Author Topic: Tweaking Registry Backup crashing (followup)  (Read 4218 times)

Offline pol098

• View Profile
Tweaking Registry Backup crashing (followup)
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:26:02 am »
I don't seem to be able to add to previous threads; this relates to existing threads
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4281.msg32230.html#msg32230 Registry Backup crashing
and
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4514.msg33092.html#msg33092 Registry backup crashes Win10, auto mode. MSVBVM60.DLL bug

The problem: automatic registry backup (5 minutes after booting) doesn't work. See the other threads for details. Manual backup seems to work fine,

I've just received a private message "Has there been a fix?". This is a response; unlike my earlier posts I'm replying from fading memory of what I did next, so not totally reliable. I haven't retested recently, but I'm not particularly hopeful. My opinion has changed somewhat; while the error messages about MSVBVM60.DLL were real, I don't think that they relate to this problem, but are a harmless error that doesn't actually affect registry backup. My best guess is that it is something to do with permissions. I'm backing up to a a data drive (D:); as far as I remember, automatic backup to the system drive (C:) did work, but I don't want to do that. The obvious answer is a permissions problem, but giving unrestricted access to the specified backup directory did not help.

This is just a response to the question received; I haven't actively done anything at all since the earlier thread, and make manual registry backups. I think I tested the current release of Registry Backup (released quite a while ago) for automatic operation, without success, but am not sure. HTH

Added 1Dec17: I've quite often found that various problems that couldn't be solved eventually go away, due presumably to updating of operating systems, drivers, etc. As this old problem has just been reported to me in a personal message, I'd guess that it's still there today. Windows 10 is more or less guaranteed to be up-to-date for everyone. The problem occurs when using Windows Task Scheduler; maybe it could be worked around by using a third-party scheduling program (the old Windows "at" command and its replacement "schtasks" use the Task Scheduler service)?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:35:29 am by pol098, Reason: add related comments »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking Registry Backup crashing (followup)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:49:32 am »
Threads are automatically locked 30 days from the last reply.

I also got a PM from baddog regarding the registry back up crashing Win 10 and tried mine which did not affect my Win 10.

However, when the registry back up is auto done on opening the repairs, it appears to be instant whereas when you manually do it, it takes longer.

I haven't tried to restore from an auto back up so don't know how effective that is but from the dropdown, one has been created.

I have nonetheless passed on baddog's concern.

Offline pol098

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:16:16 am »
Threads are automatically locked 30 days from the last reply.
Not about the topic, but about the forum setup: it would be useful to explain that older threads are read-only on the page, rather than simply remove the Reply button (unless it already is explained, and I missed it ...) It would have saved me a few minutes and some frustration; probably quite a lot of person-hours over all users and for all threads.

Best wishes

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 05:32:24 am »
In the forum to the left of a thread title you will see a lock, but when you click on a link provided by someone else then you will go straight into the thread, unaware that it is locked.