Author Topic: SOLVED: Windows 7 Update error 0x80070003 - Need HELP  (Read 6003 times)

Offline RedCyn1101

• View Profile
SOLVED: Windows 7 Update error 0x80070003 - Need HELP
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:45:50 am »
I have run the windows support files to repair this error as well as the all-in-1-repair. I am getting nowhere. Windows support tells me to reinstall windows. tweaking.com gets me to "Windows Update is currently turned off" and when I select Automatic another box pops up saying the "file is inaccessible". Is my only option to reinstall Windows?

Running Windows 7 Home on laptop - last Windows update was 2015. Also tried Windows standalone updater...NOT.

Please help. :cry:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:35:48 pm by RedCyn1101 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Update error 0x80070003 - Need HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:56:45 am »
What does a sfc /scannow report from an admin run command prompt ?

If it reports it is unable to repair all files then copy & paste or type and enter this command -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto your desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS log in Notepad with what it could and couldn't repair.

You could also download and run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) from https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness-tool

Scroll down and select the applicable version.

It's a 533MB download so you may as well select Save should you need to run it again.

Its log can be found in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one.

Offline RedCyn1101

• View Profile
SOLVED: Re: Windows 7 Update error 0x80070003 - Need HELP
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 12:34:35 pm »
I appreciate your help, however, none of those worked for me.

The sfc /scannow window popped up for 1 second and was gone.
The next command would not create a window or the icon you said.
I tried the SURT...nada.

After reading some of the other issues, I finally went straight to Windows.com downloads, chose 1 update & downloaded Windows Update KB3102810
That worked! Once I downloaded just that one, off my laptop went to find more and download them itself. And its still working!

I am now current again! YIPEEE!!!! :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED: Windows 7 Update error 0x80070003 - Need HELP
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 03:07:26 pm »
When you have update problems, that update or similar don't always install.

Can you try the sfc /scannow again - did you run that from a command prompt run as an admin by going Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and then enter sfc /scannow

From what you describe, it sounds as if you have typed that cmd directly from Start.

The cmd that puts an icon onto the desktop needs a CBS log created by a sfc /scannow.

However, glad to see that your update problem is resolved.