Author Topic: Didn't Fix Windows Restore Problems  (Read 19697 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't Fix Windows Restore Problems
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 01:58:32 pm »

Shane

Offline jcjules

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 03:13:29 pm »
Shane:

So glad that I could do something for you.

I have two other new "tech tips" that might be of interest to you.

First, after I installed a fresh copy of Windows, I started getting error messages saying that some unidentified program had caused C++ to end unexpectedly. Since the message never identified the program having the problem, I didn't have many options.  So, I tried the Windows "Repair" - i.e. opening the Windows installation disk from the Desktop and "upgrading" to reload the full Windows (but to retain all programs and configurations).  The "Repair" forced me to re-load most of my device drivers, and to re-run the Windows "Update."  Otherwise, it worked great - including curing the C++ error.

Second, I had an interesting tech experience with ASUS - my motherboard manufacturer.  (The first time) I installed Windows, I used my motherboard installation disk to load my device drivers.  Unfortunately, they were mostly out of date and so Windows Device Manager later went on line, found updated drivers, and replaced them.  Unfortunately, using Windows to load the drivers - rather than the ASUS "driver update", caused an error message to pop up every time I booted the computer.  Because I had originally used ASUS, ASUS continued to load and look at the device drivers to check for updates.  When Windows actually loaded those updates, rather than ASUS, ASUS reported an error for each device.  Each Error messages read something like "123321LOG.ini is missing"  I called ASUS for the source of the program running the device driver checks and they "couldn't tell me".  Instead, ASUS reported that the only "known solution" to this problem was to format the hard drive, and load a fresh copy of Windows.  I refused their advice.  Instead, I went into Regedit and did a search for "ASUS".  That came up with too many references.  So I changed the search to just the different file numbers - and found one key for each file number.  I deleted those four keys, rebooted, and the problem was solved.  My solution took less than an hour.  I couldn't believe that ASUS would offer its customers ONLY the advice to format and reinstall Windows.

Anyway, everything is back and running fine.  I am making a full system backup as I write you this note.  All is good with the world.

Thanks again for your help.

Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 08:13:35 pm »
Good to hear your up and running good :-)

Shane