what is infuriating me! ... No error code given.

b. The "Unknown Device" ... This gives Code 43 ... Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.
- However, on the General Tab, its location is reported as 'Port_#0001.Hub_#0008'

6. The reliability tool is amazing. I cant believe that I did not know about this. However, its not reporting any of the driver install attempts/failures.

7. Event Viewer looks like a great tool too. However, there are simply so many logs, I cant find the item for drivers (if there is one?).
- Can I create a "custom view" that would be easy for a beginner to use?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 06:15:45 am »
Unless you use Show hidden devices, you will be unable to access Non-Plug and Play Drivers which also include some Services Dependencies and is where you would see any yellow alerts for such services.

You can right click on those Unknown Devices and select Uninstall, although while you have the card plugged in they may pop up again because of the driver problem.

I was thinking about compatibility and found this article, so it may not be plugged in correctly for it to give a not configured properly error.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043035/how-to-add-usb-3-0-to-your-desktop-pc.html

In Event Viewer look for Errors with date and time stamps to match when the driver failed to install.

I wouldn't bother with that Mahjong.dll but the WatAdminSVC.exe is supposed to run on Start to check the activation.

To get that to work you may have to factory reset or clean install the machine as I'm not sure if even an offboot sfc /scannow would fix that.

Window Updates had one that checked the validity of the install - do you have all of the updates installed ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 06:41:18 am »
I'm not sure if uninstalling KB971033 and then direct downloading will fix that WatAdminSvc.exe but you could give it a try.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971033

Go to Installed Updates and enter that KB into the top right search box and when it comes up, right click on it and select Uninstall.

It can take a while and after the reboot will then have to reconfigure the updates first before you can reinstall.