Author Topic: Installer cannot remove/modify old reg stuff of itself  (Read 5745 times)

Offline brac37

• View Profile
Installer cannot remove/modify old reg stuff of itself
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:12:47 pm »
Hello all,

I have a problem with the installer of the HP deskjet F300 series. The problem is that it cannot delete or modify registry key it has added long ago. This problem came up when I tried to reinstall the printer driver. I have already run "Reset Registry Permissions", but that did not help.

Any idea's?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Installer cannot remove/modify old reg stuff of itself
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:16:33 pm »
Do you know which keys need to be deleted and if so have you tried deleting them yourself?

Shane

Offline brac37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 03:27:17 pm »
Not exactly, but I think it is almost everything. The first thing the installer does not update is the path where it extracts itself. This is a subdirectory of the temp directory. The path does not change when you move the temp folder and even when you login as a different user, the path remains the the same. I was able to circumvent that problem by moving the extracted folder to the old registry path and rerun. The driver seem to install itself (or to install hardly, but the rest being already in place). But the printer initialization is not finished properly. It seems that the printer is actually initialized well (or still is by unremoved keys), but the installer detects that it fails to record that, so that only non-hp application (read: windows) will run afterwards.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 03:49:47 pm »
Try removing the HP keys in the registry.

In regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software

Delete Hewlett packard and the HP folder. Then see if the setup is still being a pain. You could also just click add printer and point Windows to the drive and have Windows install it. You will have the printer just not all the HP software tat comes with it.

Shane